No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Once Upon A Time in Hollywood was typically QT. Overlong, in need of edit, and a lot of boring bits. Not been a fan of his recent output, but at least I can re-watch Inglorious Basterds and Django for the two to three great scenes. Can't honestly say i'd re-watch Once Upon A Time if I saw that it was on TV. One scene with any tension, Margot Robbie terribly underused and some really misjudged scenes.

Comment

Over the holidays, the kids went to stay with my sister-in-law for three days. While we mostly used the time to do an insane amount of DIY (chose, ordered and assembled a bunk bed, turned an old cot into a desk), we did take a little time to watch the second season of Fleabag and half of the Antman film. It's amazing how much you can get done in 72 hours when you're used to having two kids constantly badgering you and injuring themselves, and then suddenly they're not there.

Comment

I’d love to see the “before” :“ after” cot to desk transformation.

Meanwhile,we finished Big Little Lies Series 2 and weren’’t disappointed. Now well into S2 of Derry Girls which is just lovely.

Comment

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by the Dora film too.

Comment

Apparently it has some of the same creative team as the initial Muppet move reboot, so the quality is perhaps a little less surprising.

My girls were in to Dora the first time around but at 17 and 15 now I think I'd be struggling to get them along to see the movie, even with the fresh approach to it.

Comment

Yeah it's a film largely about teenagers but for pre-teens, which is why our seven-year-old got into it

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Netflix have (probably) tampered with the seasons again. Series 3 is quite short, 8 episodes I think (?) And ends smack in the middle of the action. So a quasi-series 4 is clearly happening at some point. Series 3 is OK, a bit more of an OTT plot and acting than the first two, but necessary viewing as it has the same cast as the first series, including some who died! I think I'm in love with 'Nairobi.'
                Re: Casa de papel/Money Heist
                I am near the end of S1, Netflix-wise and am intrigued/perplexed at the idea it can be spun out much longer, to 2 further seasons. But I’m along for the ride- watching it in Spanish with Spanish subtitles
                Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 11-09-2019, 07:08.

Comment

I think I'm having a TV slump. Shows I love have become a chore and it's happened across so many I think it has to be me rather than them.
                  I'm struggling to finish the latest series of:-
                  Preacher
                  Legion
                  Santa Clarita Diet
                  The Good Place
                  Jack Ryan
                  American Gods
                  I mean, I've got nothing but time at the moment, but I just can't be bothered. And I've plenty of others on my watch list I can't be arsed to even start. How weird.
                  Last edited by hobbes; 11-09-2019, 07:58.

Comment

I'm with you. I think that once the novelty wears off - and I'm going to call that three seasons - I tend to feel like 'Well, where's this going? Just 'more of the same'?'
                    We're finishing up S3 of Animal Kingdom, which is weirdly addictive yet incredibly pointless. And frankly, I'm probably done with it although there's an S4 kicking around.

Comment

On a brighter note, we watched the first episode of the new Catch-22 which was really enjoyable. They’ve made some changes from the original rather than just doing a straight reworking, but very much kept the spirit of the book and original movie. The balance between humour, the terror of the aircrews’ experiences, the matter-of-factness of the horror juxtaposed and the absurd mundanity of life at the base is well managed. Cast excellent, and George Clooney in fine form. He may be starting to play George Clooney now, but he’s very entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        I'm with you. I think that once the novelty wears off - and I'm going to call that three seasons - I tend to feel like 'Well, where's this going? Just 'more of the same'?'
                        We're finishing up S3 of Animal Kingdom, which is weirdly addictive yet incredibly pointless. And frankly, I'm probably done with it although there's an S4 kicking around.
                        Basically I agree. However S4 just concluded on Bravo (in Canada) and it's conclusion shakes the tree quite a bit. Consequently S5 will be different, how much remains to be seen.
                        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 12-09-2019, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          On a brighter note, we watched the first episode of the new Catch-22 which was really enjoyable. They’ve made some changes from the original rather than just doing a straight reworking, but very much kept the spirit of the book and original movie. The balance between humour, the terror of the aircrews’ experiences, the matter-of-factness of the horror juxtaposed and the absurd mundanity of life at the base is well managed. Cast excellent, and George Clooney in fine form. He may be starting to play George Clooney now, but he’s very entertaining.
                          I really liked it. I've never finished the book, so at least now I can say I kinda know what happens in it.

Joseph Heller briefly lived here and taught at Penn State. I think he worked on Catch-22 here, so it has some minor local significance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Basically I agree. However S4 just concluded on Bravo (in Canada) and it's conclusion shakes the tree quite a bit. Consequently S5 will be different, how much remains to be seen.
                            If they're really willing to shake things up - like killing main characters and such - show can run forever and still be compelling. It's when each season looks too much like the last that you think 'okay, they're either out of ideas or don't have nerve'. We'll stick with it, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                              I think I'm having a TV slump. Shows I love have become a chore and it's happened across so many I think it has to be me rather than them.
                              I'm struggling to finish the latest series of:-
                              Preacher
                              Legion
                              Santa Clarita Diet
                              The Good Place
                              Jack Ryan
                              American Gods
                              I mean, I've got nothing but time at the moment, but I just can't be bothered. And I've plenty of others on my watch list I can't be arsed to even start. How weird.
                              The only one there that I can definitely recommend sticking with is The Good Place. The fourth and final season is coming soon so you know that you're not getting into something that is going to drag on.

I gave up on Preacher pretty quickly. Just seemed like it was weird and provocative for its own sake. Legion was kind of the the same way. It just got confusing and I stopped caring.

SCD was funny for a while, but then dragged. It ended a bit prematurely so there wasn't really a "pay off" so the last season felt like a waste.

American Gods was meh, in my opinion.

Jack Ryan was ok for that kind of thing. Not so right-wing as I might have thought and I like all the main actors. Season 2 is about the Russians selling arms to Venezuela, supposedly, so I'm a bit skeptical. Thankfully, Tom Clancy is dead so his dick-swinging, ultra-nationalist bullshit won't necessarily make it into the show. They're just using the brand.

I watched the latest season of Westworld (2 or 3, I forget, but I've seen them all) and I'm still not sure its actually any good. A lot of it is just making puzzles for the sake of it and it's not clear that it really "matters." But then I saw the preview for the next Season which is set, at least partly, in Los Angeles of the future, so that made me interested and I felt like I needed to catch up so I can watch that. It may also be a big disappointment. After all, we already have Blade Runner and a BR sequel plus all of the Battlestar Galactica series. Do we need another story about how robots will eventually have "souls" and asking "what makes a human human?" That is an important question, but we've got several generations of sci-fi about that, plus millennia of religion and philosophy. It's not profound to ask that question any more.

Comment

I watched the first two episodes of The Good Place and thought it was awful. Does it suddenly get better or is it just that I don't like it?

Comment

There's something to be gained from watching a whole series. A lot of the depth comes from the way it's structured. Two episodes won't reveal much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    I watched the latest season of Westworld (2 or 3, I forget, but I've seen them all) and I'm still not sure its actually any good. A lot of it is just making puzzles for the sake of it and it's not clear that it really "matters."
                                    Hahah...every word. I've never been so bored. I'm not sure what's happening or what the big story is. And every mind-fuck - oop...he's a robot....oop....she's a robot....oop....robot there, too - starts to wear thin fast. I just gave up.

Comment

FWIW, I'm watching Legion season 3 on a tip that it recovers from season 2's low-stakes-weirdness-for-weirdness's-sake. It definitely does, although it's still not a patch on Season 1.

Comment

I've been watching a bunch of Very Rich Person TV.

Succession, which I've mentioned elsewhere, is the best of the bunch. I'm a big fan because it's incredibly funny and well written. And, despite all the characters being fundamentally rotten people, I find myself rooting for most of them, at least some of the time (perhaps not Roman or Connor who are wonderful people to hate).

Yellowstone, which aspires to be Succession, but seems to have traded Succession's humour for Sons of Anarchy's violence and grounding in reality. Kevin Costner's fine in it, and the scenery is stunning, but it's just increasingly silly.

Billions, which I've finally started on, is quite engaging and has a great cast (Paul Giamatti, Malin Akerman, Maggie Siff, Damien Lewis). Just finished Season One which almost ruined itself with a spectacularly cliched and cheesy last 5 minutes. I'm hoping this is an aberration, because the rest of it is very good.

And Black Monday, of which I've so far only watched two episodes. The first episode seemed utterly brilliant and hilarious, and I can watch Don Cheadle in almost anything. The second one seemed very flat in comparison, like the writers used all their material in the opener.

Comment

I’ve seen all of Billions but might not continue. I heard an interview with the creators. They seem to genuinely worship billionaires. Fuck that. That’s colored my thinking on the whole thing.

Succession is better but I hate everyone on it (the characters, not the actors) so that’s making it a tough go. It does have some funny bits but a lot of those are cringe-funny which is not at all my favorite kind of funny.

Comment

On Becoming God in Florida is the best new series I've seen so far this year. It manages to balance being funny and very sad without tripping over itself. It's certainly one of the better dramas built around America's self-actualization industry that TV has produced.

Comment

I’d like to see that but don’t have access to it. It’s on Hulu, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Hahah...every word. I've never been so bored. I'm not sure what's happening or what the big story is. And every mind-fuck - oop...he's a robot....oop....she's a robot....oop....robot there, too - starts to wear thin fast. I just gave up.
                                                This. Westworld is a typical Nolan brothers mindfuck that thinks it's way more important and better than it actually is.

The second season was especially ludicrous and made no real sense once you got past the tricksy timelines and ridiculous robot reveals.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  I’d like to see that but don’t have access to it. It’s on Hulu, right?
                                                  HBO

Comment

Really? I have HBO right now and didn't see it on the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X