Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I've never even heard of that. And it seems remarkable that Shannen Doherty was working a full 5 years before 90210. Now I want to see it.
    She had a regular role in Little House on the Prairie a few years prior to that film, and was in Heathers before 90210

Comment

True Story: In that film, Kim Walker, playing Heather Chandler, asks Heather Duke, played by Shannen Doherty, "Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?" Sadly, and ironically, Walker passed away from a brain tumor just 12 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
        I've been making my way through Babylon Berlin in anticipation of dropping NowTV. Loving it for the most part, but just got to the season 2 finale and it's all gone a bit silly.
        And season 3 seems just awful: bailed after 4 episodes. However much I love the aesthetic, the Scooby Doo masked villain pish was unwatchable.

Comment

I watched this review about 20 minutes ago and have been sat here since in a state of stunned silence, having been completely unaware of this movie existing until watching this.
          I thought we were done with casting non-autistic people in roles?
          It's directed by Sia, who has always been the epitomy of style over content, but I could not have foreseen this lack of thought or care.

Last edited by Mr Delicieux; 20-02-2021, 12:16.

Comment

Very good thread here, oh I've completely fudged sharing this.

https://twitter.com/autisticats/stat...296012804?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
              I watched this review about 20 minutes ago and have been sat here since in a state of stunned silence, having been completely unaware of this movie existing until watching this.
              I thought we were done with casting non-autistic people in roles?
              It's directed by Sia, who has always been the epitomy of style over content, but I could not have foreseen this lack of thought or care.
              That got nominated for some Golden Globes and, reportedly, none of the critics heard of it.

Comment

But pop stars' pet cinema projects usually turn out so well!

This does sound like it is a step beyond common or garden vanity project awfulness though.

Comment

That Twitter thread is very good at pointing out issues that could have been very easily avoided had an attempt been made to consulte a relevant organisation.
                  I must admit that I am not schooled in the matter, yet was aware that opening the film with garish colours and strobe lighting was a big red flag.

Comment

I've seen some of the 'controversy' about this. I'm always fairly sniffy about people who attack films without having seen them and try very hard not to do it myself. In this case, on the basis of that trailer, I am prepared to make an exception. I'm really glad I'm too old to have heard of Sia before.

Comment

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; Netflix. Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman. I was really looking forward to this. After 25 minutes of absolutely, positively nothing happening, we gave up. Oh God, was it torture.

Lillyhammer; Steve Van Zandt. Mafioso moves to witness protection in Norway. Gave it two episodes and quit. Neither compelling enough nor funny enough.

Comment

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; Netflix. Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman. I was really looking forward to this. After 25 minutes of absolutely, positively nothing happening, we gave up. Oh God, was it torture.
                        It's clearly a play rather than a movie, but making allowances for that we thought it was at least OK, perhaps even a bit better than that. Maybe you have to have a feel for the era, its music and musicians, but the acting is excellent, Boseman's final scene is worth the price of admission.

Comment

I really liked it. I wish it had more music, but the performances are great.

The Knick, Soderburgh’s show about doctors in NYC in 1900 that was originally on Cinemax, is now on HBO Max. So I’m working my way through season 2 of that. I saw season 1 at some time in the past when I had a free week of Cinemax.

Comment

I thought Ma Rainey was deeply dull and deeply mannered. But then I’m not a fan of plays and hate films-of-plays which have long monologues that might make sense on a stage but totally abandon all the things that being on “celluloid” offer. I loved the music and would have enjoyed a film about the music and the great migration north of the blues from the agricultural delta to the industrial Midwest. But this was a play and it was just drainingly boringly obvious that it was a play. I know that some people more mature than me don’t come in with my prejudices against stagey films, but I really couldn’t get past it, and if I hadn’t been feeling stubborn would have abandoned it after 40 minutes when I realized that there was so much invested in someone’s trumpety intro.

Even all the chatter about Chadwick Boseman’s acting seems weird given that Viola Davis (who I am not usually a massive fan of) is absolutely spectacular and by far the best thing about the film.

Comment

**Non spoiler kvetching**

It opened fine. Then they go to record a session with Ma and the four of them are in the basement bullshitting and bullshitting for literally 15 solid minutes about nothing. And then they cut to Ma walking out of the hotel, and I'm like 'okay, now we're getting somewhere' and then we immediately cut back to the basement and the same dialogue about 'the arrangement' picks up and carries on again. It was interminable.

And yeah, it was a play for sure. Which is probably why I hate Mamet movies....because they sound just like plays. And I love plays.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                I thought Ma Rainey was deeply dull and deeply mannered. But then I’m not a fan of plays and hate films-of-plays which have long monologues that might make sense on a stage but totally abandon all the things that being on “celluloid” offer. I loved the music and would have enjoyed a film about the music and the great migration north of the blues from the agricultural delta to the industrial Midwest. But this was a play and it was just drainingly boringly obvious that it was a play. I know that some people more mature than me don’t come in with my prejudices against stagey films, but I really couldn’t get past it, and if I hadn’t been feeling stubborn would have abandoned it after 40 minutes when I realized that there was so much invested in someone’s trumpety intro.

Even all the chatter about Chadwick Boseman’s acting seems weird given that Viola Davis (who I am not usually a massive fan of) is absolutely spectacular and by far the best thing about the film.
                                Did you see One Night in Miami? Most of the same issues, I suppose, hold for that, although it's a different era?

Comment

And yeah, it was a play for sure. Which is probably why I hate Mamet movies....because they sound just like plays. And I love plays.
                                  Me too. But I then I also don't mind televised plays — Olivier's complete Shakespeare for the Beeb was absolutely the dogs doobies for me. Plays were frequently televised when I was a kid, Pantomimes at Christmas, Brian Rix farces in Summer etc. They were even better because there was a real theatre audience, and a proper stage with a curtain between acts. Perhaps a cinematic play is more the problem? It's neither arsehole nor watercress, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Did you see One Night in Miami? Most of the same issues, I suppose, hold for that, although it's a different era?
                                    Yes, and I had a similar - probably stronger - response. I preferred Ma Rainey of the two, because I’m probably more interested in the history and period and because I enjoyed the music more. One Night In Miami felt even more forced and mannered and stagey, and the music elements felt like they were properly shoehorned in, where at least in Ma Rainey they were organically part of the story

Comment

I'd go along with that, though I thought it was watchable enough.

Comment

I haven’t tried the Miami one yet. I tried Malcolm & Marie a two-character thing by Sam Levinson with John David Washington and Zendaya. I just couldn’t stay interested in it. It’s one of those play things about a couple having a fight. I just thought they needed to break up and stop talking.

Comment

Another Five Star-rating for White Tiger from me. What a film, couldn't stop thinking and talking about it all day yesterday. Should have its own thread.

Comment

Have there been other reviews on here of 'White Tiger' apart from ad hoc's? I really need to get round to seeing that film.

Comment

Way behind the eight ball as usual, we started The Queen’s Gambit this evening, just Ep. 1. Quite compelling, and Isla Johnston as the young Beth is amazing.

Comment

I decided to watch Fifty Shades of Grey at the weekend, just to see if it was as bad as everyone said. It was.

(At least, the first 50 minutes were, I genuinely couldn't take any more after that).

Comment

I'm sure someone else here has watched Tenet. If so did you find it as incoherent as I did? If not, then truly my brain must have dribbled out between my ears without leave a stain on the pillow. I mean I got the premise — kind of — but the execution was so cinematically inarticulate to me I'm amazed I sat through the entire two and half hours.

Comment

Maybe because I was expecting it to be On The Buses bad, I've been pleasantly surprised by Man About the House. It's not amazing, and you can tell they've cut some things out from the way the laugh track sounds but what's left is fairly pleasant.

George and Mildred on the other hand is terrible. I don't get how they're living the suburban life when in MAtH they were in renting from the Church Commissioners. It's still not On The Buses bad.

Why yes, I have been watching a lot of stuff on the itv player. At least there aren't more Carry On films. The ones that everyone knows about are so so much better than the dreck they mostly appear to have been.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X