Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

'Better Call Saul' - I appreciate the craft but I'm too stressed right now to sit through something so slow and static.
    Like Breaking Bad, the slow, deliberate approach to BCS is THE reason why I love both shows. Different strokes.

EPISODE 6 was superb!
    Last edited by Cal Alamein; 25-03-2020, 02:38.

Comment

In these stressful times, anything in German is hard for me to deal with for very long in a stretch. My brain understands a little but I really need the subtitles and it’s actually more to process than if I were just dependent on the subtitles completely as in Parasite.

I tried BB with the dubbed English. That was worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        I think dentures is one of the better autocorrects
        Oh I will have to leave that as it is.

Comment

Finally caught up with 'Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness', discussed by FF above, which is now #1 on Netflix. It is like a Louis Theroux or Jon Ronson documentary on steroids. As it's mainly set in Florida, the characters are recklessly open and unguarded in their admissions. The willingness of the public to pay high prices to watch these gorgeous animals being exploited is very upsetting but not really surprising if you live here and know the culture.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-03-2020, 22:38.

Comment

I watched CYE. I had never bothered before as i thought it would be shit like Sienfeld. I started with the beginning with the 10th Series. It's hilarious, the Weinstein lookalike and his scary looking wife. This show is too much and is cringe worthy in a hilarious way.

I also saw season 9 with the Fatwah, comedy genius.

Comment

Dogs of Berlin has a football angle (murder of a German star of Turkish descent). I'm not sure yet if I like it or find it too cold and cynical.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2020, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                I watched CYE. I had never bothered before as i thought it would be shit like Sienfeld. I started with the beginning with the 10th Series. It's hilarious, the Weinstein lookalike and his scary looking wife. This show is too much and is cringe worthy in a hilarious way.

I also saw season 9 with the Fatwah, comedy genius.
                CYE is marvelous for cringe-humour. And of course, for JB Smoove saying practically anything.

Comment

We've given up on Avenue 5. Have been watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist on E4 which is good fun if very twee. Also bought Disney Plus and have watched the first two episodes of the Mandalorian. Only 2 episodes on there, I guess to prevent people binge watching it on a 7 day trial and then cancelling their subs. Lots of other stuff on there of course, including the Star Wars films and series. Also I've never seen The Black Hole, so I'm going to watch that one night.

Comment

We also watched the Peter Rabbit film and that was a lot better than I expected. It's no Paddington but it had some funny bits.

Comment

Ah, man! The Black Hole was an absolute favourite when it came on TV in the early 80s and I was (what is now called) a tween. I suspect that the effects and the plot may not have held up well if I rewatched it today.

Comment

M*A*S*H is on Freeview 48, and it's on the first series. Just ignore the utterly irrelevant laughter track.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          Ah, man! The Black Hole was an absolute favourite when it came on TV in the early 80s and I was (what is now called) a tween. I suspect that the effects and the plot may not have held up well if I rewatched it today.
                          I rewatched it recently for the first time since I saw it in the theater when it was released. Doesn’t quite hold up.

New season of Ozark. I really like it.

Comment

We're watching Better Call Saul for the first time. Just finished series 2. I like it a lot, and the guy who plays Jimmy/Saul is brilliant.

My other half struggles with the pronunciation of one or two certain sound combinations in English. The "awl" part of the title here is one. This results in a kind of slightly off version which sounds very close to "Better Coleslaw" which is of course what we now call it

Comment

Season 2 of Narcos Mexico has drawn me right back in. The original Narcos series is still the only series that has come close to The Sopranos in terms of grim entertainment. It's good to have a new 'boxset' to go at in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                and the guy who plays Jimmy/Saul is brilliant.
                                Bob Odenkirk is a guy who has bubbled just beneath the surface for, like, 30 years. I honestly thought he would go unheralded his entire career and then die. But BB and BCS finally did it for him.

Comment

Tiger King on Netflix. Holy fucking shit. Make it a priority.

Comment

I watched the first episode but couldn't face anymore. There's a sociopathic narcissist in the White House who I can't fully ignore, I don't need to watch more of them by choice.

Comment

Rick Perlstein has a thread on Twitter today on just how troubling its popularity is for him

Comment

He makes valid points. Joe is a psychopath being treated as some kind of anti-hero. Baskin has been edited maliciously to reduce her to the same level as him despite having no criminal convictions:

[URL]https://twitter.com/rickperlstein/status/1243988486841040897[/URL]

Comment

We’re going upmarket and have restarted S1 of Downton Abbey from Mrs. S’ actual, physical box set. It’s a great show for a rewatch as I am a simultaneous TV viewer / iPad user unless a show is really gripping. So with DA I can just admire the quality and not worry about the characters or plot. Mind you the upstairs/downstairs divide is more glaring second time around, along with His Lordship’s woke-nesss.

If you’re one of many who don’t like DA, or don’t want to watch it on principle, the first twenty minutes are worth watching just for some incredibly long shots, in time terms. There’s a scene where Daisy the maid* comes up the stairs to clean the fireplaces, we follow her then hop from, staff member to staff member until the butler walks into the Drawing Room. Feels like a minute of tracking round the house.

Oh and Maggie Smith is epic.

* my Grandma Daisy was a maid, three or four years after DA’s 1912 kick-off.

Comment

Just starting Crip Camp on Netflix. Looks pretty good. It's a feature length single episode, not a series, about a camp for disabled people in the '70s.

Edit: It's not just about the camp, it's about the fight for civil rights and accessibility for disabled people.
                                            Last edited by Femme Folle; 29-03-2020, 03:44.

Comment

I got this emailed to me about Tiger King. I haven’t watched it, but I’m on a lot of animal welfare lists.

https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

Comment

To combat lockdown boredom I've started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer from the start. God, it's laughably shit, but also somehow very watchable, in a trun your brain off at the door kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Rick Perlstein has a thread on Twitter today on just how troubling its popularity is for him
                                                  Interesting take on it. Just a few thoughts in response.

I have no real opinion on the animal rights stuff, but regarding the human subjects, I find the show's popularity--more than its popularity, the rabid delight people are taking in it--one of the the disturbing aspects of our moment.
                                                  You have no real opinions on the animal rights stuff after 7 hours of this? Seriously?

And oh no...not the whole 'what this says about us' premise. Well...okay then...we'll do that, I guess.

I mean, you could make a HI-HARIOUS doc about Jim Jones or Cinque of the Symbionese Liberation Army, too. The same absurd megalomania that makes Joe Exotic, and his counterpart in Florida, such pleasurable spectacle also the things that make them moral cousins of cult leaders.
                                                  If he thinks this was just pleasurable spectacle, he didn't reflect long enough. This wasn't played for laughs, although there were plenty to be had. This was gut-wrenching throughout.

The guy grooms vulnerable an meth-dependent young men barely out of their teens into veritable sex slaves, driving one to suicide! And yet I've heard some wonderful humane people were talking about him like he was some lovable camp anti-hero.
                                                  Very true. They didn't go near enough the drug addiction bubbling below the surface nor the germ of the relationships between Joe and his husbands. Missed opportunity. Same again with the Bhagvan and his wives.

The documentarians are also very creepy, using the cheapest, most manipulating narrative techniques--people are going on and on about the delightful "twists"--to keep people glued to their seats.
                                                  Oh no!!! They used editing to build narrative and suspense? Those charlatans. WTF?

Meanwhile, yes, Carole Baskin is no exemplary person, but her response has some very hard to answer criticisms about their evasions: nothing, for example about disappeared husband's mental illness that makes his disappearance sound perfectly credible.
                                                  They deal with her husband's supposed mental illness / dementia, and it was pretty clear (in the documentar) she fabricated it. Perhaps there's other information 'out there'.

(Check the meat grinder detail from the blog post, and if it sounds credible to you, tell me why this show isn't the worst exploitative crap.)
                                                  The meat grinder thing was literally one line in the doc, and she dismissed it, and that was that.

Then there's the awful yokel voyeurism, hardly more sophisticated than "Toddlers and Tiaras."
                                                  Bullshit. That's who these people are, but they weren't played for yokels. They were presented as who they were...no better no worse. You can't pick and choose which tiger-zoo owning, gun-toting, polygamist homosexual rednecks you portray, but this one had a lot of side stories, so I guess....

She makes claims that would be very easy to check: that the filmmakers didn't show the tracts of her land where the tigers roam; that the scene where it makes it look like she's basically running a busy zoo was on a once-a-year a public-viewing day.
                                                  This is true. You're left with the very real sense that she's simply running an alternative zoo and is 'just as bad' as Joe.

All in all, C+ work. He had tweets to fill and he did a half-assed job.

Comment

I enjoy the first two seasons of Babylon Berlin but episode 1 of season 3 seemed so terrible I couldn’t be bothered

Comment

Working...
                                                    X