No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it was on the IFC channel or some such here.

Comment

We just stumbled upon Strangers, watching two episodes last night (though, see Mundane Thread, I nodded off during episode 2).

How many mysterious subplots is too many?

Comment

HORN you mean The Stramger?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Just seen it on Amazon and concur with everything you say. Thought it started slowly and was going to be likeable but humdrum until the Barbie scene which had me giggling greatly and it all kicked off from there. Especially agree about the soundtrack. Most of it is going to appear in my next DJ set.
          Saw it today and I agree with the both of you. Yes, it really did get better as it went on. Great soundtrack. I might watch it again as I'm sure I missed some of the jokes the first time round.

Comment

Watched Lady Bird. Enjoyed it, but didn't really get the hype. Possibly because it was my era of being a teenager and the life stories of virtually any one of my contemporaries were all more interesting.

Three episodes into Picard. More watchable than I was expecting. I used to watch Star Trek with my dad when I was a kid (mostly next generation and voyager with a bit of the original series and deep space nine thrown in for good measure). Then I went off it for ages, too much of a good thing. I've seen the recent films and while they're enjoyable, they don't really have the same feel to them any more. There's none of the optimism that the future might be better and egalitarian and hopeful. This Picard one is equally bleak.

Watched the last two episodes of The Good Place. Made me cry. As far as I'm concerned they wrapped it up about as well as they possibly could.

I've finished season two of The Crown. Don't know how I feel about a whole change of cast for the next season. Probably won't get a chance to find out for a while (too busy).

Comment

Caught a Netflix doco on Taylor Swift. Interesting some of the material left in - assuming subject had final say on edits as it does look very much a PR piece. Honest about eating disorders, happy to be shown without make-up etc. Interesting insights into why she took a political stand and the opposition she faced from within her management team. A bit disjointed but some fascinating vision of her creative process.

Comment

Three episodes into Picard. More watchable than I was expecting.
                I'm sticking with it because of Patrick Stewart, but by golly it’s a clunking oscript in places and the pace is absolutely glacial.
                4 episodes in and I reckon there’s been about an episode’s worth of programme.

Comment

Picard is dreadful. He didn't like data on TNG, yet he's robot jesus on this.
                  Ridiculous scene where him and robot lady jesus are running up the stairs, because the 1st thing you'd do when trying to escape is make an 80 year old man run up several flights of stairs, yes, excellent plan... Thing is, they only run up there to set up the fight scene on the rooftop, because they're trying to stretch a films worth of script over a whole season. And the show is riddled with such things.
                  It pays zero heed to the source material beyond surface level details like 'he likes earl grey tea!' Cue him mentioning it at every turn...
                  The Mandalorian is high-art in comparison, that's a worthy investment of your limited, precious time.

Comment

And fighty action scenes in anything relating to star trek is wrong, along with the clunky af social commentary.
                    Fuck that, give us the Roddenberry vision of a future where humanity has cast off ridiculous notions like racism, not 'OOOH MASSIVE BORG CUBE GON GITYA'

Comment

Clunky AF social commentary is TOS's stock in trade, surely.

Comment

Picard didn’t dislike Data. WTH are you talking about?

Comment

I think Freestyles has gotten Star Trek mixed up with original Battlestar Galactica

Comment

Is there something I should know? The Duran Duran documentary gave a good insight into the bands history and a reminder of some of the cracking tunes they've produced over the years.

Comment

Subtitle: The Long and Winding Rio-d.

Comment

I may try to see that.

Duran Duran are the only 80’s band that I liked way more during the 80’s than I do now. Even with the nostalgia, they just don’t do anything for me for some reason, whereas I still have Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work, Real Life, and a bunch of other MTV favorites on my playlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  I may try to see that.

Duran Duran are the only 80’s band that I liked way more during the 80’s than I do now. Even with the nostalgia, they just don’t do anything for me for some reason, whereas I still have Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work, Real Life, and a bunch of other MTV favorites on my playlist.
                                  It's the opposite for me. I wasn't mad keen on them in the 80s but I thought the Wedding Album and Astronaut were great and made me appreciate their earlier stuff more.

Comment

DD’s early singles are fun. Hungry Like the Wolf has made it into my 25yo daughter’s oldies playlist.

Edit: Japan, of course, were the best. But I doubt they’ll get a doco.

Comment

I hadn't read about the John Hughes influence on Sex Education until the last page of that scene but the girls ending up in detention was right out of the Breakfast Club.

I'm into the second season of a binge of Dexter. It's crazy how bad the show looks in terms of cinematography and the writing feels like something crafted for Lifetime Movie Network made for TV movie ("Step Mom Stalker" and the like) but I'm enjoying the general premise of a serial killer working as a crime scene detective. So, I'll stick with it while there's nothing else fighting for my viewing attention other than football.

Comment

I may try to see that.

Sorry, WHAT?? Are you trying to tell me Men at Work did more than one song?

Comment

Who Can It Be Now?

Comment

It's just Overkill.

Comment

The wife and I are one episode away from completing The Stranger - we've loved it but I'm concerned by what I've read about the conclusion (no spoilers, just people disappointed in it).

Last night, whilst ironing, I also watched Uncut Gems which I thought was fantastic. Adam Sandler is clearly playing his best role and he plays it perfectly. It's quite breathless as the film just doesn't rest for the whole 2 and a bit hours of it's running time.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Sorry, WHAT?? Are you trying to tell me Men at Work did more than one song?
                                                They did three albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  Edit: Japan, of course, were the best. But I doubt they’ll get a doco.
                                                  No disrespect, of course, but I'm fucked if I can get my head around why Japan were even the slightest bit popular. Beyond 'Polaroids', which was middling at best.

Comment

They did three albums.
                                                    They were supremely talented as musicians and as a band. They get short shrift because they had a sense of humour.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X