No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and it did that really massively fucking annoying thing that a lot of shows do nowadays whereby significant plot moments happen through text messages or chat but you have to be in possession of a fucking massive TV screen to actually read them. Wankers

Comment

2nd season of INTO THE NIGHT not nearly as good as the first. As it is only six episodes I'll stomach the remaining 3 episodes and hope they finish it off.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Oh and it did that really massively fucking annoying thing that a lot of shows do nowadays whereby significant plot moments happen through text messages or chat but you have to be in possession of a fucking massive TV screen to actually read them. Wankers
        Thank you. I haven’t watched this series yet but you’re right it’s a device used all too often. I don’t want to piss off Mrs. S (who has much better eyesight) so I don’t keep asking “what did it say?” Instead I guess, return attention to the iPad and hope I get the gist.

Meanwhile, we are now completely consumed by The Great British Sewing Bee even though neither of us sews. Up to S3 and the absolute key (as discussed on that other thread) is that everyone is nice to each other. Teensy bit of a Claudia Winkelman crush doesn’t hurt either.

Comment

I never read the books, but Foundation is of to a good start.

Comment

Been catching up with a few series on Netflix - rapidly losing interest in Money Heist as the storyline becomes increasingly far-fetched and almost like a computer game, but the final part is released in December, so might as well see the dénouement play out. Lupin isn't quite as trying, but it becomes clear by the end of episode 10 that all the main plot points seem to be resolved, so the basis for a second series isn't entirely clear.

Comment

The number of series on Netflix and Prime that haven't rapidly run out of steam after a couple of seasons can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

Spoke a bit too soon. Season 3 of both Final Space and Sex Education dropped last week, as did Korea's answer to The 100, The Squid Game. Enjoying the latter so far, though I'm not sure it's actually good.
                Just tried episode 1 of Squid Game now - must have been like how audiences reacted to The Prisoner back in the Sixties, in terms of simply processing the surrealism throughout.

Comment

In The Heights is overlong, repetitive, chaotic and seriously corny. However if it doesn't leave you with an ear-to-ear smile you must be lying in coffin. Owes quite a bit to West Side Story and more to every Latinx pop video from the past 20 years, but so what? No stars but quite a few recognisable faces, including Anthony Ramos (In Treatment), Dascha Polanco and Daphne Rubin-Vega (Orange Is The New Black). We'll watch this again, when we see the grand-kids.

Comment

I saw in the heights at the cinema but then I'm a big fan of musicals. I think you can see the first ten minutes on YouTube. Watch that and, you don't like it, then it won't be for you but if you do, you should definitely check out the rest of the film.

Comment

I watched the first 20 minutes of that and gave up. I’m not a musical person, I guess.

Comment

After something of a hiatus (when my free Apple + ran out) I went back to Ted Lasso over the last week. I'd stalled around episode 5, but since then I've banged through to episode 5 of S2.
                        It's really silly and the geography is all wrong etc. But it's very charming and sweet and genuinely funny in lots of places. (Mainly Roy, Keely and Sam.)
                        And having just watched the xmas episode, it managed to just about stay the right side of cloying.
                        Otherwise I watched the first two of Foundation, Taskmaster is back with a non-sweary bang and I'm rather enjoying Greg Davies' latest "The Cleaner." The first two have been rather Stoppardian two-handers with some good belly laughs along the way.
                        Last edited by hobbes; 27-09-2021, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I never read the books, but Foundation is of to a good start.
                          If nothing else it looks absolutely spectacular. Kept me engaged for the first couple of episodes, definitely.

Comment

I haven't seen it yet but, according to Alex Horne's Twitter, the airing of the bleeped version of Taskmaster on network C4 last week was a mistake. That version is only meant for the catch up service.

Apparently it received the most complaints ever for lack of swearing in a show.

Comment

Glad I didn't watch it. Horrible thing, bleeping.

Comment

I caught the last few minutes of The Last Mountain, a documentary about the life and death of the young British mountaineer Tom Ballad. It was enormously affecting and moved me greatly, though I'm not exactly sure why. His father's and sister's stoical sadness is probably part of it; the nature and location of the end of such an astonishing life another.

There's a scene where Tom's father has taken him and his sister, when both were very young, to the Karakorams to see where their mother, the equally famous mountaineer Alison Hargreaves, had just died and they see a small cloud on the horizon which the dad points out and says that it might be mummy watching over them. Fair brought a lump to my throat.

Comment

Korea's answer to The 100, The Squid Game. Enjoying the latter so far, though I'm not sure it's actually good.
                                  Having now finished the season, my conclusion is that it's not. The mystery resolves in about the least interesting way possible, it doesn't really have much to say, only a couple of episodes were particularly engrossing on a standalone basis, and there's at least one that's actively bad.

Am now watching the not entirely dissimilar Alice in Borderland, which I missed when it first came out. Hopefully it holds up better as the season progresses.

Comment

Someone just turned us on to AP Bio on Netflix. 22-minute networks-style sitcom (NBC), but very quirky. Loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      I haven't seen it yet but, according to Alex Horne's Twitter, the airing of the bleeped version of Taskmaster on network C4 last week was a mistake. That version is only meant for the catch up service.

Apparently it received the most complaints ever for lack of swearing in a show.
                                      Ah, was wondering why the swearing was bleeped out. Doesn't particularly bother me; just thought it strange because they usually don't.

I do enjoy Taskmaster and happy to have a new series to watch. Good fun.

Comment

Morning Show is terrible in an extremely entertaining way.

Comment

I’m still only on S1 but agree. It’s a bad Sorkin knock off and incredibly trite but somehow still entertaining

Comment

It’s ridiculous but Crudup is crushing it.

Comment

You can see every penny of the millions that they've thrown at Foundation on the screen. Considering that there is a lot of setup going on, I quite enjoyed the opening episode. As the books are not suitable for filming, rather than go for a straight adaptation they've headed down the road of capturing the epicness of the overarching story. With some success, I think.

Comment

I think it will get better as it goes along because it will require less plot exposition and can develop the characters. Most sci-fi series are like that.

Comment

With Hector of Ireland's TG4 kept in the country due to Covid, he has been forced to rein in his usual, rather trying, "wackiness", that can at times come across as condescension when exploring the unusual aspects of foreign cultures if left unchecked. As a result, his new series, Éire Nua, is all the better for leaving new immigrants to Ireland tell their own stories, with minimal input from the ginger one. Moreover, between a Russian in South Kerry who works as an Irish language officer, an Irish-Nigerian who hosts a programme on Dublin's local Irish-language radio station, and a Latvian family in Drogheda who are trilingual, it embarrasses the viewer as to how rarely they use the language themselves.

Comment

I thought I'd go retro last night so I watched The Big Heat. A classic film noir but I can't say that I was all that impressed. I didn't think that there were any standout performances, the plot was incredibly basic and there was a distinct lack of charisma and sharp dialogue.

Wasn't the film most notable at the time for the sadism of the Lee Marvin character?

I was surprised to discover that a strikingly attractive female character was Marlon Brando's sister. And that she was bumped off so early in the film.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X