No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the changes to the Kermode & Mayo show/podcast under social distancing might be of interest to some on here.

Apologies for all the gifs, obviously :

[URL]https://twitter.com/wittertainment/status/1240240351186690054?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I watched Nightcrawler yesterday.

At one point, stressing her lack of interest concerning an incident in LA suburbia, Rene Russo yells "Fuck Corona!!!"

I chuckled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        I thought the changes to the Kermode & Mayo show/podcast under social distancing might be of interest to some on here.
        Cheers, I'm sure I follow them on Twitter but must have missed that yesterday, and was wondering (aloud to my kids last night actually) whether they would just stop for a few months.

Also wondering whether more movies - particularly arthouse ones - will go straight to streaming now, because like everything else there is going to be a crowded marketplace when normality starts to return and they may be better off taking the streaming money now rather than get trampled later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Cheers, I'm sure I follow them on Twitter but must have missed that yesterday, and was wondering (aloud to my kids last night actually) whether they would just stop for a few months.

Also wondering whether more movies - particularly arthouse ones - will go straight to streaming now, because like everything else there is going to be a crowded marketplace when normality starts to return and they may be better off taking the streaming money now rather than get trampled later on.
          I recommend the Big Picture podcast. Lots of discussion about that

Comment

I finally saw Snowpiercer tonight. Lawd knows why I chose to watch a dystopian sci-fi movie about the last few surviving members of the human race trapped together and killing each other.

I enjoyed it though. An excellent cast and a gripping, if occasionally ropey, plot that goes off on some strange tangents.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2020, 09:07.

Comment

We are about 1/2 way through season two of Mrs. Maisel - damned good, but way bawdier than what we were expecting.

Also revisiting the Ken Burns Baseball documentary series.

Comment

A lot of postapocalyptic shit is “trending” on Prime and Netflix right now. People need to take it down a notch.

Comment

Agreed.

We're living it right now, no need to bathe in it.

Comment

Well, in my defence, I'm working my way through all the Bong Joon-ho movies I've previously meant to watch, post 'Parasite'.

The movie I watched prior to 'Snowpiercer' was introducing my children to 'Galaxy Quest' so I'm mixing it up.

Comment

Tiger King on Netflix. This is some batshit crazy stuff. True story, too.

Comment

Scratching around for our customary half hour comedy to complete the evening’s typical schedule, we’ve found Lovesick which should do the job for a while.

Comment

Three episodes into "The Expanse". I'm enjoying it but I find the dark colour palette quite tough on the eyes.

Been watching Picard as well. My dad was a Trekkie so I grew up watching next generation, deep space 9, voyager, etc. The vibe has changed a lot since then.

Comment

Fancied something light last night, so did the latest couple of episodes of Gogglebox on (UK) All4. Forgotten how funny it could be. There’s still some great characters on it. The eccentric Giles & Mary are my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                              Tiger King on Netflix. This is some batshit crazy stuff. True story, too.
                              I listened to the Joe Exotic podcast awhile ago and don't think I can stomach seeing the bastard for an entire series.

Comment

Not going to watch something about animal abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                  Three episodes into "The Expanse". I'm enjoying it but I find the dark colour palette quite tough on the eyes.

Been watching Picard as well. My dad was a Trekkie so I grew up watching next generation, deep space 9, voyager, etc. The vibe has changed a lot since then.
                                  I watched a bunch of that, but decided it wasn't worth the price of CBS OnDemand (or whatever it's called). There wasn't anything else I really wanted to watch on there enough to pay for it. That Twilight Zone reboot was bad - at least the first five or six eps I saw - an that other new Star Trek show was annoying me because it was supposed to be ten years before TOS and yet they had all kinds of better technology. Yeah, of course special effects are 55 years better, but they should have found a way to make that look more consistent, I thought. Maybe others disagree. I'm not really a trekkie. I only really got into TGS.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

It takes a while to get into The Expanse. A lot of it doesn't even make sense at first. I've read all the books - well, the main series - so feel free to AMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

I listened to the Joe Exotic podcast awhile ago and don't think I can stomach seeing the bastard for an entire series.
                                      I don't think I could stomach listening to his podcast. He's just one of several characters in the documentary. With most of these people, you know they're trash, but the one person who is supposed to be the "good guy" is the one I would trust the least.

Comment

Casting JonBenet is a very weird, very....weird documentary about the purported making of a made-for-tv movie about the murder of JonBenet Ramsey on Christmas Day, 1996. Through the process of casting the lead roles, the actors reveal their theories of the crime and the impact (or lack of) that the crime had on them. Touching in parts, funny/absurd in others, it's a real character study and reflects the oddness of crimes that touch people deeply and then go unsolved. It's...as I say....weird, but very engaging.

On Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Scratching around for our customary half hour comedy to complete the evening’s typical schedule, we’ve found Lovesick which should do the job for a while.
                                          We dipped our toes last night. Early days yet but it shows promise.

Comment

Just started The Capture and Episode 1 was very promising. Stars Callum Turner (Anatole Kuragin from War & Peace, and probably already destined for a future as “the bad guy”). Also dentures Nigel Lindsay and Ralph “Finchie” Ineson, both of whom it’s good to see crop up.

The main cop is Holliday Granger, and Mrs. S won the evening’s IMDB Game by identifying her as Sarah Smart’s daughter in Sparkhouse (2002).

Comment

I think dentures is one of the better autocorrects

Comment

Just started 'Freud' on Netflix. Episode 1 was borderline between interesting history and (literally) hysterical bollocks. 'Babylon Berlin' is holding my interest (Series 3, Episode 8) but the right-wing political characters are a little tedious; not as interesting as the police ones. I know 1929 is a key year in the rise of the Third Reich but those scenes need to avoid bogging the episodes down.

'Better Call Saul' - I appreciate the craft but I'm too stressed right now to sit through something so slow and static. I also just don't like the central relationship between Jimmy and his partner, who vacillates between having a conscience then continuing to go along with him, for reasons which are not clear (does he really have that much charisma?).

I can't gather much interest in Mike and the gangsters, despite again appreciating the craft of the writing and acting.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-03-2020, 20:31.

Comment

We finished Babylon Berlin last week. Probably inevitably, it certainly lacks the epic sweep of the first season (series 1&2) and plot-wise was a bit more conventional, but was compelling nevertheless. I especially liked the portrayal of UFA studios, and their production methods. Also the nod to a Louise Brooks manque as one of the victims.

BCS dawdles along. It's plotting is clever, and most of the characters are OK, but it lacks a strong focus. I think, and have done since S1E1, that we need the present day B&W Saul's story to get more time, rather than a couple of scenes at the beginning and end of each season. The show's 90% back-story and, for me, that just doesn't work very well.

Comment

I haven't started season 3 of Babylon Berlin yet. Been saving that one.

For me, BCS season 5 is excellent so far, but I am a total homer and love all the characters and also recognizing where the scenes are shot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X