Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    When Harry Met Sally is a classic that revived the romantic comedy genre. Excellent writing.
    Not Annie Hall then? Though I know we're not allowed to say good things about it's writer/director anymore, it fits the bill I'd have thought.

Comment

I love both but Annie Hall was twelve years before WHMS and it feels like there was only a real spike in the number of, and success for, romcoms after the latter.

Comment

Yeah. There wasn’t much of that genre in the 80s.

The major criticism of WHMS was it was too much like Annie Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          I love both but Annie Hall was twelve years before WHMS and it feels like there was only a real spike in the number of, and success for, romcoms after the latter.
          True, you're probably right on the second point. I was reckoning AH as a pick-up after the dearth of seriously witty rom-coms since the forties.

Having said that there were probably odd ones all the way through. The Jack Lemmon/Shirley Maclaine Neil Simon flicks from early sixties. Then there are John Hughes's early mid-80s teen rom-coms. Though they maybe lack the "com" part somewhat.

Comment

I don’t recall the plot of Annie Hall.

WHMS made “they start out not liking each other but, predictably, end up together” a popular plot in the 90s, including film adaptations of Shakespeare and Jane Austen stories with that arc.

The other standard plot is “class difference is keeping them apart,” which is also ancient, of course. Occasionally there’s the “kid helps widow/widower/divorced parent together with preferred partner.”

Comment

I watched Halston. Don’t.
              The title should be The Rise and Fall of an Asshole.

As is often the case in biopics, there is some entertainment value in the on-the-nose exposition in every other scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

True, you're probably right on the second point. I was reckoning AH as a pick-up after the dearth of seriously witty rom-coms since the forties.

Having said that there were probably odd ones all the way through. The Jack Lemmon/Shirley Maclaine Neil Simon flicks from early sixties. Then there are John Hughes's early mid-80s teen rom-coms. Though they maybe lack the "com" part somewhat.

One of my favourites, The Goodbye Girl, from 1977, rarely seems to get a mention these days. Academy Award-nominated though, with Richard Dreyfuss walking off with the Oscar for Best Actor.

Comment

The Stowaway on Netflix. I found it very dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

One of my favourites, The Goodbye Girl, from 1977, rarely seems to get a mention these days. Academy Award-nominated though, with Richard Dreyfuss walking off with the Oscar for Best Actor.
                    Yeah. That was another Neil Simon play adapted for the screen. He was the boss of 'Manhattan couples comedies' in that era. See also, The Odd Couple, Barefoot in the Park, The Out- of-Towners, The Heartbreak Kid and many more.

Comment

Watched Duisburg on Netflix this evening. Italian /German film about the aftermath of that 'Ndrangheta massacre in a Duisburg Italian restaurant some years ago. Wish it had been a documentary rather than a semi fictionalised cop buddy film. Feel like they could have done so much more with it (and some of the acting - especially the mafiosi - was abysmal).

Don't bother

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        The Stowaway on Netflix. I found it very dull.
                        I liked it. But it’s slow.

Comment

I started watching City on a Hill. It seems like a typical corrupt cop drama. But the familiar Boston setting is entertaining. They haven’t needed to do any set dressing to make Revere Beach look like it’s in the early 90s.

Comment

It gets more expansive in season 2 pulling in more about the problems in the projects. There’s even some stuff about the IRA, but that’s not developed yet.

The stuff about the Ryan family is kind of a loose end by the end of season 2. I hope they get a season 3 to tie that back into the main stories with Jackie Rohr and Decourcey Ward.

Comment

I started watching Superstore on Netflix on Friday evening, After watching 3 or 4 episodes on Friday, I managed to follow it up with another 8 or 9 last night whilst ironing. I'm absolutely loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                I started watching Superstore on Netflix on Friday evening, After watching 3 or 4 episodes on Friday, I managed to follow it up with another 8 or 9 last night whilst ironing. I'm absolutely loving it.
                                That's a lot of ironing.

Comment

Simon G
                                  The final episode of Superstore last week on ITV2. I found it quite moving. Definitely an under-rated show (in the UK)

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

That's a lot of ironing.
                                    Myself, my wife and 4 children. I started at 7 and finished just after 10. Episodes on Netflix are about 22 mins, and I watched one more after I finished.

To be honest, I'd probably finish it more quickly if I didn't watch telly at the same time.

Comment

In Ep. 3 of Departure a character just said “we leave our shit on the tarmac!”

Comment

I thought they dropped it out midair.

Comment

Thanks to Hot Pepsi I stuck it out with Mare and I'm glad I did. Becoming must watch stuff. Still bloody grim though.

Comment

Yes, absolutely loving Mare of Easttown.

*SPOILER

Shocking end to episode 5, though considering who he is he should have been able to dodge that bullet.

Comment

Watched the new Whedon joint, The Nevers, and even leaving aside the issues around him, it's a weird one. There's a germ of a good show in there, the leads are compelling to watch, and there are lots of his characteristic dialogue touches, but the pacing is all over the place, one of the main antagonists is just poorly written, and it's leaning way too heavy into mystery-box type territory, for no particular reason. It even does a Dollhouse style time jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                Watched the new Whedon joint, The Nevers, and even leaving aside the issues around him, it's a weird one. There's a germ of a good show in there, the leads are compelling to watch, and there are lots of his characteristic dialogue touches, but the pacing is all over the place, one of the main antagonists is just poorly written, and it's leaning way too heavy into mystery-box type territory, for no particular reason. It even does a Dollhouse style time jump.
                                                I never saw Dollhouse, but the most recent episode was a surprise.

I can't always follow what's happening, because it crams so much into the first few episodes, but I like the characters and the overall vibe so I'll stick with it.

Comment

If you want kill an hour you could do worse than watching the G&M's clips of the best action movies of all time. Some stuff you'll know some I, at any rate, had never seen. Great fun.

With theatres closed and film release plans uncertain, we pick the 21 best action movies of all time to deliver all those warm, fuzzy, explosion-y summer movie thrills

Comment

I’m watching Goodfellas again.
                                                    For reasons I don’t recall, the first time I saw this was 1996.

“Go get your fucking shinebox.”

Comment

Working...
                                                    X