No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished ItalianAmerican on YouTube, glorious, even the obtrusive French subtitles couldn't spoil it. Scorsese's Ma is amazing.

Comment

We watched the whole series of Ratched, and decided very early on that the best way to approach it is not to see it as the back story of the character from OFOTCN at all. The Mildred Ratched in this series is an entirely different beast to the the one in the film. I agree with slackster that the characters are mostly exaggerated stereotypes, though Cynthia Nixon stands out as a far more believable character and is by far the best performance.

Comment

We're well into series 1 of the Danish political thriller 'Borgen' on Netflix and really enjoying it. It's a few years old now so I'm sure many of you have seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
          We're well into series 1 of the Danish political thriller 'Borgen' on Netflix and really enjoying it. It's a few years old now so I'm sure many of you have seen it.
          Unlike most Netflix stuff it's got its own thread https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...en#post2351865

Comment

Watched the first 3 eps of Brave New World yesterday.
            It's always a little odd in these joint US/UK productions when you see Han Solo and Demi Moore acting alongside a couple of people from Downton Abbey and Casualty. Colliding realities and all that.
            That said, so far it's relatively painless. It's been so long since I read the book I can't tell how faithful it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Unlike most Netflix stuff it's got its own thread https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...en#post2351865
              Thanks for the link. I guess I'm enjoying it for the reasons most people on the thread do.

Comment

Watched the second season of Dead To Me on Netflix. Season One was harmless and entertaining enough, but also very predictable. I think season two was better, more subtle and a bit more unexpected. Christina Applegate and particularly Linda Cartellini are both great fun.

Comment

And I'm finally watching The Last Dance. I am someone who (as I've often said) finds basketball pretty much the dullest of all mainstream sports. So I come in with incredibly low expectations.

It is just a spectacularly good documentary, and actually has me enjoying the footage of the sport. Perhaps it even helps that I haven't the faintest idea who won which games, or who was traded when and where.

If I am loving it, I imagine anyone with the faintest interest in any sport would enjoy it.

Comment

Yeah, a well made documentary could have you happily watching two hours of people who collect hotel ashtrays or lint rollers. That sounds like it's just plain interesting.

Comment

Modern Family is, I realise, a huge show but one that has completely passed me by. This is a bit like admitting that I'd never seen The Simpsons. Anyway seen about six Modern Family episodes from Series 1 earlier and haven't laughed so much in ages. Terrifically well written gags and great characters. Little Manny is an absolute gem.

Only twelve years too late.

Comment

Yeah, it's consistently good. Blackish is also, I feel, underrated.

Comment

I've not even heard of Modern Family. Just Googled it and it looks like it's never been on Freeview, so that would probably explain why.

Comment

It's on Netflix in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                              Modern Family is, I realise, a huge show but one that has completely passed me by. This is a bit like admitting that I'd never seen The Simpsons.
                              Eh, it's happens easily with a lot of mass market sitcoms. Two and a Half Men, Mrs Brown's Boys etc.

Comment

Modern Family is good for a while. I don't know how many seasons, but a decent chunk. But there comes a point where you realise the writers are beginning to phone it in. Where the gag set-ups get increasingly predictable. Bail out at that point. Every few episodes there's still a great joke or two, but the wheat-to-chaff ratio gets pretty high in the last X (X = perhaps 5?) seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                  It's on Netflix in the UK.
                                  But I've got Amazon instead, and I'm not paying for two. I recognise that makes me the modern equivalent of the bloke who bought a Betamax and stuck with it, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    Modern Family is good for a while. I don't know how many seasons, but a decent chunk. But there comes a point where you realise the writers are beginning to phone it in. Where the gag set-ups get increasingly predictable. Bail out at that point. Every few episodes there's still a great joke or two, but the wheat-to-chaff ratio gets pretty high in the last X (X = perhaps 5?) seasons.
                                    Spot-on. Also, while Little Manny is quite funny in the first few seasons, Adolescent Manny becomes insufferable in the later seasons.

Comment

I watched it off and on, and then when I didn't have cable or Hulu, I stopped watching it. It's a good sitcom, as they go, but I don't feel like I'm really missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

But I've got Amazon instead, and I'm not paying for two. I recognise that makes me the modern equivalent of the bloke who bought a Betamax and stuck with it, but that's me.
                                        Is sharing logins not a thing over there? I have no idea how many people have our Netflix login, but I know we have Crave and Prime and don't pay for either of them.

Comment

Just watched the first season of Succession. I wished I hadn’t. The background storyline had great potential and still made for a great drama. However, some of the characters were quite completely unbelievable and frankly pathetic and basically spoiled the series for me. I won’t be watching series 2.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                            Just watched the first season of Succession. I wished I hadn’t. The background storyline had great potential and still made for a great drama. However, some of the characters were quite completely unbelievable and frankly pathetic and basically spoiled the series for me. I won’t be watching series 2.
                                            I almost gave up part way through, but the ending made me want to see what happens next.

I've given up on The Boys. Just too violent and cynical. Fuck that. Same with Utopia. We don't need a violent paranoid show about pandemics right now.

I'm also not sure I'll stick with The Third Day or Raised By Wolves and I'm probably going to bail on the second season of The Terror even though I've watched eight of 12 episodes. As I've said, I'm really sick of shows that make me work so hard to figure out what the hell is going on, especially the ones that don't provide a sufficiently good reason why I should care.

I did like the first two episodes of the new season of Fargo. It is a little hard to figure out what is going on, but I'm still interested in the general milieu enough to try to stay with it. I certainly loved the previous seasons.

But mostly, I"m just rewatching Scrubs.

I also finished The Good Place. It can be a bit tiresome at times, but I really like how it ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              I've given up on The Boys. Just too violent and cynical. Fuck that. Same with Utopia. We don't need a violent paranoid show about pandemics right now.
                                              Yes. It's almost as if those shows are from a different historical period, though they were made only a few months ago. We're at one of those cultural intersections where the question of whether art follows life, or life follows art seems up for grabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                Eh, it's happens easily with a lot of mass market sitcoms. Two and a Half Men, Mrs Brown's Boys etc.
                                                Those two are well worth missing.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds Trevor Noah's delivery just not funny at all?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                    I'll take that on board. Do maybe three seasons then leave it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X