Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    I'm sure someone else here has watched Tenet. If so did you find it as incoherent as I did? If not, then truly my brain must have dribbled out between my ears without leave a stain on the pillow. I mean I got the premise — kind of — but the execution was so cinematically inarticulate to me I'm amazed I sat through the entire two and half hours.
    That seems to be the consensus. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

We had a thread, opinion was mixed.

Comment

I'm sure it has been mentioned elsewhere as I am such a late adopter - but The Detectorists was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Cheers. Really interesting how much your teenage kids loved it. Unlike traditional reading, we don't yet know the limits of human ability when it comes to "reading" imagery. Certainly I could comprehend a greater variety of visual information than my parents, they'd have been lost with the average music video. Children raised on a barrage of memes and tik-tok are almost certainly well past that. As someone who's lived in the created visual world my whole life, I'm beginning to accept there are levels of visual literacy that are leaving me behind. Which is genuinely fascinating, if more than a little depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
            I decided to watch Fifty Shades of Grey at the weekend, just to see if it was as bad as everyone said. It was.

(At least, the first 50 minutes were, I genuinely couldn't take any more after that).
            I watched it on the ferry to Nederland on the night of Cameron's election victory over Miliband. I just assumed there would be tv election results to watch but the signal goes not far from shore and there was only Eurosport.
            Then the bar was closed early due to a very rowdy Border farmers stag do (I had a pint opposite Central Station before getting the ferry bus and two of them were already near-comatose at around 3pm).
            So I went to the on-board cinema, showing 50 Shades. I may have lasted an hour but I didn't stay til the end.

Comment

White Tiger is superb but definitely dark. Infact the character warns you, "My story gets a lot darker from here." The metaphor of chickens in a coop is powerful; you could see the film as a very bleak case study of how master-slave* is still the dominant form of life for most people globally, and the dark moral choices that creates. It challenges the viewer to ask themselves if they'd make the same choices. It's pessimistic in how it views the improbability of political change in a capitalist society, and clearly sees democracy as a sham.

*The ways the actors portray that relationship are amazingly good.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-02-2021, 13:22.

Comment

Just finished hospital-based drama Charit? at War on Netflix. Hadn't realised it was one of three series set in the same place but at different times, so you don't necessarily need to watch the series in order. Really gripping stuff anyway, and am keen to seek out the other series.

Comment

I watched Into The Storm on BBC2 last night, a documentary about a young Peruvian surfer from a disadvantaged background. It's well worth a look as an illustration of the pressures upon young athletes, particularly when they feel they are carrying the hopes of others, and of life in Peru, which I had very little knowledge about.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    I've really enjoyed watching it, too. Kelly Reilly is great, you are right.

My main problem with the show is the Sons of Anarchy style of escalating and excessive violence. There's just a bit too much, and you get a feeling that in each season if it's not been ridiculously violent yet, then you feel it will be coming.

On the plus side, it has the dynamics of the fucked up rich family. It has stunning scenery and footage. And great performances. Because of the great camerawork, I think of it as a something like a Western Ozark.
                    We've watched the whole thing... I see shades of Dallas. Very enjoyable but I get the comparison with Sons of Anarchy (which me and Annette are currently watching... about 4 episodes into S2 so a long way to go).

Comment

Watched Crash Action Park on Sky Documentaries the other night. Very well put together documentary on the theme park from 70's/80's New York state. The first 2/3rds of the program are an enjoyable romp about how it was able to completely avoid insurance, how the rides were built (without any engineering knowledge or forethought those those that would use them) and just what a deceit, albeit mostly enjoyable, the whole thing was. The last third darkens considerably as the death toll starts; "there should never be a second death in the wave pool, just close the fucking pool" one of the talking heads comments and then you realise, from the early laughs and fun and mularkey, that this was a huge scam that actually played with peoples lives and wellbeing.

Comment

New Jersey (it likely would not have been allowed to operate in this somewhat less corrupt state)

Hot Pepsi visited several times in his youth. The adverts were ubiquitous on local television.

Comment

Is anyone else watching Resident Alien? The most recent episode had a penis joke that got me giggling.

Comment

I gave it a shot because I like Tudyk, but it seems pretty pedestrian so far, given the premise. Not sure I'm going to carry on with it much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              New Jersey (it likely would not have been allowed to operate in this somewhat less corrupt state)

Hot Pepsi visited several times in his youth. The adverts were ubiquitous on local television.
                              We only went there once, actually, but it feels like more times because I saw the ads so many times.

Comment

‘Stan and Ollie’, currently on iplayer, is a perfectly good way to spend an hour and a half. A warm, big hearted film that gives an occasional glimpse of the tension that arose between them but never lets it get in the way of the affection. Again, a film I enjoyed much more in the current situation than I might have done otherwise but a lovely diversion. John C Reilly is excellent as Ollie.

Comment

I was tempted to start a thread for this, but I've just finished watching part 6 and final episode of the latest of Mr Curtis' hypnotic documentaries.
                                  Best thing I've watched in some time, some criticise the foreboding ambient sounds used in places, but I cannot think of anything more salient for some of the bleak subject matter covered here. Besides, it ends on a glorious, hopeful note.

Comment

But decided against it, was what I was supposed to write...

Comment

I finished Bridgerton. It takes a while to get going, but it’s well made and entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                        I was tempted to start a thread for this, but I've just finished watching part 6 and final episode of the latest of Mr Curtis' hypnotic documentaries.
                                        Best thing I've watched in some time, some criticise the foreboding ambient sounds used in places, but I cannot think of anything more salient for some of the bleak subject matter covered here. Besides, it ends on a glorious, hopeful note.

What an extraordinary programme! I'm halfway through the first episode and not sure what to make of it, but thank you for alerting me to it.

Comment

Apocalypse Now has just started on BBC2. There's no way that I can stay awake long enough...

Comment

Just watched Tom Hardy in ‘Capone’ on Netflix. It focuses on Capone’s final year and his struggle with neurosyphilis, which seems like a walk in the park after the struggle I had with this utterly pointless and mind-numbingly dull film.

Comment

Doesn't Martin Sheen look like David Tennant.

Comment

Shhh, you're spoiling it.

Comment

Only an hour to go. It's doable.

Comment

I hadn't thought about the influence of Aguirre, the Wrath of God upon the waterborne scenes before.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X