No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so am I rubbish at searching, or are there really no mentions of Basil Brush and no mentions of Rodney Bewes in the forum?

Comment

MsD evoked Basil Brush among other television stalwarts, but I think our last real discussion of him was on the old board.

Comment

So, it appears that the first co-host of The Basil Brush Show was Rodney Bewes. I'm wondering if there's any video evidence of this.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
          There’s already been a few mentions of this, but Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame) is shaping up to be bloody excellent. I’m up to episode 4 (of 8) and completely hooked. Still on the bbc iplayer for a couple more months, I believe.
          I started that. Am having some trouble following it all, but it is unique and interesting.

Am I right that Yakuza really stand out in Japan because they dress like sharply-attired Italian bankers whereas that's not really the mode for Japanese businessmen? Because in the first episode, there are guys that show up whose affiliation isn't clear, but the immediate impression is "Oh, that guy's a gangster." But maybe that's just something I read somewhere and isn't true?

Comment

Giri/Haji is ace. And worth it if only for the astonishing black and white bit in the last episode

Comment

Don't know the show, but as I understand it in Japan tattoos have a very strong Yakuza connotation, so maybe that's what they're responding too?

Comment

Current watching:
                - just finished Stranger Things season 2 with husband. Slightly wary of starting the next season as everything's just about ok now and it's clearly all going to go horribly wrong again.
                - watching The Good Place as the episodes come out. It's definitely past its prime, but has the benefit that an episode is only 22 minutes long so I can still get an early night.
                - finished watching The House. Very enjoyable. No further bouts of uncontrollable giggles.
                - on season 2 episode 5 of The Crown. I watch this on the rare occasions that I'm in the house on my own and the children are asleep. I like the fact that it alerts me to areas of British history that I might not have been aware of which I can then go and read the Wikipedia page on. It's far too deferential though.
                ​​​​
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  So, it appears that the first co-host of The Basil Brush Show was Rodney Bewes. I'm wondering if there's any video evidence of this.
                  He (Basil) used to appear on the David Nixen show before that.

Comment

I don't know if this is airing outside North America, but Letterkenny is definitely an update of Seinfeld's show about nothing. The general plotlines seem to repeat but I laugh out loud a lot.

I'm about 4 episodes into Mrs. Maisel. I know this latest season was already discussed earlier a few pages back. I'm good with it, although her father is becoming increasingly annoying. This one is on about one or two per week so no hurry for me.

Getting ready to start Sex Education (or whatever season 2 is called--I really liked the first season).

And I've been watching the Outsider on HBO. So far I'm enjoying it but I have a feeling that won't last. The "paranormal" category listing is not a genre that fits my interests so I assume the story will take a turn in ways that will have me moving on, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Comment

We started watching Living With Myself last night, Netflix's comedy/drama starring Paul Rudd. So far, three episodes in, it's pretty decent, it's like an extended Black Mirror episode and has the advantage that each individual episode is only about 25 minutes long so it flies by and the plot has moved on at a cracking pace.

Paul Rudd is always watchable and Aisling Bea is good as his wife, although having gigged with her several times it's slightly distracting to see someone I vaguely know alongside a big American star.

Comment

I don't know if this is airing outside North America, but Letterkenny is definitely an update of Seinfeld's show about nothing. The general plotlines seem to repeat but I laugh out loud a lot
                        Oh you'll find there are a few of us Letterkenny fans round these parts. Pitter patter.

Comment

I'm loving The Good Fight. It has so much going for it, the liberal anti-Trump bias is just a small part. So much better than The Good Wife (which I quite liked at the time).

Comment

This.

Comment

I realise that we mostly talk about dramas on here but I'm really enjoying Cornwall: This Fishing Life. It's pretty much what it says on the tin but decent people doing an interesting job in a beautiful setting with a little bit of politics, economics, housing policy and environmental issues is a winner for me.

Comment

I watched The Two Popes last night. It was fine - the performances were great, but I didn't really learn much or get much out of it.

Comment

Just finished Collateral, a 4 part by-the-numbers London police procedural. Every character is the exact same brusque, officious, no-nonsense cardboard figure that appears in all of these sorts of things. If it weren't for Carey Mulligan, who I have a soft spot for, it wouldn't really have been worth it. Billie Piper is in it, and she's usually much more interesting, too.

Comment

Caught about 20 minutes of this the other day and sat there transfixed, hope to make time to watch more of it at some point.

I spent a couple of weeks travelling around New Zealand back in 2002 so it's almost like watching a home movie of my holiday.
                                    All aboard for an epic overland journey, by train, boat and car, across New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      I'm loving The Good Fight. It has so much going for it, the liberal anti-Trump bias is just a small part. So much better than The Good Wife (which I quite liked at the time).
                                      I'm waiting avidly for the new season. I read somewhere it was being picked up by one of the networks. I hope that's not true as it'll suffer the limitations of The Good Wife. They should leave it on cable where it belongs.

Comment

Was just going to mention that TG. We made it from Auckland to Franz Josef on our trip. Looking to head back soon to do the rest of the south island.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                          We started watching Living With Myself last night, Netflix's comedy/drama starring Paul Rudd. So far, three episodes in, it's pretty decent, it's like an extended Black Mirror episode and has the advantage that each individual episode is only about 25 minutes long so it flies by and the plot has moved on at a cracking pace.

Paul Rudd is always watchable and Aisling Bea is good as his wife, although having gigged with her several times it's slightly distracting to see someone I vaguely know alongside a big American star.

As I mentioned, I sorta know a guy who is in that series.

Comment

Series 2 of Sex Education off to a strong start (one episode for us).

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Oh you'll find there are a few of us Letterkenny fans round these parts. Pitter patter.
                                              I don't think I'm spoiling anything by adding these two comments. First, it's hilarious that a show that's supposed to be about "country bumpkins" has rapid-fire dialogue that seems straight out of a 1940s film (definitely something that was not a feature in Seinfeld episodes about nothing). Second, as someone who has no interest in fighting, I do love that about every other episode includes some kind of brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                                Was just going to mention that TG. We made it from Auckland to Franz Josef on our trip. Looking to head back soon to do the rest of the south island.
                                                I did more of the South Island than the North but I'd absolutely love to go back and do it all again plus more of the North Island. I did a fair bit of travelling in my 20s and I think New Zealand is probably my favourite country I went to.

Comment

Started Sex Education finally and, as it coincided with a stinking cold, stayed in bed to watch Dix pour cent (Call my Agent) too.

Would never have guessed Maeve was a French actor, to nearly bring the two together

Comment

I know all you Amazon or Netflix people watched it months ago but Good Omens is on the BBC now. Well the first two episodes have aired it's like proper TV. I can't say I'm in love with it. They've assembled an amazing cast but I don't think Neil Gaiman is a very good screenwriter. I don't deny that he's an amazing writer and an excellent storyteller but not a screenwriter.

I think that Anathema Device is too pretty, and wasn't given much to do in her episode. There wasn't enough Agnes Nutter. David Tennant's serpent eyes are too distracting.

Also Jack Fucking Whitehall.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X