No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It;s not as weird as the "The B52s had seven albums, not just those two sings you've heard of". but it's still weird.

Comment

I thought most people would have known the follow-up to Business As Usual, but not much at all after that. The B-52s is a weird one. I can't even imagine wanting to preview some of those albums on iTunes, much less invest time and money in them.

[I mean 'Funplex'? Hitting the brief a bit hard, there.]

Comment

Funplex isn't one of them, but five of the seven went platinum or gold in the US.

Comment

My experience may be coloured by having lived with a huge fan of The B-52s for a few years but they're quite a well known band with at least a compilation album's worth of significant songs over the 12/13 years they were really active.

Whereas Men at Work have a AA sided single's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

They were supremely talented as musicians and as a band. They get short shrift because they had a sense of humour.
            I watched the doc on Colin Hay recently and it revealed to me that M@W were actually much more popular than I recall. They were the first rock band I liked and a few other kids I knew sort of liked them, but in school, they seemed sort of fringe and alternative because that was the era of Thriller. Also, their career on top was very short. Part of their problem, apparently was that Business As Usual came out late in the US so Cargo came out here very soon after. It’s better to let a bit more time between albums. Then they fired the rhythm section and made one more record that didn’t really do well.

I think about 10 of their songs are really good. That’s a good rate for three albums.

When I was 12, I thought they were all good.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-02-2020, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Funplex isn't one of them, but five of the seven went platinum or gold in the US.
              I'll stand by Cosmic Thing as an entire album, any day of the week. Five of seven does surprise me, though. I'd have gone 2, maybe 3 of 7.

Comment

Saw the Sonic the Hedgehog film with the cub yesterday.
                it’s as by-the-numbers as you’d expect.

Comment

Proper LOL at Cosmic Thing being WOM's B-52's album of choice. The first 3 albums and Mesopotamia are solid gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                    Proper LOL at Cosmic Thing being WOM's B-52's album of choice.
                    NO....no no no. That's not what I meant. I meant that it's a solid album, end to end. Seriously, not a weak spot on it. But the eponymous first album for fave.

Comment

The first episode of the new and final series of This Country was quite good but not amazingly so, but I loved the way that they wrote the death of Slugs, reflecting the actual death of the actor who played him, Michael Sleggs, into the script as a tribute. Very touching.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Re: The Stranger. Enjoyed the journey, but the conclusion was one of the most ill-conceived and confused since Lost.

Spoilers: (scroll over to read.)

Really, total and utter bollocks. And a pity because the lead up had been pretty decent.
                        Have to agree Amor - the whole set up was fantastic then they just seemed to lose all track of where they were heading.

Spoilers:

What I don't get is why she even covered for him. She had literally no reason to support him. Also, as Tripp said before being shot, most of the evidence would point to Alex being the killer anyway.

There's unanswered questions as well - what happened between The Stranger and Killarne when she visited him? Even if Alex is The Stranger's brother, why does she care enough to throw herself in front of a bullet for him. Did her partner die?

The ending was awful and it's a shame because the wife and I were hooked on the other 7 episodes.

FWIW, I thought Paul Kaye was sufficiently creepy for his role, he played it very well.

Comment

Ooh, there’s a new series of Hidden on the Beeb. But only being drip-fed onto iplayer right now, so binge lovers will have to wait a few weeks, although series 1 is up there too. If you like yer Wales extra bleak & bilingual this one’s for you.

Comment

I’m watching the new High Fidelity series on Hulu. It’s more similar to the film than the book - breaking the fourth wall and even a lot of specific lines - but it’s got Zoey Kravitz in the lead as Rob, it’s set in Brooklyn rather than Chicago or London and some of the genders and ethnicities of the other characters are changed too.

That’s fine, of course. The film was a bit too white. And it’s a great showcase for Zoe Kravitz and a few other actors I don’t recognize.

But otherwise it just seems like a drawn out version of the film and I’m not sure that’s good. The film had a nice brisk pace and framing around him looking up his old girlfriends gave it structure. This has a lot of long shots of Zoe Kravitz looking forlorn and it seems like it may have already dispensed with the top five breakups part, although maybe it will return to that. I’m only on episode four.

Not sure if I’ll make it the whole season.

Comment

Watched the Netflix film The Children Act (Emma Thomson, Stanley Tucci and a strong supporting cast) which was very good if not brilliant. Worth seeing, even if Tucci isn’t in it enough.

Comment

Netflix has a new wildlife documentary called Untamed Romania which i watched last night. I live in a beautiful place. If nature docs are your thing I'd recommend it. If you enjoyed it enough, you;re welcome to come and visit.

(Edit: obviously netflix has a different list of programmes in different countries so you might not have access to it)

Comment

Oooooo! New season of Babylon Berlin in a week

Comment

Watched Downsizing last night, which was an enjoyable couple of hours. Christoph Waltz and Hong Chau being the standout actors along with Matt Damon being his usual dependable self as the put upon lead character. It was an engaging story and the characters made it but I couldn't help thinking that Alexander Payne, the director, did very little (no pun intended) with the premise once it had been established.

There were a multitude of consequences that weren't explored or barely touched upon. How were the shrunk people protected from birds, animals or even insects? What were the defence implications? Why were they shrinking other animals rather than farming animals that were already their size? Outside of the "small cities", how were they dealing with the weather?

I guess they didn't factor into the story Payne wanted to tell but some of them seemed like fairly fundamental questions that could have done with some answers. Overall though it was a fun film.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Watched the Netflix film The Children Act (Emma Thomson, Stanley Tucci and a strong supporting cast) which was very good if not brilliant. Worth seeing, even if Tucci isn’t in it enough.
                                      I like Emma Thompson so I might check that out. Although I wasn't too impressed with her in Late Night. She acts her heart out but she just doesn't come over as believable as a stand-up comedian/late night chat show host.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                        Watched Downsizing last night, which was an enjoyable couple of hours. Christoph Waltz and Hong Chau being the standout actors along with Matt Damon being his usual dependable self as the put upon lead character. It was an engaging story and the characters made it but I couldn't help thinking that Alexander Payne, the director, did very little (no pun intended) with the premise once it had been established.

There were a multitude of consequences that weren't explored or barely touched upon. How were the shrunk people protected from birds, animals or even insects? What were the defence implications? Why were they shrinking other animals rather than farming animals that were already their size? Outside of the "small cities", how were they dealing with the weather?

I guess they didn't factor into the story Payne wanted to tell but some of them seemed like fairly fundamental questions that could have done with some answers. Overall though it was a fun film.
                                        I thought there was something about the birds, but I haven’t seen it in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                          Ooh, there’s a new series of Hidden on the Beeb. But only being drip-fed onto iplayer right now, so binge lovers will have to wait a few weeks, although series 1 is up there too. If you like yer Wales extra bleak & bilingual this one’s for you.
                                          What night of the week?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I thought there was something about the birds, but I haven’t seen it in a while.
                                            There was one shot of a bird trapped (?) in the canopy of one of the small cities and then the butterflies at the end but there seemed to be no explanation of how 5” tall people protected themselves from birds, animals and even insects.

Comment

I understand that Better Call Saul season 5 is out today (or is that just US Netflix?). Will be diving back into that this evening.

Comment

The cities were protected by a net. Not sure about insects. Maybe they just ran a fan a few feet over the city. That would keep flying bugs away but not make it windy in the town.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  The cities were protected by a net. Not sure about insects. Maybe they just ran a fan a few feet over the city. That would keep flying bugs away but not make it windy in the town.
                                                  The small people often seemed to travel to big towns though and the original Norwegian community was totally open to nature.

Comment

We watched downsizing this week too. There was a tiny bit of explanation re: the insects and birds. Leisureland had a full protective canopy. The bit outside the wall where Ngoc Lan lived had a budget net which a bird had met its demise on. The Norwegian colony gave a glib explanation saying that they were too close to the water for insects such as mosquitoes to be interested and the birds preferred eating lemmings. It wasn't fully thought through, especially concerning when little people visited big people. I wondered about the tiny yacht and how that dealt with waves. I still enjoyed it though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X