Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    Tried to watch Death to 2020 this morning while having breakfast. Lasted about 15 minutes. Death to Death to 2020.
    Your tenacity is admirable. We ran for the hills -- in as far as pressing stop on a remote is anything like running for the hills -- after about five minutes.

Comment

We have binge-watched Bridgerton, and very much enjoyed it. The upper torso of the Duke of Hastings was much appreciated in this household. I preferred the opera singer and the dress-maker, but then I‘m of common blood. Queen Charlotte was a master-study in aristocratic aloofness. Sadly no historically inaccurate scenes where the people rise and behead the ruling classes. I wonder if there’d be any mileage in a script that pre-supposes a (successful) mirroring of the French Revolution on British soil, and what might have come afterwards.

Also watched The End of the World (2013), where Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and pals play themselves partying just as the apocalypse consumes LA. Frau imp thought it was too laddish, I thought it was okay for late Saturday night entertainment at the fag-end of the festive season. Might have been better watched when stoned, though.

Comment

My wife summarized Bridgerton for me as problems caused by a bloke pulling out before he comes.

Comment

I turned the TV on in the afternoon of NYE as some background noise while I got on with preparations for the evening and ended up watching the whole of 'Paint Your Wagon'.

Gawd, I love that film. I can't quite understand why it's maligned as a turkey, even allowing for it coming out at the fag end of the big musical era and the fact that Marvin and Eastwood are non-singers.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-01-2021, 14:21.

Comment

I was too late for the start of Match of the Day last night, so fired up iPlayer to watch from start.
            When exiting I stumbled across The Serpent, a BBC/Netflix dramatization of Charles Sobhraj's crime and killing spree across 1970s Asia. We ended up staying up until 4am watching the first 4 episodes, and I think it's excellent.
            Great performances, and it really captures the atmosphere of the hippie trail, and the underlying sleaze and decadence of the westerners in their peace and love playground, although that is perhaps one of the problems with it, that it makes you slightly sympathise slightly with Sobhraj's motives and those of his entourage.

Some people have struggled with the time hopping (every scene is "two months earlier", then "10 months later", but you get used to it and it builds tension nicely. Other minor problems are the use of subtitles and switching between languages, with Dutch and French speakers sometimes speaking English to each other, when they have no need, and a lot of characters are played by British actors where a native French/Dutch speaker might have been better. And of course, it's the 70s, so everyone has a fag on, at all times.
            But the performances are fantastic, especially Tahar Rahim as the lead, supported by Jenna Coleman, who is excellent even when she is just looking pretty (which is most of the time).

Sobhraj was a bit of a black hole in my vast serial killer knowledge, so I look forward to reading up on his case a bit more when we've finished the series.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Also watched The End of the World (2013), where Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and pals play themselves partying just as the apocalypse consumes LA. Frau imp thought it was too laddish, I thought it was okay for late Saturday night entertainment at the fag-end of the festive season. Might have been better watched when stoned, though.
              That last sentence basically sums up Seth Rogen's entire oeuvre.

Comment

Deutschland 89 in Hulu, the third and probably the last season of the series.

Comment

David Attenborough's 'Perfect Planet' is unsurprisingly superb.

Comment

The real action in Ben & Holly is the Wise Old Elf / Nanny Plum dynamic. There’s a story waiting to be told there.

Comment

Someone on here mentoned a few months ago that they were watching Australian Survivor. New Years Eve I decided to give it a try, not even expecting to make it to the end of Episode 1. Since then (84 hours later) I have watched over 30 hours of it. It's bloody addictive.

Comment

I watched an HBO documentary about the life and death of Natalie Wood last night, mainly because I find her achingly beautiful but partly because of the air of mystery that surrounds her death.

It was produced and presented by one of Wood's daughters and featured frequent and frank contributions from Robert Wagner, amongst others.

I always feel that she didn't receive the recognition that her acting talents deserved. Three Academy Award nominations at the start of her career and a Golden Globe at the end seems a poor return.

Comment

Cor, Michael Horden had one hell of a voice. Sounds of my childhood.

Watching Young Sherlock Holmes.

Comment

Death to 2020 was pretty good. The globalisation of the -Wipe format meant less caustic observation and more Police Squad! style gags but given the subject matter it probably needed it.

Hugh Grant and Lisa Kudrow were particularly good. (The latter casting was perfect.)

Comment

The first of the new series of 'Staged' was good last night. Really enjoyed Michael Palin playing against his 'nice guy reputation. His assertion that the show was essentially a "Celtic reacharound" had me laughing out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                I was too late for the start of Match of the Day last night, so fired up iPlayer to watch from start.
                                When exiting I stumbled across The Serpent, a BBC/Netflix dramatization of Charles Sobhraj's crime and killing spree across 1970s Asia. We ended up staying up until 4am watching the first 4 episodes, and I think it's excellent.
                                Great performances, and it really captures the atmosphere of the hippie trail, and the underlying sleaze and decadence of the westerners in their peace and love playground, although that is perhaps one of the problems with it, that it makes you slightly sympathise slightly with Sobhraj's motives and those of his entourage.

Some people have struggled with the time hopping (every scene is "two months earlier", then "10 months later", but you get used to it and it builds tension nicely. Other minor problems are the use of subtitles and switching between languages, with Dutch and French speakers sometimes speaking English to each other, when they have no need, and a lot of characters are played by British actors where a native French/Dutch speaker might have been better. And of course, it's the 70s, so everyone has a fag on, at all times.
                                But the performances are fantastic, especially Tahar Rahim as the lead, supported by Jenna Coleman, who is excellent even when she is just looking pretty (which is most of the time).

Sobhraj was a bit of a black hole in my vast serial killer knowledge, so I look forward to reading up on his case a bit more when we've finished the series.
                                I agree 100% with this. We binge watched it over two nights. Great acting, did the 79’s very well and seemed quite close to the actual story. Highly recommend.

Also watched the Trial of the Chicago Seven which was really good. Had my wife shouting at the telly at the injustice of it all. She doesn’t really know the USA very well.

Comment

Bowie on BBC4 has been entertaining enough, but obviously there's only so much footage that the Beeb has, so there's going to be repeats. Starman on TOTP is a case in point. If the lad in the tanktop constantly looking at himself on the monitor, and his mate in the purple shirt got royalties, they'd have enough to build an extension on their houses by now.

Comment

Kiss Me Kate was far filthier than I expected

Comment

I’m watching the Snowpiercer tv series. Pretty good.

Tina Fry’s new show (she’s writing it, not in it) with Ted Danson is great. Mr. Mayor. About a guy who is mayor of LA after the pandemic causes the previous mayor to freak out and quit.

Comment

Slight, I know, but Joe Swash's True/Lie on the seasonal WILTY was fantastic, right up with Tomasz Schafernacker's belief that sheep and lambs were two different breeds of animal.

Comment

The new series of WILTY which started last night was well up to the usual standards too. Still the most consistently funny show on TV.

Comment

Excellent. Haven't watched it yet. I'll put that right shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              The new series of WILTY which started last night was well up to the usual standards too. Still the most consistently funny show on TV.
                                              Les Dennis effortlessly eases into a three-way tie with Swash and Schafernacker after that final revelation.

Comment

Interestingly, the guests on the future programmes in the new series are listed on Wiki. Haven't seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I heard Bob Mortimer is on it a lot now. Is he still? I saw the clip of him claiming to do his own dentistry. No spoiler.

Comment

Oh yes. He's lined up for another appearance in a few weeks time. He's just about their favourite guest. Amongst his various Trues in the past are that he burnt his family home down when he set off a firework and that he can tear an apple in half with his bare hands.

About the only Lie I remember is that when Chris Rea ran him a bath he didn't crack a raw egg into it for the purpose of haircare.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X