No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having got the the end of Ozark S1, we have taken a bit of a break from all the vileness and brutality and started on Danish comedy Rita. Anyone here watched this? I'm already liking it a lot. Rita is a teacher and single mother, and the show is in part full on comedy (she's cynical and doesn't take shit from anyone, but the school scenes are both funny and gentle yet unvarnished), and in part more than just a comedy, dealing with the family dynamic and things like education policy (in Denmark obviously, but pretty universal). Anyway, I don't think I've heard anyone mention it on here but I recommend it. (it's on Netflix)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      Why? They're allowed to do something different.
      Of course they are. I just don't think I'm holding it to an unreasonably high standard. This has had more talent and money poured into it than possibly any comedy in history. I think it fails at whatever it is it's trying to do, as discussed in detail above.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Having got the the end of Ozark S1, we have taken a bit of a break from all the vileness and brutality and started on Danish comedy Rita. Anyone here watched this? I'm already liking it a lot. Rita is a teacher and single mother, and the show is in part full on comedy (she's cynical and doesn't take shit from anyone, but the school scenes are both funny and gentle yet unvarnished), and in part more than just a comedy, dealing with the family dynamic and things like education policy (in Denmark obviously, but pretty universal). Anyway, I don't think I've heard anyone mention it on here but I recommend it. (it's on Netflix)
        I saw the first few seasons, but then kinda lost interest because nothing new was really happening.

Comment

The Globe is showing productions on YouTube. Currently, A Midsummer Night's Dream, showing until the end of the week. WATCH IT! It's absolutely brilliant and a play extremely close to my heart.

Watching it is pitching me back nearly 30 years (holy fuck, I feel old) to our school production. We were an all boys school but the Head of Drama (also the Latin teacher, and a lovely man) brought in some ringers in the form of girls from the school up the road, very exciting for a young teenaged me in the role of Demetrius, the rather dishonourable but ultimately redeemed, if only by magic, one of the young lovers lost in the woods. That my best friend, who also bore a fair resemblance to me, especially at a distance, was playing Lysander just made it even better. My mother did supply teaching at the school and directed the bits with the Mechanicals. As anyone who knows the play will know they present an abortion of Romeo and Juliet to the court and whilst Elizabethan audiences may have tittered at the witty double entendres and bon mots of the nobility as they rip the piss, I remain proud to say that the laughs in our version were solely down to the "play" my dear old mum helmed.

I can still quote a fair chunk of my lines. Funny how stuff sticks with you.

Comment

The new Talking Heads with Sarah Lancashire was a bit dark for BBC One at 9.30pm on a Tuesday, I thought.

Comment

I saw the first few seasons, but then kinda lost interest because nothing new was really happening.
              Blimey, how many seasons are there?

Comment

I've been watching Nanette Burstein's Hillary Clinton documentary over the last few evenings. Such an impressive woman.

Her view of Bernie Sanders was utterly scathing.

Comment

which bit of Hillary Clinton did you find so impressive Nocturnal Submission?

I've found her pretty embarrassing, from her role as spouse of Governor of Arkansas to her position as Secretary of State

to say nothing, of course, of her campaign management skills.

Comment

I got round to watching Dating Amber (mentioned a few pages ago by a few of you) last night. Quite impressed. Particularly with whoever played Amber. I'm quite a long way from being a 16 year old Irish lesbian, but I ended up cheering her character on in a way I don't normally get involved with in films. The bloke character's mate (I'm not very good at remembering names, as you can tell) was also hilarious, although possibly because he was a lot more similar to what I was like at that age.

Comment

Working through Hill Street Blues on Channel 4's streaming service. Just watching episode 1 of season 5 and not only is Ken Olin (later of thirtysomething) a regular character now (having joined during season 4) but this episode features Michael Tucker and Jill Eikenberry as a married couple - who would of course later play a married couple in L.A. Law. Only so many actors to go round I suppose....

Comment

Same producer (Steven Bochco) for both Hill Street Blues and LA Law.

That was a period when Eikenberry and Tucker (who have been married in real life since the 70s) only worked together, in part because Eikenberry had breast cancer.

Comment

We just started MotherFatherSon which is well acted and looks great. But the script is a bit of a struggle at times, and to some extent I think it’s grim for the sake of being grim. Worth the time though overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Same producer (Steven Bochco) for both Hill Street Blues and LA Law.

That was a period when Eikenberry and Tucker (who have been married in real life since the 70s) only worked together, in part because Eikenberry had breast cancer.
                            I knew the first but not the second, and also didn't know that Barbara Bosson was married to Bochco. I did know that Patricia Wettig was (and I believe still is) married to Ken Olin - she is a guest star later in the season apparently, as are Tim Robbins, Joaquin Phoenix, Forest Whitaker, Penny Johnson Jerald, Paul Gleason and Frances McDormand. And the guy that played Data on Next Gen etc.

In the reverse of this I recently watched the Jean-Pierre Melville film "Un Flic" on Mubi and did a double-take when Sgt. Phil Esterhaus turned up as a robber.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                              Working through Hill Street Blues on Channel 4's streaming service.
                              Wow. Did not realise it was on any streaming service. I used to love it but haven't seen it since the 80s. Does it still hold up?

I am currently bingewatching This Country for the first time. Refreshing to see some new (to me) faces for British comedy.

Comment

Same here, I've been wanting to rewatch 'Hill Street Blues' for years. Thanks for the tip, WFD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Wow. Did not realise it was on any streaming service. I used to love it but haven't seen it since the 80s. Does it still hold up?

I am currently bingewatching This Country for the first time. Refreshing to see some new (to me) faces for British comedy.
                                  It still holds up well enough in my view at least. I picked up the first three seasons on DVD and have been watching these sporadically over the last year or two. The later seasons are harder to get hold of and more expensive so I only search for them occasionally. It was as a result of a recent search for them that I found out they were all on Channel 4 and I didn't need to shell out for them.

They have also recently added the aforementioned Buffy as well.

Comment

Oh and Hill Street Blues is also on Prime, but only the first two seasons.

Comment

Hill Street Blues was probably my first favorite drama. Prior to that, I watched various shows but that was one where I couldn't wait for the next week to see it again. I think I've watched a few episodes here and there when they've gone into syndication in the US.

Lately I've been catching up on various futbol matches so my routine has been to start a film one night and then finish it the next. This is something I never would have done in the past unless I was exhausted, but I'm digging this routine. Tonight I'm halfway through a Mexican film on Netflix called "El club de los insomnes." It's about two insomniacs who end up in a mini market every night and hang out with the woman who works the late night shift. It's kind of slow, but I've enjoyed what I have seen so far. The characters are a little quirky and the reasons why they end up in this space/why they have insomnia seems to be unfolding.

Comment

Yes, Hill Street Blues marked a shift from series like Kojak, Cannon, Starsky & Hutch and Streets of San Francisco. These were often excellent shows but HSB brought something new - or it certainly felt so. There was an earthiness; it just felt more real. I don’t think it’s being shown by anyone here but I imagine it’s held up well.

Comment

I’ve been watching and loving The Luminaries; I loved the book and the adaptation is pretty good. I went to Hokitika around the time the book came out; just missed the launch, in fact. The scenery is beautiful and Himesh Patel is gorgeous. I fancied him as Tamwar in EastEnders (a character they gave witty deadpan lines) and he is perfect in this.

It’s slightly distracting that the female baddie sounds to me a little like Ness in Gavin and Stacey.

I have one episode to go, so will watch that later.

Comment

I saw some of the new Twilight Zone. Not worth subscribing to CBS All Access.
                                            Timely piece by The Quietus here, which also reveals it's available in the UK on Now TV, which I don't subscribe to but may at some point in the future when I get rid of one of the other streaming services I've ended up subscribing to during lockdown.

Comment

Coming towards the end of a Taskmaster rewatch.
                                              Funny to see how it's evolved over time and regular length increases.
                                              The temptation to have "regular" tasks must have pretty powerful so to decide to never repeat anything is pretty brave.

Comment

Dark is back for its final system. I've totally forgotten who everyone is and who they're related to and, frequently, what period they're in. I'll probably figure it out during the final episode.

Comment

Now you can add what universe to that.

Comment

We're on S3 of Marcella. I remember less than nothing from the previous two seasons, so I'm utterly lost. But the show bores me to tears, so I'm not really sweating it. Everyone, without exception, is from Brit-crime central casting, and the cardboard is fraying at the edges.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X