X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wolf..."

Comment

Comment

I watched Daphne on Amazon Prime two nights ago. A slow burn and a bit frustrating at times (a story where the central character seems to make all the wrong choices making it hard to be sympathetic). But I liked the general story and the urban cinematography is very engaging.

Comment

I know that it's not really of interest to anyone but I can't get over how much fun Kiss Me Kate was. It's got actors playing actors, actors playing gangsters playing actors. And I was amazed that songs and scenes were cut from the stage to make it acceptable for filming.

Comment

We've started watching Kim's Convenience on Netflix. It's very funny and makes me want to go back to Toronto.

Comment

Tonight's episode of A Perfect Planet really isn't one for the ophidiophobes.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                I know that it's not really of interest to anyone but I can't get over how much fun Kiss Me Kate was. It's got actors playing actors, actors playing gangsters playing actors. And I was amazed that songs and scenes were cut from the stage to make it acceptable for filming.
                I take it this wasn't the Caroline Quentin sitcom.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  Bowie on BBC4 has been entertaining enough, but obviously there's only so much footage that the Beeb has, so there's going to be repeats. Starman on TOTP is a case in point. If the lad in the tanktop constantly looking at himself on the monitor, and his mate in the purple shirt got royalties, they'd have enough to build an extension on their houses by now.
                  Lots of really good Bowie programmes on BBC Sounds at the moment.

My favourite Bob Mortimer WILTY story, which had me crying with laughter when I first saw it, was when he said that he and his mates used to sneak into people's gardens and then, starting quietly but getting louder, repeat the phrase, 'We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden.'

Incidentally, I played the WILTY board game over Christmas. It was really good fun, although the format is not really the same as the programme as you don't need to dredge your past life for potential stories.

Comment

You might need to pause at times if the turns and curves bring on car sickness. I say that in all seriousness:

Comment

Ooh. Haven’t seen that in years.

If you like that, “Climb Dance” is mesmerising as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Tonight's episode of A Perfect Planet really isn't one for the ophidiophobes.
                        God dammit. Why is the BBC so crap at letting me know when there's a new Attenborough show?

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          You might need to pause at times if the turns and curves bring on car sickness. I say that in all seriousness:

Checkpoint!

Comment

This Steven Spielberg guy directing the first episode of Columbo is pretty good isn't he? Does the direction stand out compared to comparable series of its time?

Comment

I can't recommend Deutschland 89 highly enough. Just fantastic work from everyone involved. The conclusion is both appropriate and somewhat heart breaking, although I didn't entirely understand who shot who exactly in that last bit.

****spoilier***
                              That's supposedly the end of the triology, but it seems to be keeping the door open for a Deutschland 2002.
                              He says in the end, "The Cold War is over. There's no more need for spies." That was supposed to be ironic, I think and may look forward to the 9/11 era.
                              Sabine murdered Max's mother. She's still out there, isn't she?
                              Was Nicole really just a teacher or does she work for the KGB or CIA?
                              The American guy got straight-up murdered. Deserved it. But still, that's going to raise some issues, won't it?
                              I fancied Brigette, the BND agent who sounds American but is German (indeed, all of these Germans speaking English like they're from Indiana makes me feel shame for my complete inability to get very far in German despite lots of tries). I think she could have her own series.
                              Then again, that Coda about Trump building the wall suggested that the story is over and they just wanted to point out how history will repeat. But the Mexico/US border wall isn't really like the Berlin Wall. The former is there to keep people out because of racism and the war on drugs. The Berlin Wall was about keeping people in because the East's economy went to shit and everyone was leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

God dammit. Why is the BBC so crap at letting me know when there's a new Attenborough show?
                                This is in 4K HDR on iPlayer, by the way, so if you have the TV for it be sure to watch it there rather than broadcast. Also, having watched the first episode, I'm not sure I grok what he's driving at with the name. There's some handwaving toward the anthropic principle at the beginning of the episode, and then at the end he tries to tie it to climate change, but it's all very slapdash. The only real thing tying the episode together was volcanoes, ie the episode title.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

This is in 4K HDR on iPlayer, by the way, so if you have the TV for it be sure to watch it there rather than broadcast. Also, having watched the first episode, I'm not sure I grok what he's driving at with the name. There's some handwaving toward the anthropic principle at the beginning of the episode, and then at the end he tries to tie it to climate change, but it's all very slapdash. The only real thing tying the episode together was volcanoes, ie the episode title.
                                  Whilst every new Attenborough series is generally "must watch" TV, they are becoming quite formulaic and despite some incredible new footage, there's often a lot of recycling of stuff we've seen plenty of times before.

I guess the problem is that he and his team have set such a ridiculously high bar for nature documentaries its become ever harder to find new and interesting stuff and different ways to cover it.

Comment

Yeah, I can't say any of the animal behaviour in the first episode was particularly amazing, especially compared to, say, Planet Earth 2, but it did look great.

Comment

OK, that fig wasp footage was pretty amazing.

Comment

The Pembrokeshire Murders (ITV) was a decent watch, and Keith Allen was unexpectedly very good as John Cooper, aka the Bullseye Killer.

These dramatisations always try and make the lead copper more interesting with stuff about his broken marriage amd strained relationship with his children, and there was a bit of that but they scaled it back and let the police work speak for itself, they could have cut it completely.

And Pembrokeshire looked very nice, which of course it is. I've promised Mrs D a trip there one day - I've been a few times, she never has.

Comment

jwdd27 knowing you are interested in true crime, I recently watched the series Wilderness of Error and The Most Dangerous Animal of All on Hulu. Both captured my attention and I thought they were well done.

The Charles Sobhraj series on Netflix hasn’t come to the US yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            The Pembrokeshire Murders (ITV) was a decent watch, and Keith Allen was unexpectedly very good as John Cooper, aka the Bullseye Killer.

These dramatisations always try and make the lead copper more interesting with stuff about his broken marriage amd strained relationship with his children, and there was a bit of that but they scaled it back and let the police work speak for itself, they could have cut it completely.

And Pembrokeshire looked very nice, which of course it is. I've promised Mrs D a trip there one day - I've been a few times, she never has.
                                            This appears to be the basic structure of everything on the BBC.

Comment

I missed Life on Mars first time around. Amazed it doesn't seem to be on any streaming platform in Australia.

Comment

These days a genuinely funny series is a worth anybody's downtime. Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix hits the spot. In a sentence, two sisters at an evangelical high school get part-time jobs working for a middle-aged black bounty hunter who runs a yogurt parlour, so they can pay for the repairs on their Dad's truck. Trust me, you'll laugh a lot.

Comment

We decided to watch Schitts Creek since everyone seems to be recommending it. But turns out not to be on Romanian Netflix which is a bit of a bummer.

Instead we're watching Ethos, a Turkish series which I'm enjoying quite a bit. The "Please note: important message here" signposting is a bit heavy, but it's an interesting concept (unknowingly intertwined lives of various people in and near Istanbul focused mostly on women and with the intercultural issues between the traditional be-headscaved and the modern "Western" Turks) which is well acted and well balanced

Edit:there's also a Kurdish couple, but as yet they haven't been a big part of the series. I'm assuming that they will be a little later
                                                  Last edited by ad hoc; 14-01-2021, 06:51.

Comment

We couldn't get on board with Schitt's Creek at all. Gave it a fair crack - maybe five or six episodes - then called it a day. For laughs we go back to Modern Family and for enjoyable silliness we keep in touch with Designated Survivor so we've a bit to go on at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X