No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(and I disagree with you, I think the film is far too kind on Parker. he;s by no means a nice character in the film, manipulative and self-interested, but by putting it in his voice, and including his justifications, (and possibly by using Hanks) it is far too kind on him)

(I'll put this in the right thread)_

Comment

Just discovered all 5 seasons of Search Party are now on iPlayer - only the first two were ever available in the UK before. So that's watching sorted out for a bit.

Comment

Started watching The Bear on Disney + which i'm enjoying a lot

Comment

Four episodes into Wednesday. Nothing earth shattering but great fun twist on the high school teen genre.

Comment

I really liked Extraordinary. About a world where almost everyone has a superpower except for the main protagonist of the story, a young Irish woman.

It’s set in London and I don’t recognize anyone in the show. It’s on Hulu here and Disney+ in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              Four episodes into Wednesday. Nothing earth shattering but great fun twist on the high school teen genre.
              Filmed in Romania. And the lead actress has got shit from the usual suspects for suggesting that Palestinians are human beings. For these reasons alone I'll get round to watching it, even though it's not really my thing

Comment

Just to confirm, Copenhagen Cowboy is still beautiful and weird.

I messed up with one of my murder things, and watched "Baptiste" before watching "The Missing". An accident, annoying but there you go. So I've been catching up with The Missing. The first season - wow, dark. Season two - I have no idea who is who or what timeline I'm in at any point.

Comment

Poker Face is pretty good. Especially if you miss Columbo and/or like Natasha Lyonne.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                    Poker Face is pretty good. Especially if you miss Columbo and/or like Natasha Lyonne.
                    I watched the first episode of that. It's ok, but not worth paying for Peacock to see.

Comment

We're enjoying the daft and charming Channel 4 comedy Everybody Else Burns, with Simon Bird and Lolly Adefapo, about a family who are members of a religious cult in Manchester, with parents trying to keep every type of minuscule temptation away from their parents. Lots of fun.

Comment

Last of Us episode 3 was rather brilliant.

Comment

It was excellent, a beautiful little diversion.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            Started watching The Bear on Disney + which i'm enjoying a lot
                            One of the few shows I wish were stretched out for 60 minutes to flesh out the characters and their relationships with others a bit more.

Comment

I'm planning to give Our Flag Means Death a whirl.

Anyone seen it and have thoughts they'd like to share?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                I'm planning to give Our Flag Means Death a whirl.

Anyone seen it and have thoughts they'd like to share?
                                A non-binary kid I sorta know was going on and on about how much they loved it, partly for the LGBTQ+ elements.
                                I suppose that is part of it, but I just couldn't get into it. It's the kind of thing that might work well as a film, but not an interminable series.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

A non-binary kid I sorta know was going on and on about how much they loved it, partly for the LGBTQ+ elements.
                                  I suppose that is part of it, but I just couldn't get into it. It's the kind of thing that might work well as a film, but not an interminable series.

Noted. I'll watch the first episode and see if it grabs me.

Comment

We enjoyed Sons of Anarchy, which wasn't *good* but fun. So we're now on to Mayans MC, which is very similar in most regards, but goes on location to Mexico a lot..and we enjoy that whole angle.

Comment

Watched All Quiet On The Western Front last night. The novel and the original film made a huge impression on me when I was a teenager and read/watched both as a supplement to studying Robert Graves's Goodbye To All That at A level. This version was way too long for me (I almost became as immune to the killing as the soldiers), and hugely lacking in terms of plot and at least some lively dialogue or character development. The German general seemed like a cartoon character (who can't actually act). "Movies move" is the first rule of script-writing. This one didn't move much more than the western front itself, and if that was the point then it didn't do the film any favours. The characters, such as they were, didn't go anywhere either. War is senseless and brutal - I know. But it also offers endless material for drama, which was passed over here, maybe out of a sense of too much duty to the original book.

Comment

I started watching the first episode of 11.22.63 last year but stopped after 40 minutes or so, for reasons I can't remember. Using my lunch break at home wisely today by watching the rest of the episode. Should really have read the book by now.

Comment

I watched it all recently. I sort of quite enjoyed it but it had a lot of massive flaws.

Comment

I'm kinda enjoying Lockewood & Co. It's one of those fantasy series based on young-adult books that compels you to buy into the "world" and understand it's rules, but it doesn't in a fairly non-clunky way.

This world is chock full of ghosts, known as "visitors" and the infestation of ghosts is known as "The Problem." In the UK, at least, there is a heavily-regulated industry of ghostbusters who belong to firms with names like law firms or Saville Row clothiers. But instead of nuclear traps, the ghosts are warded off with iron chains and swords (for reasons I missed). And some people are "ghost-locked" with a ghost in them. But only young people can see the ghosts, the actual dangerous jobs are done by teenagers and young adults.

The show is about three people about 20 years old who start their own firm.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                              I started watching the first episode of 11.22.63 last year but stopped after 40 minutes or so, for reasons I can't remember. Using my lunch break at home wisely today by watching the rest of the episode. Should really have read the book by now.
                                              The book is significantly better. Pretty lengthy so covers much more ground IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Noted. I'll watch the first episode and see if it grabs me.
                                                I watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it. But I've no need to watch any more. It's a bit one trick pony.
                                                I like all the actors in it, mind.

As the esteemed Mr Pepsi suggested, Lockwood and Co is quite good fun. Two of the three leads are a bit shonky acting-wise but it's entertaining enough and has a killer soundtrack. (The Cure, Bauhaus, This Mortal Coil so far)
                                                I believe it's a Joe "Adam and Joe" Cornish production (Attack the Block, Ant Man etc.)
                                                Last edited by hobbes; 01-02-2023, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Presumably you've all watched "Toast of London" then? Berry's finest hour.

Anyway. Having discovered that it has been brought back to iPlayer, and as we are utterly wretched at committing to new television series (it seems), we're re-watching Early Doors, which remains an absolute delight.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

I watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it. But I've no need to watch any more. It's a bit one trick pony.
                                                    I like all the actors in it, mind.

Yeah, I was about half-way through before I got distracted, but I'll go back and watch the rest.

Pirate applies C21st touchy-feely approach in his Ill-suited new venture. That's going to get stale pretty quickly, I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X