No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched a load of Mountain Men episodes over Christmas. Staged and heavily edited but entertaining enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

I'm glad it's not just us! It really is the worst of reality TV, dramatic music, snide editing, folk mugging up to the camera
      Judging by the trailers, most Australian “reality” shows fulfil these criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Judging by the trailers, most Australian “reality” shows fulfil these criteria.
        Ah right. There's so much added drama, it's moving further away from reality with each episode.

The producers surpassed themselves last night with 29 year old Matthew. All the earlier episodes was hanging on his 'dramatic secret' (cue music) which they gave away in the first episode, that he was still a virgin.

The poor lads now done the deed (off camera) so last night he was referred to as 'former virgin, Matt'. That pretty much applies to everyone doesnt it?!!

Comment

It's Ines I can't get over. The woman is pure evil. I know they edit it to make people look bad, but some of the stuff she comes out with, wow!!!

Comment

The brilliant Back is back. Series 2 starts on Thursday on C4 at 21:00. The first series is on All 4 catch-up for those who have yet to see it, written by Simon Blackwell and starring Mitchell and Webb. Hugely recommended.

Comment

I might give that another try, I suppose. I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the first series, but that may just have been because my expectations were too high, given who was in it.

Comment

I finished Lupin on Netflix earlier this week. I enjoyed it a lot, but have two major complaints. Text is in white below to avoid spoiling for others. Feel free to highlight the white text to make it readable if you care.

First, once the son was introduced I could see him coming into play a mile away. Just way too obvious. Second, I absolutely hate cliff hangers in a streaming age. There's obviously the annoyance that comes with having to wait for the series to run its course, which is unneeded now. Moreover, there's never a guarantee that a series will continue. Cliffhangers on network TV back in the day happened when the series had been renewed. I have no idea if Lupin has been renewed.

Comment

What sort of rubbish is All The President's Men? That was really disappointing.

I liked the bifocals though. I was watching something else recently that used a similar effect, but it used it to have two primary characters in focus and it felt weird. It was much more effective with the 'background' in focus on one side and then the near object on the other.

Comment

What, the Watergate film? I mean it's no Dick, but I enjoyed it when I saw it.

Comment

And it’s got Jason Robards in it.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. Redford, Hoffman & Robards are all good. The cinematography is very good. It's a fine film. But you need to know what was going on concurrent with the film to really get it I think.

And the ending really annoyed me. You jump from, "oh you made a mess but you correct in your assertion even without proof" to the teleprinter with sentences. It also doesn't mention Nixon at all.

Comment

I love All the President's Men. Like the more recent Spotlight, I find it a great portrayal of journalists working 'door to door', following leads (or in this case, following the money), whilst also conjuring up the mixture of paranoia, tenseness and euphoria as the story grows.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            I love All the President's Men. Like the more recent Spotlight, I find it a great portrayal of journalists working 'door to door', following leads (or in this case, following the money), whilst also conjuring up the mixture of paranoia, tenseness and euphoria as the story grows.
                            You need to see Colectiv. I think it's on Amazon (though I'm not entirely sure)

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                              Yeah, that's the one. Redford, Hoffman & Robards are all good. The cinematography is very good. It's a fine film. But you need to know what was going on concurrent with the film to really get it I think.

And the ending really annoyed me. You jump from, "oh you made a mess but you correct in your assertion even without proof" to the teleprinter with sentences. It also doesn't mention Nixon at all.
                              It was released in 1976. Everyone seeing it knew what happened to Nixon.

The Post is a pretty good version of some of the same events, albeit more focused on the Pentagon Papers. It's the most oscar-baity thing ever produced, but it is still well done.

I like newspaper movies. If I could live my life again, I think I might try to be a "real" journalist earlier so that I might get a few years of working in something approximating an old-timey news room.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 21-01-2021, 00:27.

Comment

One of my favourite newspaper films is His Girl Friday. Great fun.

Comment

I don't like newspaper movies, but His Girl Friday is fantastic.

Comment

It was on Film 4 yesterday.

Comment

Bit late to the Peppa Pig discussion, but the whole stev9e clan are fans, including Nanny stev9e. Ben and Holly is ok, but Nanny Plum is basically Miss Rabbit with a bit more depth.

Anyway, it's all about the Swashbuckle 'round my ends, everything stops at 3:15pm and the family come together to "bring home those jewels!". Love Gem, Cook, Line and Captain Hey Ho.

Comment

The fourth and final series of the excellent 'Call My Agent' is supposed to be up on Netflix today. If so, I'll be watching later.

Comment

The Danish language drama The Investigation has started on BBC 2 tonight, 2 episodes each lasting 45 minutes. It's about the criminal investigation following the murder of journalist Kim Wall, who was last seen getting onto a mini-submarine built by entrepreneur Peter Madsen. Neither Wall nor Madsen are portrayed in the dramatisation.

There's an interview with the lead detective here about the production http://dramaquarterly.com/true-detectives/ and a Guardian piece today by the man behind the drama series https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...obias-lindholm
                                          Last edited by RobW; 22-01-2021, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                            The fourth and final series of the excellent 'Call My Agent' is supposed to be up on Netflix today. If so, I'll be watching later.
                                            Yup, we just started it tonight. It's been far too long.

Comment

Also just finished Lupin, which was fun but utterly absurd. Barely a shred of believability, but a good romp.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                                The Danish language drama The Investigation has started on BBC 2 tonight, 2 episodes each lasting 45 minutes. It's about the criminal investigation following the murder of journalist Kim Wall, who was last seen getting onto a mini-submarine built by entrepreneur Peter Madsen. Neither Wall nor Madsen are portrayed in the dramatisation.

There's an interview with the lead detective here about the production http://dramaquarterly.com/true-detectives/ and a Guardian piece today by the man behind the drama series https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...obias-lindholm
                                                I enjoyed this. We were drawn to it via the trailers in seeing two principal actors in the show were key characters in the excellent 'Borgen'.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

I enjoyed this. We were drawn to it via the trailers in seeing two principal actors in the show were key characters in the excellent 'Borgen'.
                                                  I've recorded it (I know these days things don't have to be recorded, but if I rely on remembering to find things on iplayer there's no chance) and was attracted to it for the same reason. I've got to conclude the Valhalla Murders first, which I've squeezed in following the last series of Spiral. Incidentally the whole run of Spiral is on iplayer, don't know how long it is staying on though.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Yup, we just started it tonight. It's been far too long.
                                                    Seen the first two and really enjoyed them. Rather like in Series 2 the writers have introduced a new main character to change the office dymamic - and pulled it off again. Great ensemble acting as ever, but for me it's Noemie who steals every scene she is in. Laure Calamy is a terrific comic actress.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X