Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Do these films dwell on the Edo period being unspeakably awful, without even the hope of having your misery cut short by a bloody civil war?
    Shockingly no (with the exception of Kurosawa)

Comment

They're being made for the Gammons born in the 20 years after the war, and the gammons in training.
      Today we Gammons rarely, if ever, go to the movies. The recent WW2 themed theatrical releases, like Dunkirk tend to be pitched at generations younger than us. The late forties to early sixties WW2 productions (Reach for the Sky, The Dambusters, Bridge over the River Kwai etc.) validated our parents' wartime experiences, as they were the last demographic who routinely attended the local cinema once or twice a week. By the time we were driving the industry (mid-60s - 70s), WW2 had been largely ditched. At the local flicks It was all nuclear wasteland and 'Nam. So I disagree, while people my age may regurgitate the myths, few of us are interested in reviewing either them, or that war's realities. As kids we got the former from comics and TV, and subjective versions of the latter from our relatives.
      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 19-07-2019, 23:23.

Comment

Family Men over 50 are the main demographic for those terrible Liam Neeson Saves his Nubile Young Daughter/Family in Peril vehicles recently. Mibees they also drag themselves to the pictures for war movies.

Comment

Not enough of them to make them worth producing. Men over 45 constitute a massive 7% of the UK cinema going audience
          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 19-07-2019, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Today we Gammons rarely, if ever, go to the movies. The recent WW2 themed theatrical releases, like Dunkirk tend to be pitched at generations younger than us. The late forties to early sixties WW2 productions (Reach for the Sky, The Dambusters, Bridge over the River Kwai etc.) validated our parents' wartime experiences, as they were the last demographic who routinely attended the local cinema once or twice a week. By the time we were driving the industry (mid-60s - 70s), WW2 had been largely ditched. At the local flicks It was all nuclear wasteland and 'Nam. So I disagree, while people my age may regurgitate the myths, few of us are interested in reviewing either them, or that war's realities. As kids we got the former from comics and TV, and subjective versions of the latter from our relatives.
            Ah now, That quoted sentence doesn't say that everyone born in the 20 years after the war is a gammon, and the second clause implies that it is a state of mind. I take your point about the cinema. And aside from a recent flurry there was a notable drop off as the UK film industry shrank. But there's There's a hell of a lot of this stuff on UK TV, and satellite though. With careful recording of shows that clash, you can spend all your waking hours watching tv programmes about world war II on sky. I came in the other day to catch my dad taking a break from watching a long stream of UK crime dramas (and modern family) to take in 633 squadron.

Comment

What’s a Gammon?

Comment

A ham steak = A pink faced Englishman of a certain age

Comment

Ah now, That quoted sentence doesn't say that everyone born in the 20 years after the war is a gammon, and the second clause implies that it is a state of mind.
                  I know, I was just trying it on for size. Based on a few people I know who definitely fit the bill.

Comment

I think you're being very unfair on yourself as a gammon, Amor. Gammons are more specifically reactionary flabby faced and very red faced Englishmen, of the kind who've spent too much time in clubby bars, and who wobble their jowls while complaining about foreigners and regulations while looking like they're seconds from keeling over with a heart attack. They have dominated the vox-populi side of media coverage of Brexit, always in the audience at news shows, always being the ones chosen (and willing) to talk to our broadcast media, never shy with an ill-thought-through opinion. Just because you're of a similar age to British gammons, does not mean you are one.

Comment

Yeah, yeah.I know I'm not "that guy," but I thought I'd assume the persona for the sake of making a point. I am of the same generation, and I do have long-standing acquaintances, not friends, who fit the criteria (though maybe not as specifically as you describe it.) I know them well, and I knew them even better fifty years ago. The path most of them followed was predictable then, though a couple are a surprise. With one exception, on the infrequent occasions I see them a lot is left unsaid. But I know them, and what made them who they are, all too well.

Thing is calling someone a gammon is assigning them a pejorative collective noun, something most of us rightly despise on here when it's based on race, gender, or age. Superficially (and all PCNs are superfical) I tick all the boxes for gammon, so occasionally I may as well play the part too.
                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-07-2019, 14:57.

Comment

I assume this one has been discussed upthread, but Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories is really, really good. It's on Netflix in the US. The gist of the story is that a guy owns a small restaurant in Tokyo that is open from midnight until 7am. There are about 5-6 regulars that appears in the episodes and then some new folks about whom the story tends to focus. It's not a fast moving show but a really thoughtful comedic drama. As I understand it, what is on Netflix is from Season 4 in Japan and listed as Season 1 here, which is a shame. It would have been nice if they would have added all 4 seasons. Also, the first episode is good but not as good as others so my recommendation is to at least do the first two.

Comment

This season of Legion is so good. Unfortunately for TonTon, it's still kinda trippy and hard to follow in places, but that's what I love most about it. Also, whoever was in charge of the music deserves an award.

Comment

YES!!

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1152705146494885894

Comment

Not until December though. <sigh>

Comment

Sweet.

I just watched State of the Union, a series of short episodes written by Nick Hornby about a married couple in in counseling played by a Chris O’Dowd and Rosamund Pike. All of the episodes are just the conversations they have in a pub before they meet their counselor across the street. We never see the counselor or their sessions.

The pub looks like a great place for a quiet mid afternoon chat. It’s somewhere in West London but I don’t know the name.

Comment

The season finale of Big Little Lies was pretty darned satisfying, but I hope there's a third season.

Comment

I am quite possibly the last person in the first world to have started watching The Handmaid's Tale. What's scary (and I know this is hardly an original thought) is that we are so close to that world being reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                      I am quite possibly the last person in the first world to have started watching The Handmaid's Tale. What's scary (and I know this is hardly an original thought) is that we are so close to that world being reality.
                                      I read the book ages ago, so I have no desire to see it acted out on screen for that very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        Sweet.

I just watched State of the Union, a series of short episodes written by Nick Hornby about a married couple in in counseling played by a Chris O’Dowd and Rosamund Pike. All of the episodes are just the conversations they have in a pub before they meet their counselor across the street. We never see the counselor or their sessions.

The pub looks like a great place for a quiet mid afternoon chat. It’s somewhere in West London but I don’t know the name.
                                        It's in Notting Hill or thereabouts, apparently.

Comment

FF I can understand that (well I can't really, but you know what I mean).

Comment

I enjoyed Season 2 of Big Little Lies. I didn't see the 'great big mess' that everyone seems to be writing about. No S3, thanks.

Comment

I’m up to date (UK s3 e7) with The Handmaid’s Tale. I’m sticking with it because it’s beautifully filmed and well acted, and the easily-imaginable dystopian nightmare that is Gilead is gruesomely fascinating. But lord knows how long they are thinking of stringing out the slowwww plot or whatever further implausible major character flip-flopping they are planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

I read the book ages ago, so I have no desire to see it acted out on screen for that very reason.
                                                Ditto this. The book was enough.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                  I’m up to date (UK s3 e7) with The Handmaid’s Tale. I’m sticking with it because it’s beautifully filmed and well acted, and the easily-imaginable dystopian nightmare that is Gilead is gruesomely fascinating. But lord knows how long they are thinking of stringing out the slowwww plot or whatever further implausible major character flip-flopping they are planning.
                                                  Yep.

[SPOILER]
                                                  At the start of this season it seemed to be going in an interesting direction with the Martha resistance network and June potentially becoming a major figure in some sort of underground network plotting against Gilead but ever since the third episode the whole thing just seems to have entered some sort of plot holding pattern where nothing really happens, we just see most of the main characters veer from good to evil and vice versa whilst we see even more examples of how shit everything is, as if we didn't already know. I, like Slackster, am sticking with it because it's so well filmed and I've already invested a lot into it but, seriously, the story needs to get a bloody move on and actually do something otherwise it's going to go from "must watch TV" to "possibly something to have on in the background when I'm doing some ironing".: Show
                                                  At the start of this season it seemed to be going in an interesting direction with the Martha resistance network and June potentially becoming a major figure in some sort of underground network plotting against Gilead but ever since the third episode the whole thing just seems to have entered some sort of plot holding pattern where nothing really happens, we just see most of the main characters veer from good to evil and vice versa whilst we see even more examples of how shit everything is, as if we didn't already know.

I, like Slackster, am sticking with it because it's so well filmed and I've already invested a lot into it but, seriously, the story needs to get a bloody move on and actually do something otherwise it's going to go from "must watch TV" to "possibly something to have on in the background when I'm doing some ironing".
                                                  [/SPOILER]

Comment

Just watched the fourth episode of Good Omens. A very faithful rendition so far of one of my favourite Terry Pratchett books. I always wondered when I was younger why they couldn't successfully translate Pratchett books to the screen. I think they just didn't have the budget or the technology.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X