No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the first season of Billions and found it average, a bit predictable and not very interesting. Couldn't bother with the second season. Succession is on my list of series to check out. I hope it is better than Billions.

Comment

It is. By a significant factor.

Comment

Unless Billions is truly brilliant, then Succession is better than it by a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

On Saturday I enjoyed this very beautiful documentary about excavating a film set

https://www.netflix.com/title/809888...entIntent=true
          Yeah that was good. Made me want to watch the movie pretty much immediately after.

Comment

I watched a film today called Once Upon A Time In Venice, starring Bruce Willis, Jason Momoa, John Goodman, Thomas Middleditch. It was astonishingly bad, involving an old nude Bruce Willis skateboarding car-chase scene and a dog-napping. How the hell did it get made, and how the hell did it get this cast?

Comment

It appears that the short answer is "written, directed and produced by a pair of well-funded, but talentless, brothers"

Comment

The Great on Hulu, sort of about Catherine the Great’s rise to power in Russia, is entertaining. It’s a bit like Dickinson, in that the language is anachronistic to make it easier to relate to, but not nearly to the degree of Dickinson (which features Louisa May Alcott suggesting “Hawthorne can eat a dick, am I right?”)

Comment

I’m getting into Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.

The first three seasons were set in. 19th century London and featured Victorian characters like Dr Frankenstein and Henry Jekyll and Dorian Gray.

This one is in Los Angeles in the 30s. It’s got lots of great stuff - references to racism that still apply today, Santa Muerte, Natalie Dormer, Nathan Lane and lots of baggy trousers.

Comment

I was totally turned off by the first series, but this one is much better. I loved the dance sequence last week.

Comment

Just watched the first episode of Inhuman Resources (DÉRAPAGES) on Netflix. It's got my attention. Eric C. does not disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        I was totally turned off by the first series, but this one is much better. I loved the dance sequence last week.
                        I'm with both of you. It's been great so far. And I love the period and place.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          Every now and then I think "ooh, that documentary sounds interesting", and then I watch five minutes and can't stand the presenter / presenting style, and I go back to Homes Under the Hammer.
                          Homes Under the Hammer is my go to for just chilling when I don't feel like yet another dark Nordic series or the completely unlovable characters of even sometimes good shows like Mystery Road.

Comment

Ours is Escape to the Country unless they want to establish a yurt business. Just buy a bloody house to live in, we want simple. Rural British locations look better from afar.

Comment

We watched the new, Harrison Ford, Call Of The Wild the other day.

It was deeply underwhelming for almost everyone. The CGI dog was a little too cartoony - super realistic looking but behaved in a cartoony way. I've never read the book, but the story seemed to remove most of the difficult, dramatic parts that I'd heard about. It was a flat, nothing of a film. With about the most anodyne, safe, tame Klondike gold rush you could imagine.

We had one disagreement. The one year old kitten Sesame was absolutely utterly obsessed. He was staring at the dogs and wolves, pawing at the screen. Yesterday, channel surfing we accidentally came across the Beverly Hills Dog Show (sadly we missed the toy dog section, so we didn't get the surely hilarious Beverly Hills Chihuahua section) and Sesame once again got utterly engrossed, staring longingly. I feel comfortable in the earlier decision we made to not have outside cats in an area rife with coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post

Homes Under the Hammer is my go to for just chilling when I don't feel like yet another dark Nordic series or the completely unlovable characters of even sometimes good shows like Mystery Road.
                                Bargain Hunt for me. Yes? Yes!
                                Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 19-05-2020, 20:21.

Comment

We forced the kids to watch a movie with us last night. We agreed on Bumblebee...the Transformers thing. It was brilliant, and we all enjoyed it.

Comment

I don't know if the Eddy was discussed upthread. I'm only into the first episode but digging it. The story is about a jazz musician from New York who is trying to get a jazz club going in Paris. It's very French in that there's a lot of running around to accomplish small things (which works for me). I like the code switching mid-sentence form French to English and the music is good. It has a bit of a Treme feel with the recurring inclusion of music throughout but definitely a focus on what seems to be a smaller story, whereas Treme was so deeply connected to Hurricane Katrina. Anyway, so far: good acting, interesting story, good music. It's on Netflix in the US and I assume the same is true in other countries.

Comment

We finished series 1 of How to get away with murder on Friday night and started series 2 last night.

It's enough to keep us entertained, and it hasn't developed into too much of a farce yet, but I have read elsewhere that there's no point going past s3.

Comment

That would be my reco.

Comment

Started watching a travel show with Ricky Tomlinson and the bloke who played his son in The Royle Family, they're travelling around Northern England in a camper van. The first episode was around Liverpool and Blackpool and was entertaining enough. Last night though, they headed to the Lake district. The two of them looked bored and spent half the episode shouting Brian Blessed impersonations at each other, that's enough for me thanks, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                            We finished series 1 of How to get away with murder on Friday night and started series 2 last night.

It's enough to keep us entertained, and it hasn't developed into too much of a farce yet, but I have read elsewhere that there's no point going past s3.
                                            The serieses merge for me, but I liked the first so I like all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              We forced the kids to watch a movie with us last night. We agreed on Bumblebee...the Transformers thing. It was brilliant, and we all enjoyed it.
                                              It’s not bad. Hailee Steinfeld is a decent actor and deserves to be a star insofar as anyone does. But I couldn’t recall her name and had to just look it up.

I don’t usually like any kind of reality or doc series unless they’re about something inconsequential. I find that “serious” docs often distort reality very easily through editing and their selection of interviews.

So I liked Prop Culture on Disney. A guy who collects movie props tracks down some props from well-likes Disney films and talks to some people who were involved with their creation or were in the film. *

The one I liked the best was the one on Mary Poppins. He interviews Richard Sherman as he plays the piano in Walt Disney’s actual office, which has been preserved for posterity. It said that only the Sherman brothers, who wrote lots of Disney music, are allowed to play it and the other one died a few years ago. They also interviewed one of the choreographers who is now in her 80s or 90s and the actress who played Jane.

That was the only pre-80s film featured in the 8 episodes.

They got Rick Moranis to talk about Honey, I Shrank the Kids, no doubt connected to the announcement that he is coming out of retirement to do a reboot soon.

I really liked the one on Tron since that movie was such a big deal for me as a kid.

*To me, the dream job would be to design sets props or costumes for films. But I don’t think I have the slightest aptitude for it, I’m not keen on moving to LA and I suspect the number of people who make a steady living at it and really love it is very small. The rest struggle with the erratic work schedule and or have to work on a lot of garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                *To me, the dream job would be to design sets props or costumes for films. But I don’t think I have the slightest aptitude for it, I’m not keen on moving to LA and I suspect the number of people who make a steady living at it and really love it is very small. The rest struggle with the erratic work schedule and or have to work on a lot of garbage.
                                                It's steady here in Vancouver (not at the moment obvs, as all productions are shut down.) Once you've got enough hours in to get a union ticket it's pretty lucrative. The toughest thing is the scheduling. Twelve hour days are routine, sometimes longer if you're on location. Actual design of sets and costumes, as opposed to making them, can take longer to get to, and some study is helpful.

Comment

Charlie Brookers Antiviral Wipe had some glorious gags in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

To me it would be to do voices for animation. I did a little voice-over work at the first tv station I worked - always envied our booth announcer. Chance for second takes, not on camera. Couldn't be a better gig.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X