Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    The new Ken Loach film reminded be why I don't like watching ken Loach films, certainly since Laverty became the scriptwriter. Harrowing... etc etc.... savage indictment of the gig economy... but also pantomime villain roles, other key roles painfully amateurish in the acting.....

at least Jimmy McGovern stuff can be somewhat entertaining and well acted as it hits you across the head with The Message.

Just seen it and, I have to admit, that there are elements that I agree with you on even though I thought the film was very good on the whole. What I always find about Loach's films are that, due to the actors and methods he uses, the acting is often below par. The main character and the daughter (along with the police man - who is a real policeman) were very good, I thought. The wife, son and boss (who, I assume, is the pantomime villain you are referring to) were pretty terrible. Having said that, Loach's films seem to transcend these failings in a way that good actors in badly written and directed films can't. I was genuinely brought to tears by many scenes - one being where the son was asking after his father's well-being and saying he was only next door even though it wasn't greatly acted and even that believable.

I think they tend to be in the category of "going for something ambitious and failing" which is better than "playing safe".

Comment

Anyone watching Pose? It's as good (and as political) as anything on at the moment, I reckon

Comment

Who's showing it?

Comment

BBC, so you can catch up on the iPlayer in the UK.

Comment

Ah right. We don't have that but I can keep an eye out.

Comment

Can't be bothered starting a new topic, but I saw Le Mans '66 (or Ford v Ferrari, if you're in the States) yesterday after a lot of debate whether to watch it or not. The 150 minutes running time had put me off, and the trailer didn't set my pulse going, but largely enjoyed the spectacle. Was worried Christian Bale's accent might grate, but it fortunately did not and the racing scenes are very well done. Didn't check my watch once, so thumbs up from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                I just watched "The Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists" with the kids. Why is this known as "The Pirates! Band of Misfits!" in the States? Would people not let their kids go and see a film if they thought it had scientists in?!?
                Exactly that. I know a guy who worked on the film and he ranted at length about how they had to rebrand because Americans are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Exactly that. I know a guy who worked on the film and he ranted at length about how they had to rebrand because Americans are morons.
                  I think I saw that in an otherwise empty screening. Rather enjoyed it at the time, particularly with the use of Tenpole Tudor. I read that they had planned on a sequel but that Sony weren't keen. Idiots. Bit here about the re-naming https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...kipedia.org%2F

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Is that the old "Madness of King George III" canard?

Comment

Can I just say fuck The Crown and all who sail in it...?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Is that the old "Madness of King George III" canard?
                        No it was a real thing. Because there are so many lunatic hardcore Christians who are afraid of science as the enemy, the studio in charge of the US release made them change the film title of Pirates: An Adventure with Scientists to Pirates: Band of Misfits.

Comment

Did they have research to back that up or did they just assume?

Comment

It seems to have had the Misfits title in Australia and New Zealand as well

Comment

I suppose "misfits" sounds more entertaining for kids - scientist makes it sound like schoolwork - but then I'm not sure if most kids know what a "misfit" is.

Comment

Did they have research to back that up or did they just assume?
                                I don't know.

Comment

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Nobody's Looking on Netflix. It's a (dubbed) Brazilian comedy about a brand new guardian angel who asks too many questions and messes things up. It's quite humorous and seems to be asking the same sort of questions that The Good Place was looking at in the first couple of seasons.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone's watching the BBC's adaptation of The War Of The Worlds, are they?

Comment

My parents are, apparently. Not got round to it myself.

Comment

I recorded the first episode, was away for the weekend so missed the second one, haven't watched it yet.

Comment

I've been watching it, mostly to spot which bits of Formby are being blown up by Martians.

Comment

Is it any good? Got bad reviews, from what I could tell.

I'm carrying on with His Dark Materials. It was dragging a bit, but we've finally got to see the armored polar bears and Lin-Manuel Miranda flying airships, so it's picking up a bit.

I'm hoping I can convince my parents to go with me to see the Mr. Rogers movie while they're visiting me over the holiday. Then I'm really looking forward to Knives Out this weekend.

Comment

I watched the first episode of His Dark Materials and it didn’t grab me. I’ll probably pick it up again at a later stage as comfy filler.

Watchmen, however, is brilliant. Best show in my eyes for quite a while.

Comment

Yes, Watchmen is fantastic. I recommend the youtubes where the guy explains all of the Easter Eggs. It's possible to understand the show without knowing the original comic (or, like me, not remembering it very well because I read it 30 years ago), but it's even better if you catch some of those connections.

I think HDM would work better as a binge show rather than a weekly.

Comment

Is it any good? Got bad reviews, from what I could tell.

It's....odd.

***SPOILERS***

I've been waiting for years for a film or TV adaptation of the book that was faithful to it and this seemed like it. Only they've moved it from the late-Victorian era to the mid-Edwardian one, seemingly to shoehorn in the Russo-Japanese War and the Dogger Bank Incident. Not a biggie, but mildly annoying.

And they've decided to make the main protagonists a couple living in sin *gasp* but, again, for no obvious reason. Eleanor Tomlinson is OK but Rafe Spall is just a bit irritating. Nice to see Robert Carlyle in a minor role, though so strongly is he Francis Begbie in my mind, that whenever I see him in anything I'm always waiting for him to call someone a cunt and then nut them. If he does it to one of the Martians I'll be applauding, mind.

The special effects are a bit meh, though the tripods are good.

The really aggravating thing, though, is that a parallel future/imagined future is being intermittently introduced, again for no obvious purpose other than to shake up the narrative a bit.

Actually, the really, really aggravating thing is that to recreate 1905 West Surrey they've gone to Cheshire and Merseyside. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 27-11-2019, 12:43.

Comment

Yes, Watchmen is fantastic. I recommend the youtubes where the guy explains all of the Easter Eggs. It's possible to understand the show without knowing the original comic (or, like me, not remembering it very well because I read it 30 years ago), but it's even better if you catch some of those connections.

I think HDM would work better as a binge show rather than a weekly.
                                                    Sounds good, I’ll definitely check those YT clips. Similarly I enjoy reading episode reviews where they point out the nuances I inevitably miss.

I wish I could binge watch this show!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X