Where's the Star Trek thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has no one seen this yet? The reviews have been pretty good, so I'm going to give it a go tonight.

I'm pretty certain I did put up a link to the trailersba while ago. Anyway, have just been to see this and it's much much better than it ought to be. It doffs it's cap appropriately to the nerds whilst not pandering to them and is really quite deftly done. J.J.Abrams was a perfect choice for this. Just see what happens before the opening credits! Typical of him - cloverfield, alias, lost. Stuff happens before you've got a chance to get settled.

****************mild spoiler alert***************

How long can Leonard Nimoy keep milking this? Does he have no dignity?!

Comment

Yes, I really enjoyed it. You're right--by all rights it could have really stunk, but the script, pacing and the very well-rounded characters were all spot-on.

Comment

Ah good. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Comment

Very enthusiastic write up in today's Guardian from Peter Bradshaw. Five stars.

Comment

Five stars in the Times yesterday too. (It came free with our 1st ever Ocado delivery.)

Comment

Never been much of a Star Trek fan (more of a Whovian) but I got a CD of the best of Nimoy & Shatner through the post yesterday. Only had a quick listen to bits of it but I think it's definitely going to hit my kitsch spot.

Comment

gt3 wrote:
                ITypical of him - cloverfield, alias, lost. Stuff happens before you've got a chance to get settled
                Hmm. That's definitely not a compliment you could aim at Cloverfield.

Comment

Very enthusiastic write up in today's Guardian from Peter Bradshaw. Five stars.

Yeah, I read that, a rare step out of character for a critic who's usually averse to effects-heavy mainstream crowd-pleasers. Here it is, for your perusal.

"This new Star Trek is fast-moving, funny, exciting warp-speed entertainment and, heaven help me, even quite moving"

Whoa, steady on there, Pete!

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

Comment

The Onion is spot on as usual:
                    Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable' (video)

Comment

This is all blasphemy.

There is no Kirk but Shatner.

You will all be eternally damned.

Comment

Jesus wept.

Comment

He liked the film that much?

Comment

Can't wait to see this m'self.

I've heard that Spock and Uhura are a couple...

Comment

Mumpo - actually, guess you're right about Cloverfield, but then as I (perhaps incorrectly) recall there are no opening credits...

Hobbes - you're just showing off in a loadsamoney kind of way. Ocado? The rest of us are doing well these days to afford Aldi!

Comment

Wasn't me who paid for it. I just told P it was her turn to do the bloody shopping.

Comment

Excuses, excuses...

I saw this on Friday. Really enjoyed it. I've read a lot of whining on other message boards about how it isn't "canon" and full of plot holes. I just thought it was a good science fiction action film with some fairly decent characters.

Comment

I've read a lot of whining on other message boards about how it isn't "canon" and full of plot holes.

I can't understand that kind of fan narrow-mindedness, where you even get some planks who won't go and see it because Uhura wears her silver communicator plug thing in the wrong ear or something. They should be happy that someone is upgrading their prized possession for a new audience that might be persuaded enough to go and take a gander at the historical back catalogue of the series, rather like film adptations of novels that make viewers want to go and read the originals to see if they measure up or even improve upon the adaptation itself.

Comment

This is the quote that most got my back up:

Sounds like Abrams et al have an equally minimal knowledge or regard for the canon, for the admittedly ridiculous fake science and for the minimal considerations for how a fleet would operate. They should have just let Michael Bay have this one. Sounds like we have 90201/'Splodey Trek.

Moreover, the people who like this movie seem to like it in direct proportion to their knowledge or expectations of plot logic, canon concepts and the like.

God forbid that people might like a movie because, you know, it's an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.

Comment

I'm a Trekkie and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. As long as its not another "I'm really angry with the universe and I'm going to kill all of you" rumpus that was Star Trek: Nemesis...

*MINOR SPOILER*

The whole point behind some of the changes is that the Trek timeline is altered slightly due to Nero coming back and wreaking havoc.

*END MINOR SPOILER*

The trailers look great, the reviews have been great (96% on Rotten Tomatoes) and it looks and sounds like a blast. Even Chris Pine has been getting rave reviews for his portrayal of Ca..pta..in KIRK! , something that many thought that he would be unable to pull off...

I remember Batman fans making a similar amount of noise when they heard that Heath Ledger was being cast as The Joker. Abrams could have cast Rafa Benitez as Captain Kirk and I would still (grudgingly) go to see it...

Comment

"Canon"? Oh for fuck's sake. Canon.

Comment

They didn't have canons, they had photon torpedoes. Ha,ha, gee that's amusing. You see canon sounds the same as cannon.

Anyway, the movie was great fun with people aged 12 to 45 in our group all enjoying it. It's directed well, its pacy, the performances are good and in one case eerie, there are some deft humorous touches and acknowledgments to the original and to other sci-fi movies.

It does have to be said though that some members of the audience were stereotypes come to life.

One down side was my aversion to the movies being reinforced by the idiotic girl behind us who kept talking to her mate throughout. Don't fucking go if you don't want to watch it.

Comment

This is from the Wikipedia page on "Star Trek canon":

As a rule, all live action Star Trek TV series that aired are considered canon, while the cartoon Star Trek: The Animated Series and the planned but cancelled live action Star Trek: Phase II are not canon.[1] However, this policy does not make clear which version of the live action shows is the canon one. Indeed, there exist longer and shorter versions of several episodes. For example, in the 1960s during the original run of the Star Trek TV series (TOS), an hour-long show was actually 51 minutes excluding commercials, and modern DVD releases of TOS episodes are also 51 minutes long. However, as of 2007[update], an hour-long show on television is only about 42 minutes long. The canonicity of the missing nine minutes of material in modern airings of TOS episodes has never been addressed. Likewise, when special two-hour-long episodes are aired as two one-hour-long episodes in syndication, several minutes of material have to be cut to make time for the duplication of the opening and closing credits. The canonicity of this cut material has also never been addressed. Finally, the remastered TOS episodes released in 2006 present several visual differences from the episodes originally aired.[2] Once again, no official statements have been made regarding the question of which version of these episodes is canon.
                                              That's just the first paragraph, and there are about fifteen like it.

Of course, we Dr Who fans would never get involved in that sort of malarkey.

Comment

All right. I'm taking off work at lunch to see this with an old mate who originally turned me on to Trek and with whom I pulled off this stunt almost twenty years ago.

I'm still deeply troubled by this, though. All the more so since Abrams is brutally reminding me of my age by casting my late teen crush as Spock's mother. Asshole.

Comment

I'm not a Trekkie, but I don't dislike it either. But I have no desire to see this film, despite the reviews and the recommendations of various friends. The trailers have totally put me off - the main actors appear to be about 14.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X