Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
    Watched The Good Nurse on Netflix last night. I hadn't realised Jessica Chastain was so short (there's a shot towards there's a shot towards the end where she's following a police officer down the corridor which is striking). I guess it highlights her character's fragility, physically and emotionally. She and Redmayne are excellent. It's all very domestic and yet unsettling. Given that it's based on a true story it's difficult to get too excited about who the bad nurse might be. The way the police officers struggled to be allowed to investigate the deaths is interesting and there could have been more of that I feel. But that could have made it more pf a police procedural I suppose. The hospital lawyer is particularly cartoonish - right down to the bulging Adam's apple in a scrawny neck. As with most films these days, could have been 30 minutes shorter. But the supporting cast give the two leads space to shine. Redmayne really does do nice but slightly unsettling well.
    Watched this last night. Very good. I’d never heard of the underlying story of Charles Cullen before.

Comment

Watched Graham Hancock’s Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix. His argument is that an ancient civilisation was mooching around just after the last ice-age (hunter-gather time), and were sailing all over the place and building temples/henges/etc. Apparently a massive disaster (series of asteroids) wiped them out. He’s totally shunned by mainstream archeologists. Like Ancient Aliens, I can take or leave the theory: I’m just here for the awesome endeavour. For example: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...f-20000-people

Comment

There was a piece on Slate this week by someone who was extremely vexed by that programme.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          There was a piece on Slate this week by someone who was extremely vexed by that programme.
          Graham Hancock has been spouting pseudo-history since the 90s.

Comment

He’s just modern Erich von Daniken, isn’t he?

Comment

Yeah, he wrote Fingerprints of the Gods, which was about alien influence and the pyramids. I think it was aliens. Or the ancient civilisation thing he pumping now. Either way, I totally bought it at the time. The book and then the theory. These shows are always super selective. Example: The Wedge of Aiud was supposed to show they were smelting ages before everyone thought. The show was dead plausible. I then looked it up. It’s probably a tooth from a digger.
              Last edited by Slightly Brown; 19-11-2022, 19:45.

Comment

Tip of the Week: Avoid Tulsa King like it has herpes. Sly Stallone can barely speak anymore, let alone move.

Comment

1899-premise is interesting. Set in the titular year and a ship sailing across the Atlantic to NY receives contact from a company sister ship that has been missing at sea for four months. Two episodes watched and the pace is not matching the premise. It an international production with sub-titles version better than the dubbed one-but in both the dialogue often stilted and cliched. Just about enough ideas to keep watching but not a binge watch by any means.

Comment

So, there is a Vimeo channel that has uploaded as much Jonathan Meades stuff as they can. I'm currently watching Abroad in Britain. I've never seen any of them before. The first two have been very good.

It's interesting to see the point A that the his later programs departed from. It's very much his still, just maybe not as much

Comment

A couple of films over the weekend on TV here:

The Lady in the Van (rewatched) - a really lovely film if you're OK with Alan Bennett and Maggie Smith. Mind you, I was extremely confronted by James Corden's brief appearance as the "cheeky" market stall holder. Put me off my snacks that did.

Penguin Bloom - a simple, lowish budget Aussie film starring Naomi Watts and Andrew "Walking Dead" Lincoln. Based on the true story of a woman who is made paraplegic in an accident and finds some new meaning in life through raising a rescued (Australian) Magpie. Sounds a bit twee but very well done, and the magpie(s) is/are great. Look out for Jackie Weaver who is excellent as Watts' character's mum.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

It's difficult viewing when there are just so many unpleasant people, though having said that, Succession continues to be watchable. I'm glad The White Lotus is a limited series in a way. Not sure I could manage watching 10 episodes of these people.

I wish Jennifer Coolidge's character hadn't returned for this series.
                        Halfway through season 1 of Succession. Theres a lot to like which hope can sustain-not least how unlikeable a family they are.

Comment

1899 is good, but watch the original with subtitles (unless you're fluent in multiple languages including German, Portuguese and Cantonese and possibly Dutch).

Comment

I couldn't find any mention of Belascoarán by searching - anyone watchedit?

Comment

Hmm, I hadn't realized that was even a thing. Love the books, and the lead actor was very good in The Resort.

Will definitely report back.

Comment

I can’t follow the plot of The English. Might give up.

Comment

I watched the first episode of 1899. It's not going to be a zombie thing is it? I fucking hate zombie things

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    I can’t follow the plot of The English. Might give up.
                                    Stick with it if you can. The last episode is very powerful.

We watched the series in three pairs of episodes and 3/4 didn't have the same momentum as 1/2 but it recovers again for the final two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Look out for Jackie Weaver who is excellent as Watts' character's mum.

Really? "You have no authority here" Jackie Weaver? She really has grasped her unexpected fame and run with it.

I watched The Shining for the first time at the weekend. I've seen bits before but never the whole thing. Reading the (long) Wiki article about the film afterwards, as I tend to to do, was fascinating - Stanley Kubrick's treatment of Shelly Duvall, Stephen King's opinion of the film, the Apollo moon-landing conspiracy theory and much, much more.

Just watched David Baddiel: Jews Don't Count, which had been recommended to me by a Jewish friend who thought that it might explain what it felt like to be a Jew in Britain today. It didn't particularly, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Thanksgiving classic.

Comment

hard to choose just one, but for my young 20-something self, probably my favorite...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Really? "You have no authority here" Jackie Weaver? She really has grasped her unexpected fame and run with it.
                                            Ha, actually you've drawn my attention to an error. The veteran Aussie actor is Jacki Weaver, who as far as I know doesn't spend her spare time on parish business.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              I watched the first episode of 1899. It's not going to be a zombie thing is it? I fucking hate zombie things
                                              No zombies. Possible spoilery statement below.

Fuck it, the spoiler thing doesn't work.
                                              Last edited by Femme Folle; 22-11-2022, 06:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Halfway through season 1 of Succession. Theres a lot to like which hope can sustain-not least how unlikeable a family they are.
                                                Without knowing specifically which episode you're on, I'd say that it does more than sustain, it takes off about halfway through season 1. When I nagged my daughter to watch it I advised her not to be put off by the first few episodes, which make it look like a drama about share prices.

Comment

That film is pretty much my most common anxiety dream made real.

Comment

I'll be watching it tonight, as I do on this day every year. Steve Martin is currently in his meeting in NYC with Ferris Bueller's dad, thinking he'll make the 6pm flight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X