Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I almost gave up part way through, but the ending made me want to see what happens next.

I've given up on The Boys. Just too violent and cynical. Fuck that. Same with Utopia. We don't need a violent paranoid show about pandemics right now.

I'm also not sure I'll stick with The Third Day or Raised By Wolves and I'm probably going to bail on the second season of The Terror even though I've watched eight of 12 episodes. As I've said, I'm really sick of shows that make me work so hard to figure out what the hell is going on, especially the ones that don't provide a sufficiently good reason why I should care.

I did like the first two episodes of the new season of Fargo. It is a little hard to figure out what is going on, but I'm still interested in the general milieu enough to try to stay with it. I certainly loved the previous seasons.

But mostly, I"m just rewatching Scrubs.

I also finished The Good Place. It can be a bit tiresome at times, but I really like how it ended.
    Nah, I’m going to pass on season 2 of Succession. I liked the overarching story and many of the sub plots but Some of the characters were not even close to being believable, eg Roman as COO of a multi billion dollar company - come on! Tom as a senior executive in the same company - please! Greg?

i watched Scrubs from start to finish a good few years ago. Very good.

some other stuff I’ve watched recently.

Damages - quite good, although the ending was weak.

The Shield - quite good.

Sherlock - Very good.

Spooks - very good.

not sure what to try next,

Comment

Oh, I really very much enjoyed S2 of Succession.

Comment

We're sticking with The Boys too, though yeah it is nasty, and there are a lot of look-away moments for me.

Comment

We're finally working our way through Sons of Anarchy and are enjoying it. It's not 'Tier 1' TV by any stretch, but it's good fun.

Comment

It is and it manages to stay that way throughout, despite cast changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Yes. It's almost as if those shows are from a different historical period, though they were made only a few months ago. We're at one of those cultural intersections where the question of whether art follows life, or life follows art seems up for grabs.
              Well, like I said before, I find that whole Garth Ennis/Mark Millar* "deconstruction" of superheroes thing to be a bit, um, done, now. I guess in the wider film/TV watching public, a cynical take on standard comic book themes feels new and appropriate right now given the prominence of superheroes in blockbuster films and TV. But Alan Moore did the original Watchman 35 years ago and I read it then, so "what if superheroes were actually fascists?" isn't that interesting to me any more, especially now that the threat of garden variety dumb fascists is a growing threat IRL.

However, the recent Watchmen series, which is really a sequel to the 80s comic, was very effective. It did a good job of mixing alternative history/speculative fiction with real, often overlooked, history.

It may be noteworthy that so many of these pessimistic comic stories are by British white guys - Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, etc, etc. They've also been allowed to write "mainstream" superhero comics, but in general, it seems like guys who grew up in the 70s and 80s in Britain just could not stand American-made superheroes (who were, almost without exception, invented by working class Jewish guys in New York in the middle of the century) and wanted to subvert the whole trope.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 06-10-2020, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Nah, I’m going to pass on season 2 of Succession. I liked the overarching story and many of the sub plots but Some of the characters were not even close to being believable, eg Roman as COO of a multi billion dollar company - come on! Tom as a senior executive in the same company - please! Greg?

i watched Scrubs from start to finish a good few years ago. Very good.

some other stuff I’ve watched recently.

Damages - quite good, although the ending was weak.

The Shield - quite good.

Sherlock - Very good.

Spooks - very good.

not sure what to try next,
                The people who made Damages made Bloodline about a family in the Florida Keys. Bad decisions are made. Stuff goes awry. Secrets are uncovered. Etc. It also has that format of sort of showing you how it ends little by little while telling the main story that leads to that. But it's not confusing. It just creates a feeling of dread and "things are not what they seem" that creates tension.

It was on Netflix so I don't know where you could see it. The ending isn't particularly satisfying, depending on one's point of view, but it felt like the only ending that made any sense* and the performances are great.

It's also shot mostly on location, which I thought made it unique. I've never been to the Keys.

*Semi spoiler alert: The ending feels a bit like the end of a Shakespearean tragedy or, perhaps, Breaking Bad. Nobody really wins, but then nobody really deserved to.

Comment

Yeah, the acting in Bloodline is great. Kyle Chandler, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, Ben Mendelsohn, Chloe Sevigny. It's a stellar cast.

Comment

Careful there; I've actually heard of one of them...

Comment

The one -off Netflix documentary 'Three Identical Strangers' is excellent.

Comment

Very late to the party but A Very English Scandal is back on the iplayer. It really is fucking brilliant. I am now really looking forward to the new Russel T Davies drama that has been trailed lately. I think it's going to be on Channel 4.

I unabashedly love Modern Family from start to finish. I watched it from series 1 and, at the beginning of each new series I was resigned to thinking that this would be the one where they jumped the shark. But, in my opinion, they never did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          Careful there; I've actually heard of one of them...
                          Sissy Spacek I presume? That's the only one I'd heard of too.

Comment

We've given Schitt's Creek a second chance, after not really getting into it having watched a couple of episodes first time around and it's really grown on us. At first glance it just seemed to be another "fish out of water" comedy featuring some awful rich characters stuck in a backwater but once it gets into it's stride we realised, actually, the main characters are well rounded, fairly decent people who've just been extremely privileged. Likewise the dumb hicks are much more three dimensional and there's some genuinely touching interplay between the main characters and their local counterparts.

Its still fairly lightweight but I can see why it's so popular in these current times. Everything in real life is so shitty and nasty that watching 20 minutes of pretty gentle and well meaning comedy is a blessed relief. It's a complete rejection of Trumpism, which is to be applauded.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that. When you finish the season*, watch the 1-hour 'final episode / after show' on CBC Gem (free). It's very moving.

* the series, not the season
                              Last edited by WOM; 07-10-2020, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                We've given Schitt's Creek a second chance, after not really getting into it having watched a couple of episodes first time around and it's really grown on us. At first glance it just seemed to be another "fish out of water" comedy featuring some awful rich characters stuck in a backwater but once it gets into it's stride we realised, actually, the main characters are well rounded, fairly decent people who've just been extremely privileged. Likewise the dumb hicks are much more three dimensional and there's some genuinely touching interplay between the main characters and their local counterparts.

Its still fairly lightweight but I can see why it's so popular in these current times. Everything in real life is so shitty and nasty that watching 20 minutes of pretty gentle and well meaning comedy is a blessed relief. It's a complete rejection of Trumpism, which is to be applauded.
                                Ted Lasso succeeds for the same reason.
                                There's a deep longing out there in the real world for non-nastiness. You wouldn't know it by reading twitter, of course.

Comment

Just watched Yellowstone S1... it’s Dallas with better scenery

Comment

I'm still ploughing through Schitt's Creek (halfway through season 2), I started watching Dark this week and Trailer Park Boys today.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                      ... and Trailer Park Boys today.
                                      My daughter (17) went from 'this is so stupid' to 'this is so good' in about three episodes.

Comment

I got bored after the films started and haven't watched any of the new ones, but fuck yeah. At first the terrible acting made it unwatchable, but a Newfie workmate's enthusiasm for it made me persevere. Fuck me, at its best it was a beautiful show. The greasy bastards.

Comment

Something about it reminds me of Reeves & Mortimer.

Comment

If you haven’t watched The Split you should. The cast are all brilliant,

Comment

A friend of mine has recommended The Forty-Year-Old-Version on Netflix (warning: N-word in trailer; NSFW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpG...hannel=Netflix
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-10-2020, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                                We're well into series 1 of the Danish political thriller 'Borgen' on Netflix and really enjoying it. It's a few years old now so I'm sure many of you have seen it.
                                                'Borgen' has moved up from 'engaging' to 'bingeworthy'.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Just finished the third (recently released) season of Bordertown (it;s called Sorjonen in the original Finnish). The first few episodes of series 3 I felt maybe it had lost the plot a bit, but actually the second half of the series was really excellent. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone (Netflix)
                                                  Odd, I seem to have access to only the first two series, cannot find the third series from Netflix at all. Maybe there's more to this Finland doesn't exist conspiracy theory than meets the eye...

Comment

That is odd, I'm currently watching the third series on Netflix.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X