Cloud Atlas - the movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

Wow. I don't know whether to be excited or not. I don't think it's unfilmable in a 'you cannot make a film of it' way. But it might be unfilmable in a 'you'd never be able to capture what it's really about' way. I worry that the Wachowski brothers will miss the point a bit.

What do you lot think?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/29/tom-tykwer-adapting-cloud-atlas-with-wachowski-brothers/

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

Judging by the people involved, this is a hilariously apalling idea. The only way I think you could make a good film based on Cloud Atlas would be to travel back to the early 70s and give it to a mentallist auteur from that heyday of surrealistic film (Wojciech Has or Alejandro Jodorowsky, say) to rip up and reconstruct. Or, you know, just give it to Terry Gilliam - it must be right up his street.

Comment

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

I s'pose the other way to do it is to get different directors for the different sections and then knit them all together afterwards. Mind you, that could well end up with the whole being less than the sum of its parts, like that New York Stories thing that Scorsese, Coppola and Woody Allen did. If we're going to give it to a mentalist auteur, how about letting Carlos Reygadas (Japon/Battle In Heaven/Silent Light) have a crack?

Comment

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

I think it could be really interesting to film Cloud Atlas just as it was written, with the various stories' beginnings and endings coming before and after the post-apocalyptic story in the middle. (Assuming I'm remembering the book's structure correctly. It was kind of a pyramid of stories, right?) Unfortunately, after enduring the second Matrix movie, I can't imagine anything good coming out of the Wachowski brothers' involvement with this.

Comment

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

Surely this is completly unworkable. If the film is, say, two hours long, then each story gets twenty minutes each, or ten minutes per section if they film it like the book.
          The article mentions not using all the stories, but if it does that then it loses the magic of the book.
          And which stories would they use anyway? Luisa Rey might possibly work, but Timothy Cavendish? And they better not use my favourite - Robert Frobisher...

Awful idea.

(If they did a decent budget 12 part series on TV with each section getting a couple of hours each though, then I might be swayed.)

Comment

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

... actually Somni 451 saw a film of Timothy Cavendish, so perhaps there is a classic in there somewhere!

Comment

Cloud Atlas - the movie!

I would have thought that if the Wachowski Brothers were going to film a Mitchell book, Number 9 Dream and Ghostwritten would have been much more obvious choices.

Ken Watanabe (or someone with a similar geist) as the Mongolian secret agent would be bitchin'.

Comment

Working...
              X