Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    The body count in Marcella is ridiculous. Do they ever get through an episode without 2 or 3 deaths?
    Stayed with it, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      The body count in Marcella is ridiculous. Do they ever get through an episode without 2 or 3 deaths?
      If you think that's extreme, try watching Gangs of London.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Finished our marathon through the Sopranos last night. Bereft now, North Jersey felt as real as North County Dublin these past few months. Nothing has come close since, an incredible piece of work.
        Absolutely agree. Still my favourite drama series by a country mile. Probably wouldn't advise trying to follow that with another good series right away as even a very good one will suffer with comparison to that. Probably better to watch some crap for a while to lower your expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Absolutely agree. Still my favourite drama series by a country mile. Probably wouldn't advise trying to follow that with another good series right away as even a very good one will suffer with comparison to that. Probably better to watch some crap for a while to lower your expectations.
          Coincidentally I finished it last night, so in the last couple of months I have cleared the whole runs of both The Wire and The Sopranos (this is all because I've got new broadband with Now TV bundled). I had to watch sitcoms for the rest of the evening after the tension of the final episode (that's not to say the preceding ones weren't tense, but I only watched the finale last night).

I need to catch up on a few films before launching into another full run of something, though am also queueing up some short runs like The Flight Attendant.

Comment

We just finished Arrested Development S3 and began S4. Man, did the tone ever change in the intervening 6 years. It's funny...but a lot of the magic is gone. Those first 3 though.

Comment

We watched 'Palm Springs' tonight, not sure if it's been mentioned already as I know it came out ages ago in the US but went on Amazon over here at the weekend.

I loved it, the premise is right up my street and clearly 'Groundhog Day' is a major reference point but they take the idea in a very different direction - even though there are is a central strand of romantic comedy in both. Palm Springs goes deeper and darker with the basic idea and the humour is a lot less family-friendly (it's rated as a 16+ on Amazon which I've never come across before).

Strangely, I've never seen much of Andy Samberg's previous work (my children's main interest in the film was because of his involvement as they're big Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans) but he is fantastic in it, though the other lead Cristin Milton probably outdoes him and there are some great minor performances.

I thoroughly recommend seeing it.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-04-2021, 00:35.

Comment

Oh yeah. I'm sure I mentioned it on here. Absolutely loved it to bits. It helps that I absolutely love the scenery and environment of it all, but I thought it was also both really funny and thought provoking as well as just being nice to look at.

Comment

I thought someone must have mentioned it before but the search facility yielded nothing (though I know there are still issues with it).

Comment

Brief mentions on Current Watching of 20 July 2020

SB was slightly less effusive at that time

Comment

Samberg is good in that Pop Star spoof too.

As part of my “catch up with classics” effort. I finally watched The Silence of the Lambs. Eh. It’s fine. Hopkins is absurd. Jodie Foster is great.

And I now get that there was a SOTL reference/spoof in the Jay and Silent Bob film.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Brief mentions on Current Watching of 20 July 2020

SB was slightly less effusive at that time
                        Fair. I rewatched it a month or so ago and found there was more to it than I thought first time out.

Comment

Watched Melissa McCarthy in Thunder Force tonight. I'm pretty sure that I won't rewatch it, and if I do there will not be any more substance. Maybe three tolerable gags (all involving Jason Bateman as half-crab).

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            Samberg is good in that Pop Star spoof too.

As part of my “catch up with classics” effort. I finally watched The Silence of the Lambs. Eh. It’s fine. Hopkins is absurd. Jodie Foster is great.

And I now get that there was a SOTL reference/spoof in the Jay and Silent Bob film.
                            I haven’t seen the Jay and Silent Bob movie, but did it have anything to do with fava beans?

Comment

Endeavour is okay. Might watch it all and then see how it flows through to Morse.
                              Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 13-04-2021, 02:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                Endeavour is okay. Might watch it all and then see how it flows through to Morse.
                                Yes, I hope they run it all the way to the late 80s Morse kick-off. If Shaun Evans is willing, there’ll always be an audience, and the production standards are streets ahead of Lewis - very much the poor relation of the three. That’s before you even get started with Laurence Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

I haven’t seen the Jay and Silent Bob movie, but did it have anything to do with fava beans?
                                  No.

Comment

Britbox is worth it just for Endeavour so far. We get more up to date stuff via Expatvision, but with only a seven day catch up it is hard to keep up with all the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

No.
                                      Ah right. The original is a helluva disturbing scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Ah right. The original is a helluva disturbing scene.

Wonderful song, though. Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus. I never get bored of listening to it.

Comment

I've been working my way through the last six months of S4C prestige drama offerings.

Started with all three series of Un Bore Mercher then Fflam and now Bregus. I'm only two episodes into the latter but I enjoyed both Un Bore Mercher and Fflam. Enjoyed them all.

Comment

We’ve just commenced a series (which kicked off in 2016) called The A Word. Set in Cumbria and revolving around a family with a 5-year-old boy diagnosed as autistic. Excellent cast (including Morven Christie, Christopher Ecclestone, Lee Ingleby and Pooky Quesnel), great locations, soundtrack and script. Both enjoyable and thought provoking. We have three series to look forward to. Anyone see this at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              We just finished Arrested Development S3 and began S4. Man, did the tone ever change in the intervening 6 years. It's funny...but a lot of the magic is gone. Those first 3 though.
                                              I just finished 3 again and it holds up better than I remembered. There are a couple cracks showing from them knowing the season is cut short and a few storylines that get shorted because of it, but ultimately not a huge letdown.

Season 4 though... it's just a lot meaner and darker and just... off, right? And the production quality is weird, like scrapped together from green-screened performances sometimes. I had to take a pause to give myself some time to adapt.

Logan Mountstuart

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ose-dirty-reds

maybe other threads too. Probably one of my favorite shows of recent years, even if it has it's flaws. Great performances, good atmosphere, killer use of soundtrack choices (Tusk, Listening Wind).

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                                                Season 4 though... it's just a lot meaner and darker and just... off, right? And the production quality is weird, like scrapped together from green-screened performances sometimes. I had to take a pause to give myself some time to adapt.
                                                We finally gave up on S4. Everything just changed too much and it spoiled it for us. One thing I could put my finger on was the pacing / editing of scenes. Scenes that used to be short and tight and punchy were suddenly three times too long, in that Saturday Night Live mindset that if some is good, more must surely be better.

Comment

In recent documentary / Netflix watching:

The Devil Next Door - Suburban Ohio auto worker John Demjanjuk is accused of being Treblinka guard Ivan the Terrible. Recommended.

The Staircase - Author Michael Peterson's wife dies at the foot of their stairway. Fall, pushed, or other? But it goes waaaaaay deeper than that. Highly Recommended.

The Bee Gees: How To Mend A Broken Heart - Two hour, deep career retrospective with a ton of interviews and archival footage. Wonderful.

The Ripper - Peter Sutcliffe, sexism, police incompetence in '70s England. Well worth the time.

Comment

Oh, and The Last Blockbuster. 'Small' doc about the very last (of 40,000) Blockbuster Video rental location, in Bend, Oregon. Sweet and nostalgic, featuring Kevin Smith (above) and a variety of other tier-3 actors and comedians. The hero is the lovely women who still runs the place, day in and day out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X