Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    I know all you Amazon or Netflix people watched it months ago but Good Omens is on the BBC now. Well the first two episodes have aired it's like proper TV. I can't say I'm in love with it. They've assembled an amazing cast but I don't think Neil Gaiman is a very good screenwriter. I don't deny that he's an amazing writer and an excellent storyteller but not a screenwriter.

I think that Anathema Device is too pretty, and wasn't given much to do in her episode. There wasn't enough Agnes Nutter. David Tennant's serpent eyes are too distracting.

Also Jack Fucking Whitehall.
    Saw it first time round Levin. It's ace.

Watched Messiah on Netflix this week...well, I wasn't expecting that!

Started the Jonestown documentaries on yesterday. Both were too much for one night - it's a deeply disturbing story. I was 11 when the news broke and I remember it quite clearly.

Although, slightly distractingly are the recordings of Jones' voice - whilst chilling, there are moments that he just sounds like Sam Kinison...

Comment

Just finished watching the first ten episodes of 'Kipo and the age of wonder beasts' with the kids on Netflix. Great series. Unfortunately that's all there is of it so far and the kids are now going to pester me about what happens next for months until they forget about it.

Comment

'Ray Donovan' finished very strongly in the end. Though it sounds like being renewed for season 8 is not a given. The finale hinted that the Donovans may return to LA if the show does return.

Comment

Episode 1 of Picard and E01S03 of Sabrina today.
          Both worth persevering with.

Comment

I liked Picard.

Not sure if I want to persevere with Sabrina. I watched S3:E1 and am starting to think I just don’t care. The novelty has worn off.

Comment

This isn’t very edgy, but we’re really enjoying Monty Don’s series Big Dreams, Small Spaces. It’s just a garden makeover show but he seems genuinely engaged with the participants and is kind to them without fail. Most Australian reality and lifestyle shows are competitive and they push the grudges, which seems popular with sufficient Australian viewers. What we’ve seen of UK equivalents seem generally friendlier. Don seems a nice chap* and the gardens are fun.

*cue someone confirming his fascist sympathies etc.

Comment

I found Monty a tad annoying. He seemed to be channelling Kevin McLoud.

Comment

I was flicking through Sky's on demand offerings and came across a mini series called From the Earth to the Moon. Originally released in 1998, I had never heard of it until now. 2 episodes in, excellent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    This isn’t very edgy, but we’re really enjoying Monty Don’s series Big Dreams, Small Spaces. It’s just a garden makeover show but he seems genuinely engaged with the participants and is kind to them without fail. Most Australian reality and lifestyle shows are competitive and they push the grudges, which seems popular with sufficient Australian viewers. What we’ve seen of UK equivalents seem generally friendlier. Don seems a nice chap* and the gardens are fun.

*cue someone confirming his fascist sympathies etc.

I thought that I heard something about Monty having Far-Left sympathies, but I'm not sure if that's really the case or not.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                      Oi, I'll not hear a bad word against Kevin McCloud.* I bloody love Kevin McCloud.

*skirting over his unfortunate investment vehicle, of course.

Comment

Also enjoyed the first episode of Picard and anticipating future episodes.
                        Messiah was good and finished on a nice little cliffhanger even though there is no confirmation of a second season yet.
                        Also watching Treadstone on Prime. It's decent fodder if you liked the Bourne films and includes a bit of origin backstory set in the Cold War as well as an up to date story. To be honest I wish they had been a bit braver and just gone with the backstory set in seventies Eastern Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          Anyone else seen 'Booksmart'? I would normally start a stand alone thread for a movie but given this has been out in the UK for two months and is already almost disappeared from cinemas I doubt it would sustain one.

I finally saw it tonight and it was fantastic. Fantastically smart, funny script, great performances from a lesser known cast (a few cameos aside), quite touching in places and a killer soundtrack. I don't think I've seen any of the recent 'coming of age' movies it's been compared to like 'Superbad' because none of them came across with the wit and charm this one had even just from the trailer.

Anyway, thoroughly recommended when it ends up on streaming platforms and the like.
                          Just seen it on Amazon and concur with everything you say. Thought it started slowly and was going to be likeable but humdrum until the Barbie scene which had me giggling greatly and it all kicked off from there. Especially agree about the soundtrack. Most of it is going to appear in my next DJ set.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I'm waiting avidly for the new season. I read somewhere it was being picked up by one of the networks. I hope that's not true as it'll suffer the limitations of The Good Wife. They should leave it on cable where it belongs.
                            I bought the first two episodes of Season 3, but can't be splashing money around at the moment, so will wait for the rest. I may go back to the beginning of Season 1, while I am waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                              This comment is much more confusing if, like me, you thought Kevin McCLoud played Tommy in Trainspotting.

Comment

Not a fan of Star Trek. Watched maybe a season and a half of TNG. An episode of DS9, and absolutely nothing after that, including the films.

Liked Picard. Will watch more.

Comment

Yup, same.

Comment

I tried Giri|Haji, I didn't make it through the first episode. I gave up when the policewoman had disappointing sex with the man she'd been on a disappointing date. Everything was just so cliched and nothing made me care enough to see if those expectations would be subverted.

I also watched Dracula, because I like Vampires ok?, and wasn't that just everything you'd expect from Gatiss and Moffat in 2020?

I did binge all of The End of the F***ing World. And it is brilliant. The best telly I've seen this year. And I don't want to say too much in case people haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

This comment is much more confusing if, like me, you thought Kevin McCLoud played Tommy in Trainspotting.
                                      Didn’t he?!?

Comment

Nah, Kevin McKidd. But I had to Google that.

Comment

“It’s shite being a self-builder Tommy. We’re the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low. Some people hate Persimmon, but not me. They’re just wankers...”

Comment

Finished Series 3 of 'Mrs Maisel'. It was great but I'm not sure where they can go next with it because they've exhausted what they can do with the premise and the characters. I'd be tempted to go out while on top, but I suspect commercial considerations will milk it until it goes into steep decline, which would be regrettable.

The highlights are the one-liners and the musical set-pieces, and how hard the crew works to make those scenes authentic. The cast are all very good (especially the women, notably) but Alex Borstein (Susie Myerson) is the star, without whom it would be much less edgy.

My wife thought the ending was too much of a downer but I thought it was fairly brave to go out like that.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-01-2020, 11:57.

Comment

I should have finished with "American Gods" this evening. What a weird series but I enjoyed it.

Started watching "White House Farm", usual decent ITV crime drama stuff.

Comment

I watched a documentary "Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks" recently, it is available on Netflix and if you grew up watching Kung Fu films, you would absolutely love it. I know for a fact it is right up Jason Voorhees street.

Comment

Do any older members here remember Crown Court, transmitted by Granada TV in the 70s and 8os? Just watched one on youtube (remarkably most episodes were saved) and it was highly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                    Do any older members here remember Crown Court, transmitted by Granada TV in the 70s and 8os? Just watched one on youtube (remarkably most episodes were saved) and it was highly entertaining.
                                                    I remember that, it used to be on TV during the day sandwiched between those Anti-German B&W war movies.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X