Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wire Series 1

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
    Oh yeah, Wee Bey's another Entourage/Wire crossover. He turns up in Entourage as Saigon's manager.
    He also plays right-back for TFC.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

CHEESE FRIES, BABY !!!

Comment

The Wire Series 1

***SERIES 3 NOT A PLOT SPOILER AT ALL, JUST A CAST SPOILER, BUT THAT STILL MIGHT BE A BIT TOO SPOILY FOR SOME PEOPLE***

Ah man. Two episodes into series 3, and I'm having a hard time taking (famous rapper) seriously as anyone other than (famous rapper). Supercool though he is. That voice is just unmistakeable. (Loved hearing Cop A doing an impression of it, though.)

***NON-SPOILER OVER***

Comment

The Wire Series 1

If, like me, you're following it on the BBC and are way behind most people, this is a really frustrating thread.

I watched the final episode of Series 1 last night and immediately turned over to watch ER. Now, I've always been a big fan of ER and have followed it through its peaks and troughs, admiring its integrity and commitment to dealing with complex issues, but by comparison to the Wire it just seemed so glossy, superficial and contrived.

That's the good and bad thing about the Wire, everything else just resembles Ugly Betty-style fluff when set alongside it. I'm not sure television will be the same again for me, but I suspect that's probably a good thing.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

I didn't expect that.

I had to postpone watching the climactic episode of Season 1 because the GLW got so into the first ten minutes of episode 1 when I insisted she watch it that we've spent the last two evenings playing frantic catch-up. Reminds me why I love her, I guess.

So; last episode - satisfyingly unsatisfying is how I'd probably describe it.

SPOILERS

Heartbreaking to see D'Angelo crumble like that. Shit, taking 20 years for a family he hates and who never did anything for him but to get him out of the shit they threw him into. And even then for the wrong reasons. And strangely it never occurred to me to doubt his original version of the murder of Avon's ex. Of course it was Wee-Bey. Of course D was just bigging himself up to try and humble the sofa boys. Of course it didn't work. Of course it just taught Bodie and Poot that that's the way things get done. Tragedy. Proper, Greek, Shakespearean tragedy. Imagine Julius Caesar meets Richard III.

Woo-hoo! Four more seasons to look forward to!

Boo-hoo. Only four more seasons to look forward to.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

SR-Don't worry. You're in good hands.

I want to tell you what characters to pay attention to, because they introduce so many new ones that it's hard to keep track, and some look kinda similar, but I don't want to if you don't want me to. It's just that I was confused for much of the season with what character was which, when I didn't have to be. (In other words, it wasn't really necessary to the plot to actually be confused.)

Purves - My favorite scene is the final confession of D'Angelo, before McNutty and Rhonda have sex in the parking lot. Just he way they shot it, how he was so calm and read everything like a mantra, and how his mom came in and how that was part of the rhythm of everything, it was just beautiful. "I want to breathe like regular folk."

I also love the last scene with Bunk "teaching" the other cops, and how Snydor just is amazed with everything and says how it's the best case he ever worked on. Even though it wasn't perfect, even though no one got what they wanted, it was still so much more than what they bargained for.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

You're right - it's like how Daniels explains it that you do what you're taught. So even when that fuckup Herc starts giving it loads about brainpower to the new guys on the team, you're thining "yeah".

Comment

The Wire Series 1

The 2nd serious is delayed on the BBC due to the fuckin snooker....guess Ill have to get the "Homocide series 2" boxset out now. After "Spiral" finishes tonight.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Rueful warning: DO NOT LOOK AT THE BARKSDALE ORGANISATION FAMILY TREE JPG ON WIKIPEDIA FOR SERIES 3 (or, I guess, any of the other series).

Spoilering cunts.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

I told you to come to me SR, I had the good shit that won't give you an info OD. Now don't look at any other shit, because there's so many more twists and turns that are mind-blowing.

The worst was Ed Lover (the schmuck from Yo MTV Raps,) when he said that same spoiler the day after it aired. I'll never forgive that cunt for that one.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

If we're doing Wire/football likey-lookies I'm sure Dominic West & Michael Ballack must have been mentioned here before.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                          Rueful warning: DO NOT LOOK AT THE BARKSDALE ORGANISATION FAMILY TREE JPG ON WIKIPEDIA FOR SERIES 3 (or, I guess, any of the other series).

Spoilering cunts.
                          Oh Jesus Christ, that is unforgiveable of them.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Don't want to pop up too often on here and naysay but if the programme's like Greek tragedy, why does it matter if you have the plot spoiled? Isn't there a kind of inexorable logic to it?

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Oh here we go.

In some respects it's different from Greek tragedy, Tubbs. There's no chorus, for example, and no-one's called Agamemnon.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

More to the point, there's no hero. Instead, there are a multiplicity of characters, on either side of the law, whose individual trajectories are unpredictable and unknown in advance to the viewer, unless that viewer's as unlucky as SR was.

I think the Greekness people talk about comes from the fact that the evil is in the end inescapable, whether people act for good or ill.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

In some respects The Wire is a bit like Greek tragedy, in some respects it's like a rigorously researched Fredrick Wiseman film. The two aren't incompatible.

The logic, if the is one, certainly isn't a moral logic, you know? It's not a moralising show.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

There we went.

So it means the evil's inescapable, not the exact way it's worked out.

I don't think I've read a book for quite some time without knowing the ending.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Does Greek tragedy moralise all the time? Oedipus hasn't done much morally wrong, at least wittingly. It just seems the gods have it in for him and Thebes- or Baltimore.

So the Greek comparison works well in that respect. I'm only being half facetious here. The creator, as I understand it, mentioned Greek.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

I know we're not meant to post adverts and that but www.bangcd.com has the first four series at a tenner each.

So, thanks, Mr and Mrs On Earth, but we're just going to splurge and then have them to keep for ever and ever and ever.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Okey-doke.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

In some respects it's different from Greek tragedy, Tubbs. There's no chorus, for example, and no-one's called Agamemnon.
                                            Though a character called Agamemnon would surely raise few eyebrows in a series already featuring such monikers as Poot, D'Angelo and Wee-Bey.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

The name could've been mentioned however, by a Greek myth-loving rip n runner.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

Does Greek tragedy moralise all the time? Oedipus hasn't done much morally wrong, at least wittingly. It just seems the gods have it in for him and Thebes- or Baltimore.
                                                He has done, it's just that the Greeks have a very different conception of morality from ours.

Comment

The Wire Series 1

If we're doing Wire/football likey-lookies I'm sure Dominic West & Michael Ballack must have been mentioned here before.
                                                  thats a pretty lame call bro.

now Avon and Danny Gabbidon, thats it right there. although most west ham fans have forgotten what gabbidon looks like

Comment

The Wire Series 1

We've done Ashley Young and Florent Malouda, right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X