No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was fine, but drawn out too long as most things are. See 'American Rust' and any of the American Horror Story series.

Comment

The problem wasn't that it was too long, just that the "tell the next part of the story through the actions of another character" device meant that what could have been the really interesting parts of the story got sidelined (eg the emotional rollercoaster of Sophie)

Comment

Also the writers insistence on introducing new twists meant that the story became more and more implausible with the final outcome being utterly preposterous. It was entertaining enough but it was daft entertainment rather than compelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
          That was the highpoint.
          I know we watched it, and not that long ago, but apparently it's utterly erased from my memory.

Comment

Yeah, someone here mentioned Clickbait about two weeks after we watched it, and I had to ask L what it had been about. It just...went out of my head.

Comment

It's like these Welsh / English / Scottish / Nordic 6-part small-village crime shows. They've all just blurred together now.

Comment

In good news, Rutherford Falls. We just finished S1 (10 episodes) and it's very cute / funny. Created and starring Ed Helms (American The Office), it has a strong First Nations cast, including a show runner, a funny premise, good lines, and is worth a watch. S2 has been ordered.

Comment

Where are you watching it? It's on something called Peacock, I've no clue what that is.

Comment

Peacock is NBC's premium streaming service. They have moved a good deal of their Premier League coverage there.

Comment

But not available in the Great White North AFAIK.

Comment

Mebbe WOM brought a cable box back from Florida

Comment

I found this info:
                          "As of June 2020, Corus Entertainment announced their deals and agreement with NBC Universal's regarding the airing of Peacock TV Original programming in Canada. You can now stream numerous Peacock Original shows on the network in Canada."

I don't know what Corus is. But perhaps you get it.

Comment

We PVR'd it off Showcase, but it's on the Global TV App and StackTV.

Comment

Corus is a massive conglomerate of radio, TV, production, etc. Big-ass office on Toronto waterfront called Corus Quay.

(the lobby has a multi-story slide that is so fast and steep that people were getting hurt left, right and centre)

Comment

I thought Canada only had two media companies, Rogers and Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                  We PVR'd it off Showcase, but it's on the Global TV App and StackTV.
                                  Cheers. I'll see if I can find it on Showcase.

Comment

Today's Foundation was quite a ride

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Cheers. I'll see if I can find it on Showcase.
                                      If you subscribe to any of the larger tv/cable/satellite providers, you can sign in to Global TV App for free and watch it there on demand. Shaw, Rogers, Cogeco, Bell....almost all of them.

Comment

That reminds me. I'm kinda disappointed that the ESPN+ hockey package doesn't provide the regional/local ads. It just a bunch of "slides" saying the game is in commercial and here are some pictures of ESPN chat shows.

Since they game is paused anyway, I'd prefer to see ads for The Keg and Swiss Chalet or learning how I can save big money at Menards or score a hatrick of savings on a new Ford at some place off some interstate in some suburb I will never visit.

Comment

I don't fully understand how ESPN+ works when compared to the old NHL.TV, which is no longer available.

My sense is that I don't have access to as many games as I used to, but I'm not sure.

I do know that I can no longer watch the Habs in French, which pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            That reminds me. I'm kinda disappointed that the ESPN+ hockey package doesn't provide the regional/local ads. It just a bunch of "slides" saying the game is in commercial and here are some pictures of ESPN chat shows.

Since they game is paused anyway, I'd prefer to see ads for The Keg and Swiss Chalet or learning how I can save big money at Menards or score a hatrick of savings on a new Ford at some place off some interstate in some suburb I will never visit.
                                            I remember Lakers fans from all over the country wanting to go to Chosun Galbee (KBBQ place in LA's Koreatown that seemed to have a commercial on during every ad break of Laker games) as much as going to a Laker game if they visited LA.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              I don't fully understand how ESPN+ works when compared to the old NHL.TV, which is no longer available.

My sense is that I don't have access to as many games as I used to, but I'm not sure.

I do know that I can no longer watch the Habs in French, which pisses me off.
                                              ESPN+ is a streaming service. For like $6 a month you get most NHL games (it seems like it’s almost all of them but a few aren’t there for reasons I can’t always figure out) and most of MLS and a bunch of college hockey and soccer and loads of other stuff like the CFL.

It’s *much* cheaper than NHL.tv. NHL.TV never had many subscribers so this is much better exposure. People are bitching that it doesn’t have quite as many functions and is slightly harder to navigate because it has so much stuff, but it’s a much better deal and much more accessible to more people.

Games on NHLN are still hard to see if you don’t have a cable company that carries it. Many don’t. Most of the over the top streaming cable emulators don’t have it either. They should just fold it into ESPN+, IMO. Most of the non-game content is on YouTube, however.

Also, there are games on TNT, TBS and regular ESPN. It appears that the games on regular ESPN are also available to ESPN+ subscribers who don’t have cable. That is unusual. Usually, stuff on the regular channel, like MNF, requires a cable subscription.

You will be blocked from games that are available through regional cable networks in your area, which might be three teams in your area. But that was true with NHLTV or with Center Ice too.

Lots of people online complaining they have to “pay extra” and still can’t see their local games. But that’s the same as it ever was. The RSNs pay a lot for an exclusive deal with the cable companies and are using regulatory capture to protect that. That’s not Disney’s fault.

I don’t have cable. I’m using Hulu’s live TV option to get BTN and the NHL games on TNT/TBS and Penn State content on ESPN or Fox.

Unfortunately, the blackout algorithm thinks I am in Penguins territory. But because Bally Pittsburgh (formerly ATT Sportnet, formerly Root Sports, formerly Prime) refuses to deal with Hulu or any of the over the top live TV options, I can’t see that channel. Hulu does give me the Philadelphia regional sports channel, owned by Comcast, but I can already get the Flyers on ESPN+.

One can circumvent that with a VPN. I haven’t figured out how to put one of those on my TV. But I can on my phone if I want to watch the Pens. But national Pens games like that Tuesday game were on ESPN+ or the regular ESPN on cable or Hulu Live.

Center Ice is still available through some cable companies, I’m told. The French version might be on there. I’m not sure.

ESPN+ offers both teams local broadcast as a choice, but I don’t think that’s always really available. I could only get Detroit’s version of the game last night. It’s possible there was no Tampa version for some reason. I couldn’t find any Tampa-centric version of the highlights either.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-10-2021, 01:23.

Comment

Yes.

It is saving me money, especially as I already had ESPN+ for other reasons, and I likely would not pay full freight to NHL.TV for what I can no longer get, but it still bugs me that I don't even have the option.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                  Today's Foundation was quite a ride
                                                  I intend to watch that, but I'm like a dog seeing squirrels every time I open my streaming services menu on the TV. I will remedy that this weekend.

Comment

Disney is paying a lot of money to the teams to ensure you don’t have another option.

It does seem like the various could squeeze more money out of the hardcore fans by giving them a more expansive and customizable premium option, but they don’t want to put the cable providers and RSNs out of business.

I’m much happier with this situation except for the regional blackout thing.

So far, the new broadcasts have been better than NBC’s except there’s no Mike Emrich, if course

Comment

Working...
                                                    X