No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venus and Serena are so invested in the film that they were doing joint interviews for UK radio, which is virtually unheard of

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I vastly prefer rooting for laundry based on geography. The suspension of disbelief just makes more sense to me.
      Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Thompson was really good, but I'd only give it 6.5 out of 10
        You think? I usually like Emma Thompson but she just didn't convince as a US late night talk show host.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          Yeah.
          That might also explain why it’s framed the way it is. They care more about the image of their parents than their own. I suppose that’s understandable. But it doesn’t make for a great film.

It goes to the heart of why I don’t really like tennis. I can’t into a sport where I’m expected to root for individuals and pretend they’re my friends or that I relate to them as people. And “rooting for greatness” or “icons” is downright Nietschean, in a bad way.

I vastly prefer rooting for laundry based on geography. The suspension of disbelief just makes more sense to me.
          Quite apart from the strange idea that watching tennis means pretending the players are your friends, do you not watch any sports where the participants are individuals rather than teams?

After all, tennis players and golfers (for instance) are still representing their countries when they compete at tournaments - which is why Murray's (and latterly Raducanu's) success was such a big deal in the UK. This is even more the case in the Davis or Ryder Cups and now that the sports are in the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Quite apart from the strange idea that watching tennis means pretending the players are your friends, do you not watch any sports where the participants are individuals rather than teams?

After all, tennis players and golfers (for instance) are still representing their countries when they compete at tournaments - which is why Murray's (and latterly Raducanu's) success was such a big deal in the UK. This is even more the case in the Davis or Ryder Cups and now that the sports are in the Olympics.
            I don’t watch any individual sports on a regular basis. I like some Olympic sports like speedskating, skiing and snowboarding, but I find it hard to care much about who wins unless there’s a *local* connection. I’ll sort of support the US team by default, but I don’t really care.

Maybe only very ill people imagine that stars are literally their friends, but lots of fans refer to their favorite athletes by their first name and are emotionally interest in their personal lives.

I grew out of that by around 12.

Comment

So, bucking the bad reviews and following Tratorello's lead, we watched Red Notice. I can think of about 200 movies I've enjoyed less. This was a romp and a pretty good one at that. Poorly named and poorly acted by Gadot and Johnson, it's still a lot of fun. Totally a Sunday matinee throwback film in the Indiana Jones mold, and it rarely gets too slow or dull. Why there are any Serious Reviews of it is beyond me.

Comment

Two words for you. Cowboy Bebop.

Live action remake of an old Manga cartoon of the same name. John Cho kills it as the main character. I didn't see the cartoon (although it's now on netflix) but from what I've read, it's a pretty faithful translation.
                Also watched the first 3 eps of Wheel of Time. May or may not continue. It's mildly diverting but too dour. It's no worse that Game of Thrones so I might make it to season 2.
                Season 1 of Foundation just finished. Very enjoyable despite not having read the source material.

Oh and we have been enjoying Question Team on Dave which is a quiz thing hosted by Richard Ayoade where the contestants do a round each. Ayoade is always a good watch and so far most of the contestant rounds have been the right side of silly.
                Also watched all of Outsiders (comedians go camping and compete for badges) which was worth it to see who snapped and went on a killing rampage first between Jamali Maddix and Ed Gamble.

Both Question Team and Outsiders seem to be an attempt to replace Taskmaster which is a brilliant as ever on Channel 4.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                  Taskmaster which is a brilliant as ever on Channel 4.
                  Absolutely this. Was going to make a comment after the series finale this week about how funny Series 12 has been. I'm not a fan of Alan Davies and had no idea how Victoria Coren-Mitchell would adapt (especially with her deeply unfunny monologues on Only Connect), but both have been brilliant alongside all of the other contestants. With the exception of series 7 which I just couldn't get on with as I just didn't find any of the cast funny or have any empathy with, to produce a 12th series of something and to keep on improving in the way that it has in nothing short of astonishing.

Comment

Just finished a rewatch of Season 4 of the Wire. Still gut-punching. And that last episode is just a masterclass in acting from all involved.

15 fucking years ago! Shit!

Comment

Mrs Thistle and I completed the run of Castle last week. The final scene of the final episode is really weird. Felt like an add on when they realised there wasn't going to be a new series so the cliffhanger they had filmed wasn't going to work.

We are now working through Futurama at lunchtimes. Some of it hasn't aged well. We are watching the final season of Atypical as our evening viewing. It's still a worthwhile watch although it's lost some of the edge that it originally had in the early series.

We also watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on Disney Plus last week. It was OK. Marvel are trying hard to bring all their characters into one universe, but how many hidden worlds and "true myths" can there be?

Comment

We’ve just started re-watching Spooks from the beginning. We have agreed that laughing at dialogue and cliches is permitted. One episode an evening for light relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                          Just finished ‘Showtrial’ on BBC iplayer and really enjoyed. Céline Buckens and Tracy Ifeachor were excellent in it.
                          Another vote for Showtrial here.
                          Having semi binged both Showtrial and The Outlaws almost simultaneously both myself and MrsRino both think the entrance to the Outlaws heiress girls house is also used in Showtrial. Both shot in Bristol.

Comment

We are now working through Futurama at lunchtimes. Some of it hasn't aged well.
                            What would you say hasn't aged well?

Comment

Surely you won't know whether it's aged badly for another 1000 years yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

What would you say hasn't aged well?
                                The episode where Bender becomes a wrestler and gets marketed as "the gender bender" would be an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The episode where Bender becomes a wrestler and gets marketed as "the gender bender" would be an example.
                                  Channel 4 recently showed the Simpsons ep where Smithers helps turn Moe's into a gay bar. Apart from being quite new (as in after the fucking movie) and therefore shit, there was a fair amount of dodgy trans jokes in it.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-11-2021, 22:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Channel 4 recently showed the Simpsons ep where Smithers helps turn Moe's into a gay bar. Apart from being quite new (as in after the fucking movie) and therefore shit, there was a fair amount of dodgy trans jokes in it.
                                    It shows how the Simpsons has gone downhill, because the one with John Waters is generally well thought of.

Comment

The past is a foreign country....

Comment

Just watched the first episode of Hawkeye, the new Marvel show on Disney Plus. Bit of a slow burn opening episode but the trip to the theatre for Rogers: The Musical was the kind of dark humour at the expense of a sacred cow that I enjoy.

Comment

Tick Tick Boom.
                                          A musical about a guy - specifically, the late Jon Larson - writing a musical, intercut with live performances of the songs for the musical.

I’m surprised how much I like it.

Comment

ready to write off Ted Lasso season 2, but episode 9, Beard after hours, is truly trippy and keeps me optimistic.

Comment

I’m enjoying Cowboy Bebop. I saw the anime movie, but it was a while ago and I haven’t seen the series so I don’t care if it’s “faithful.”

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Just watched the first episode of Hawkeye, the new Marvel show on Disney Plus. Bit of a slow burn opening episode but the trip to the theatre for Rogers: The Musical was the kind of dark humour at the expense of a sacred cow that I enjoy.
                                                As a fan of Hawkeye from my early teens reading West Coast Avengers and Solo Avengers (mindblowingly stupid Phantom Rider/Mockingbird reaction by Barton aside), I am loving this.

The fact that it's drawing heavily on the Fraction/Aja run both in aesthetic and sentiment just makes it better, the Tracksuit Mafia were always hilarious and Barton being constantly overlooked as to what a badass he is fits right in.

Got my nerd points in early spotting The Swordsman two seconds after he appeared, but for a long term Marvel fan it's not too hard. I wonder if they will explore the original circus link.

Episode 2 LARP scene was brilliant.

Comment

I've now watched Episode 2 as well. Had some good humour in it and, like Eggchaser, also enjoyed the LARPers. Found it a bit unlikely that a fireman would take something from a fire scene though.

Are we meant to recognise the guy in the robbery gang who lifted up his face mask to watch Kate run away in Episode 1?

Comment

We enjoyed it, but it is very silly.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X