Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HORN View Post
    Are there really Welsh accents in "Sex Education"?

If so then I (perhaps understandably) missed them.
    I can’t really remember. I only saw two episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Watched Forever, which seems to have been cancelled. I think I liked it.
      Bummer that was cancelled.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 05-02-2020, 00:38.

Comment

Aye, good writing, great performances. The episode that featured none of the leads was a heartbreaking jewel of a thing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          Aye, good writing, great performances. The episode that featured none of the leads was a heartbreaking jewel of a thing as well.
          That’s right. A perfect short film.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
            Are there really Welsh accents in "Sex Education"?

If so then I (perhaps understandably) missed them.
            No, English. Filmed in the Forest of Dean area IIRC but not local actors anyway. Maeve is half French.

Comment

Sex Education has the same weird America-in-the-UK aesthetic that The End Of the Fucking World does. It's quite disconcerting to see it become so widespread.

Comment

From our vantage point it felt pretty English.

Comment

We watched the 1st 3 episodes of The Stranger (netflix) last night. Felt like an ITV drama - glossy & lightweight - but we’re hooked.

Now I’m not an expert on Greater Manchester, but even I recognised some of the central & suburban filming locations, and as it preposterously jumped between them it got me thinking of those old films set in London & the like where the continuity was just downright silly (eg character walks out of Park Lane hotel, strolls round the corner to cross Tower Bridge, then immediately pops in for a beer in a pub in Chelsea). It’s fiction, of course, but it’s unsettling/amusing if you know the real life areas involved.

Comment

As mentioned earlier it improves well enough to stick with. We just finished the series and I found the last two or three episodes the most enjoyable; fairly typical British crime drama but decently done. Richard Armitage gets a free pass Chez Sits as he’s Mrs. S’ heartthrob. He’s pretty good, but the strongest acting for me was from Siobhan Finneran.

Edit: and nice to see Stephen Rea. Been ages since he was in anything we’ve watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      From our vantage point it felt pretty English.
                      It's most obvious in things like the school assemblies and the whole iconography of the school (which is then doubled down on with Jackson's letter jacket, another Americanism). But it comes across elsewhere - the fast food place in the mall where Maeve briefly works feels much more American (TV American, anyway) than British with its pastel uniforms and diner stools.

Comment

I just assumed those things were supposed to show the school/cafe aspiring to an American aesthetic, rather than the show’s creators doing so. I mean, there’s an American style diner in Selfridges in the Bull Ring. But I suppose it’s open to either interpretation.

Comment

No, English. Filmed in the Forest of Dean area IIRC but not local actors anyway. Maeve is half French.
                          A lot of the filming is done in Wales.

As ever, the Welsh media would like to highlight the Welsh locations, music and actors in it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                            Sex Education has the same weird America-in-the-UK aesthetic that The End Of the Fucking World does. It's quite disconcerting to see it become so widespread.
                            Yeah, it's far more pervasive on Sex Education. Right down to the cars, which all look brand new but are 30+ years old. And the colour schemes and music all shouting '80s, but kids are also texting. It's weird, but I like it.

Comment

I just assumed those things were supposed to show the school/cafe aspiring to an American aesthetic, rather than the show’s creators doing so.
                              No, the creator said she modeled it around the aesthetic of John Hughes films. Right down to the library being a 'library within a gymnasium', a la Breakfast Club.

Comment

Has anyone watched "The Stranger" on Netflix. A very good friend of mine has a minor role in it.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

No, the creator said she modeled it around the aesthetic of John Hughes films. Right down to the library being a 'library within a gymnasium', a la Breakfast Club.
                                  I sits corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                    Has anyone watched "The Stranger" on Netflix. A very good friend of mine has a minor role in it.
                                    Yes, see upthread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                      Just finished it! Complete bollocks but great fun to watch, wife and I enjoyed it. Which part was played by your friend?

Comment

I completely forgot about Deutschland 86 and started watching it. I can tell you that a lot of office scenes at the intelligence ministry in East-Berlin have been filmed at the Stasi Museum (which I visited last month - well worth a visit)

Comment

Rock Around The Clock is currently on Sony Classic (Freeview 50). It's inspiring me to smash my furniture...

Comment

Where is Deutschland 86 to be seen?

I tried All 4 recently and drew a blank

Have also visited the Stasi museum and agree with the recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Just finished it! Complete bollocks but great fun to watch, wife and I enjoyed it. Which part was played by your friend?
                                              He was in episode 7 and & 8. The Private investigator Mr Ince.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                                Where is Deutschland 86 to be seen?

I tried All 4 recently and drew a blank

Have also visited the Stasi museum and agree with the recommendation
                                                I found it on the C4 app on my streaming stick

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Just finished it! Complete bollocks but great fun to watch, wife and I enjoyed it.
                                                  Re: The Stranger. Enjoyed the journey, but the conclusion was one of the most ill-conceived and confused since Lost.

Spoilers: (scroll over to read.)

1) How do our two protagonists account for the neighbour with three bullets in him in the woods? And the buried body at his feet?

2) Hiding the gun in the house of the rat-cop proves nothing. How would he have killed the neighbour and replaced the gun when he was already under arrest? Why would he have killed the neighbour, he'd had nothing to do with him or his family?

Really, total and utter bollocks. And a pity because the lead up had been pretty decent.

Comment

Hard to argue with you there Amor, although it didn’t ruin it for me.

Spoilers: (scroll over to read.)

When we cut to the final scene and Siobhan Finneran’s retirement was mentioned, I assumed she had taken the fall for killing the neighbour. But somehow only been kicked out of the force, not jailed, on grounds of self defence. Or something. Actually that’s just as far fetched now I write it down, the neighbour was unarmed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X