No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shameless, anyone? Seems like the sort of thing Ginger Yellow would dig. We're just starting S2, but I like pretty much everything about it.

Comment

Most people will have seen the UK version from several years back. Like The Office comparisons are inevitable and, rightly or not, the US version usually suffers.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        No Sudden Move makes up for my disappointment with Wrath of Man (above). Possibly because Steven Soderbergh is a proper director who's totally immersed in his process (he's the cinematographer and editor as well as the director of this film.) It's a caper movie but not a conventional one. There are good guys, bad guys and cops, but the gist of the film — money makes money, and everyone else just survives, if they're lucky — is simple enough, but handled with with a pace and complexity that makes the story irresistible. Great cast: Don Cheadle, Benicio Del Toro, Matt Damon, Ray Liotta and others. The camerawork is unusual, even eccentric. Soderbergh used old wide angle lenses that distort the image at their edges. Some viewers find this distracting but I thought the technique worked really well, especially with interiors which had a claustrophobia that added to the overall tension. Thoroughly recommended.
        I agree. I don't think I really understood the plot. I may watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
          I watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on Saturday night - really enjoyed it. The bit with Bruce Lee was fantastic.
          Watched it last night, also really enjoyed it overall but 1) Christ it's long (though to be fair I started watching it thinking I'll split it over two nights and ended up watching it all in one go) and 2) the violence went way over the top at times (won't say any more than that, to avoid spoilers).
          ​​​​

Comment

Hugely disappointed by Wrath of Man. You'd have thought if anyone knew how to handle the Stath it would be Guy Ritchie, but this offering is just plain tedious. There are two ways a director can go to minimise Jason Statham's limitations. One is conventional — fast, violent with heavy hints of irony. On the other, riskier, road you can take a chance on his latent acting abilities cf: The Bank Job and Spy. Ritchie does neither. Heist movies require tension, tight plotting, well drawn characters and, ideally, a surprise at the end. Wrath of Man has none of these. The story dribbles along by the teaspoonful, there are way too many characters leaving no time for any of them to establish themselves, and the finale is a totally predictable damp squib. Avoid at all costs.
            Shame. A friend of mine is in that.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              Shameless, anyone? Seems like the sort of thing Ginger Yellow would dig. We're just starting S2, but I like pretty much everything about it.
              I couldn't get into the UK version, for some reason, so never bothered with the US one.

Comment

There's a Arrested Development vibe that I thought might have appealed to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Watched it last night, also really enjoyed it overall but 1) Christ it's long (though to be fair I started watching it thinking I'll split it over two nights and ended up watching it all in one go) and 2) the violence went way over the top at times (won't say any more than that, to avoid spoilers).
                  ​​​​
                  I agree - the violence was somewhat ott, but I've learned to accept that as a Tarantino trope.

Whilst ironing on Monday evening, I finally started watching The Last Dance. I'm 6 episodes in now and have really enjoyed all of it so far.

Comment

The Uprising docu trilogy that started on BBC last night was really good - parts 2 and 3 tonight and tomorrow

Comment

Watched the first two episodes, powerful stuff. One of the things that Thatcher apologists say is " she was never racist" but the footage of her in the first episode puts a lie to that.

Comment

Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy gastro-travelogue series on CNN is very good. He's an excellent guide, funny, charming and informative and the visuals are gorgeous.

Comment

Another vote for Uprising here. Heartbreaking and damning by turns.

Also watched Hillsong: God Goes Viral in the Storyville strand last night, about an Australian charismatic church. The organisation heavily targets the young, with full on song and dance production services and a heavily tattooed, hipster aesthetic which suggests a solution to the enduring mystery of who buys all the terrible pre-distressed Diesel jeans in TK Maxx. Beneath the Brewdoggy trappings, the concerns were the usual ones; vulnerable recruits becoming overly beholden to the church, pastors living high on the hog at their congregations' expense, bad behaviour covered up and a reactionary creed underpinning the welcoming facade. There were some Spinal Tap-esque sequences, such as a trip for a river baptism in Israel, in which the limitations of the church's promotion of self actualisation messages over boring learning became apparent. At 1hr 40 mins, the film was a little too long.

Comment

Oh no Hillsong, one of Sydney’s curses.

Comment

I'm relieved that you say that, Sits, as I did wonder at times whether it was a very convincing spoof.

Comment

Convincing to enough people it would appear. Some of the gatherings and churches are huge.

Comment

Uprising

Amongst a long list of things to praise, it never tried to reach a conclusion on how the fire started and whether it started inside the house or from outside, What was laid bare though was the government's and police's agendas and prejudices (both of which clearly connect to Hillsborough, Greenfell, Stephen Lawrence, Maguire Seven, Birmingham Four and every other shoddy, grubby bit of victim blaming, arse covering and corruption over the last 40+ years)

Also sobering that most of those interviewed (and those that died) were around my age and were just children in 1981

Comment

Hats off to McQueen- all his Hollywood credentials mean he could probably have done anything he wanted these last couple of years and he did Small Axe and Uprising

Comment

Netlix is running a Polish series oddly named The Mire (I'm guessing it isn't close to the original title.) It's a clever little piece of drama that takes place in a small city in the 80s (series 1) and the the late 90s (series 2.) Police and newspaper crime stories are a common enough premise, but the plotting here is extremely subtle. Much, especially concerning the characters relationships, is inferred rather than spelled out as is often the case in close communities. The performances are first rate in suggesting these. The seasons are short, six episodes each, so don't require a huge commitment. For outsiders it also presents a pretty convincing view of what life was typically like in immediate post-Soviet Poland.
                                      Had this one in our queue for awhile - thanks for your review to finally get us to check it out.

We are three episodes in and it is definitely first-rate. Great performances and storyline so far. It looks and feels very much like 80s Poland.

Comment

I've started rewatching Cheers. Holds up pretty well.

Comment

Another thumbs-up for the Mire from me too. The first series was excellent stuff and series 2 is shaping up well.

Comment

Watched the second half of Lupin. It's silly and enjoyable. But I would have enjoyed it even more if they hadn't broken the series in two and left this 6 month gap in the middle.

Comment

Talking of silly and enjoyable we’re only now onto Why Women Kill which is fun.

On a more sober note we’re just into Series 2 of Rectify which is a whole different level and very well done.

Comment

Rectify was an engaging series. You have to be patient and if you are into series 2, keep going!

Comment

Thanks Cal. There was a point in S1 where the harrowing dial was going quite high. Well, a couple. But the characters are well drawn and acted; never seen any of the cast before.

Comment

Don't know whether to start a new thread, but the second series of Ted Lasso just started on Apple TV+

A slightly ropey opening 10 minutes (though I found it hilarious) but Roy Kent was brilliant throughout. His speech to his under 9's girl's team was great.

Roy: You listen to me! You play like that next week, you can kiss the trophy goodbye, 'cause today, you all played like a bunch of little pricks! You hear me?
                                                    Team: Yes, Coach!
                                                    Roy: Except for Kokoruda. Way to put your body on the line out there.
                                                    Little Girl: You know it, Coach.
                                                    Roy: All right, Monika's mum brought orange slices. Don't eat the peels, you animals. Off you go.

Keeley: Phoebe, how was the match today?
                                                    Phoebe: Outstanding. I got a red card for elbowing a girl in her neck.
                                                    Roy: And I'm very proud.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X