No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's as good as they come, almost certainly Sidney Pollack's best flick. Yeah, it's exhausting. Michael Sarrazin is a bit of damp squib, but the rest of the cast is excellent. I miss Gig Young. He had the ability to make your skin crawl while being utterly pathetic. A rare talent

Comment

Just finished s3 of Manifest. Starts off in the usual way where returnees are helping the police - then goes off into a completely bizarre Christian Revelations Apocalypse direction. Not what I expected at all. Looking forward to s4 on Netflix.

Comment

Brassic is back for a third series. Probably the funniest thing on any network at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

I gave it 10 minutes. FIVE fucking parts... !!!!

I'll be honest and say that I've watched the first three episodes now and I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Just finished Time on BBC First with Sean Bean, Stephen Graham and a strong support. Excellent if harrowing jail drama where Bean is a schoolteacher locked up for killing a cyclist while driving drunk. That’s not a spoiler; we are told this up front. Really great performances and atmosphere although Bean’s “parents” are played by David Calder (13 years older) amd Sue Johnston (16 years older). Recommended but not light.

We are also enjoying the very silly but fun Ghosts, a British series about a group of completely inept ghosts in an old house. Simple, obvious humour but usually provides a couple of belly laughs.

Comment

After struggling to find anything to watch as my partner and I recover from the dreaded 'rona, we decided to give Schmiggadon (on Apple TV) a go, despite neither of us really fancying it, and I have to say it was the perfect feel good pick me up and we binged all 6 episodes in two nights.

Neither of us are big fans of musicals but once you'd suspended your belief to get over the unusual premise it was a lot of fun and had quite a lot of genuine belly laughs.

Comment

You* were wrong about series 3 of The Fall. It was good. The final episode felt a bit like they ran out of ideas and rushed to the end, but the rest of the series was good. And S3 E1 was a brilliant hour of TV.

(* those of you who implied it was a bit rubbish)

Comment

I'm about halfway through Midnight Mass. There's a lot of talking and going to church so far and just a little bit of scary. I'll wait until I've finished to say if I thought it was better than Hill House.

I read that Flanagan is working on another series called The Fall of the House of Usher, based on several Poe tales. I hope he makes it worth watching, because that sounds pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    I'm about halfway through Midnight Mass. There's a lot of talking and going to church so far and just a little bit of scary. I'll wait until I've finished to say if I thought it was better than Hill House.
                    Just checked and that’s on Aussie Netflix so one for the list. Preferred Hill House to Bly Manor FF, how about you?

Comment

Sits Haven't watched Bly Manor, but I enjoyed Hill House.

Comment

Bailed on Squid Games (Netflix) about half way through. The acting was bad, the main characters stereotypical cyphers, and the “action” gorily violent. A shame really, as the potential commentary on debt and the miserable desperation it can lead to could have been better explored. Maybe if you loved the increasingly preposterous Saw movie series you’ll enjoy this, but not for me.

Comment

I'm 4 episodes down and enjoying it, but not to the extent in which it is being so widely praised.

I am watching it with English dubbing though rather than the subtitles and I wonder if that's making it lose something

Comment

I'm watching it with the dubbing (TWWSPUWM is often resistant to subtitling as she is always multitasking and therefore isn't always focused on the screen) and the voice-acting is horrible. I don't think the show has the massive fall off a cliff at episode 4 that some others have suggested.

Comment

I'm with Amor on Netflix's quality these days. We still have it because I introduced my parents to it when we visited in 2017 and my dad (and then my uncle, who we shared it with shortly after) promptly said he'd just transfer me a load of money each year to pay for the account for the whole family, but whenever we watch something – especially something a bit mysterious and European – there's always a voice at the back of my head going 'It's OK, but it's no Les Revenants, is it?' Also sometimes the subtitling is infuriating. No quality control whatsoever. We quite liked Capitani but not being fluent in Luxembourgish we had to switch the English dubbing on because the absolute clown who'd subtitled it simply hadn't bothered to do literally about every other line. Particularly egregious when the English subtitler half-arses it like this, because a lot of the time the subtitlers for other languages go off the English rather than the original*.

Anyway, partly as a result of comments upthread we ploughed through Only Murders In The Building on Star+ last week ... and a few hours after thinking we'd finished it (and agreeing it was quite a cliffhanger to set up a second series with) we found there's a new episode each week and the first series still has two more to come! Well, one more now, since one was released today, which we'll be watching in a bit. It is great fun.

*Source: my girlfriend used to do subtitles, and one or two of her friends do semi-regular subtitling for Netflix.

Comment

On FF’s recommendation we’ve started Midnight Mass on Netflix. Only on Ep. 2 but the atmosphere is nicely building.

Amor de Cosmos while it’s set on an island off the US coast it’s filmed on your doorstep* in Garry Point Park.

*I think.

Comment

Yeah, just four or five miles away as the seagull flies. But probably about forty-five minutes drive.

Comment

Has the Leonard Cohen / Marianne Ihlen documentary by Nic Broomfield been mentioned on this thread /forum before? Watched it this evening. It was powerful. Could have used more music, and it had a darkness (appropriately I guess) but overall I'd definitely recommend it. The 60s, man. Somehow everyone seemed to make it through but their children...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      Somehow everyone seemed to make it through but their children...
                                      ?

Comment

Seemed like all the kids born to the people living in one long open marriage in Hydra either ended up dead or in an asylum

Comment

Hmmm. Well Cohen's son produced his dad's final album, though whether he was born on Hydra I'd have to check.

Comment

No, he won't have been.

Comment

Anyway, I take it you haven't seen it. Before you dump Netflix you should

Comment

I will surely do that.

Comment

Started Clickbait which had a decent Ep. 1.

Comment

That was the highpoint.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X