Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
    The Dutch hate the Portuguese national football team,
    Really? Is this one of those silent smouldering hatreds, because I can't think of any examples, oh no wait. It's coming back to me now.

Isn't the dutch army almost completely integrated with the German one?

Is dutch closer to German than english, or are the differences so big that it's hard to compare?
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 16-07-2019, 22:22.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Really? Is this one of those silent smouldering hatreds, because I can't think of any examples, oh no wait. It's coming back to me now.

Is dutch closer to German than english, or are the differences so big that it's hard to compare?
      Army? What are you talking about? If any foreign threat reaches the Dutch border, and the Germans can't keep them out (through whatever NATO requirements we have to each other), we're toast anyway.

In terms of language, Dutch steals about equally many words and constructions from English, German, and French. The only exception is in mathematical terms, where Simon Stevin had a strong opinion. As a consequence, Dutch is the only language where the word for mathematics does not have a Greek background.

German has different word declinations depending on its function in the sentence. Dutch doesn't do that. The two languages aren't that far apart, but they aren't that similar either.

Comment

BTW I'm currently watching this. It's an account of the voyage of the Russian Second pacific fleet from st Petersburg right up to the battle of Tsushima. This may be one of the best things on Youtube. The attack on the hull trawler fleet isn't the weirdest part of this mega disaster. Wait until they get to madagascar. it gets freaky in madagascar.

Comment

Dutch is closer to English (or indeed The "Low German" of Treibeis's manor) than Standard High German. The great consonant shift in standard German never occurred in English/Frisian/Dutch/Minigolfian etc.

Comment

I watched Point Break (1991) again. Ridiculous but very entertaining.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wouter D;n2176337]But if they ask whether I want sugar or milk in my coffee, I'm toast.[/QUOTE/]

This sentence made my head spin a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Dutch is closer to English (or indeed The "Low German" of Treibeis's manor) than Standard High German. The great consonant shift in standard German never occurred in English/Frisian/Dutch/Minigolfian etc.
                I remember seeing Eddie Izzard trying to buy a cow in friesland using middle english (I think) . The Farmer understood him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  But if they ask whether I want sugar or milk in my coffee, I'm toast.
                  This sentence made my head spin a bit.
                  Thank you! I do have a way with words, but the way might be wonky.

Comment

I remember seeing Eddie Izzard trying to buy a cow in friesland using middle english (I think) . The Farmer understood him.
                    This understanding may have less to do with the language being spoken and more with getting paid.

Comment

The farmer was speaking some form of frisian. It must have been earlier than middle english as the aim was to demonstrate one of the older and very obvious linguistic links between English and other languages.

Comment

Thank you! I do have a way with words, but the way might be wonky.
                        It wasn't wonky, just that melding of breakfast-y foodstuffs.

Comment

Elementary is back for a final season on Sky Witness. The characters have decamped to London. Lucy Liu is blonde. Tamsin Greig is in it now. The first episode was about an acid attack which was pretty horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            I've caught up to the most recent episode of Big Little Lies season 2, and for the first time in a long time I'm enjoying something with Meryl Streep in. After all these years, who'd have thought that playing a super-plain mumsy character who's basically evil would be what she should have been doing her whole life.
                            Yeah, thirded here. It's amazing when you're watching and thinking 'you're going to get an Emmy for this...' . This season is super sleepy but really good.

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but if you like westerns Godless is meandering, violent (sometimes sexually) sometimes confusing but bloody good.

Comment

Starting from the beginning with Speechless. Interesting premise. Daft characterisation though. Minnie Driver is both brilliant and infuriating as an actress.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Elementary is back for a final season on Sky Witness. The characters have decamped to London. Lucy Liu is blonde. Tamsin Greig is in it now. The first episode was about an acid attack which was pretty horrible.
                                  yikes, though that's not exactly new territory for them, Stuart Townsend coming to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                    Not sure if it's been mentioned here but if you like westerns Godless is meandering, violent (sometimes sexually) sometimes confusing but bloody good.
                                    That is really good. A few years old now, but I think its still on Netflix.

The "old west" era lasted only about 50 years, at most, but Hollywood has been making movies about it for more than 100 years and probably won't stop. I don't know if there's any other historical time and place that has yielded so much fiction.

Comment

The Japanese have a similar industry centred on the Edo Period, which at least lasted a couple of centuries, and the Chinese are rapidly developing a counterpart focused on the 19th and early 20th century.

There appears to be widespread appeal for costume dramas with easily understandable "lessons".

Comment

I found it very confusing to read Killers of The Flower Moon because it's about rural / small town Oklahoma in the 1920s. One page would read like a cowboys / Indians / horses / western story, and then suddenly someone drives up in a Buick. It's very disorienting.

Comment

That's true, and westerns and samurai movies have influenced each other.

Comment

Indeed, including out and out remakes

And as with Westerns, there are schools with very different foci and approaches.

WOM, Grann would say that that disorientation was one of the principal messages of his book.

Comment

WW2 films are pretty numerous, it'll be interesting to see how long they continue to be made after the last people who can remember it are gone .

Comment

the Chinese are rapidly developing a counterpart focused on the 19th and early 20th century.
                                                Wikipedia lists 123 movies about Wong Fei-hung alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  The Japanese have a similar industry centred on the Edo Period, which at least lasted a couple of centuries, and the Chinese are rapidly developing a counterpart focused on the 19th and early 20th century.

There appears to be widespread appeal for costume dramas with easily understandable "lessons".
                                                  Do these films dwell on the Edo period being essentially what would happen if you applied the social structure of an ant colony to humans, and amped up the brutality.
                                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-07-2019, 22:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That is really good. A few years old now, but I think its still on Netflix.

The "old west" era lasted only about 50 years, at most, but Hollywood has been making movies about it for more than 100 years and probably won't stop. I don't know if there's any other historical time and place that has yielded so much fiction.
                                                    Well world war II only went on for six years, but that hasn't stopped the UK film and tv industry....

WW2 films are pretty numerous, it'll be interesting to see how long they continue to be made after the last people who can remember it are gone .

hah, missed this first time around. These films aren't being made for those people though. My dad was born in six weeks into the war and his only wartime memory involves hearing US bombers flying above the clouds over mayo, on their way to the UK. Though that surely can't be true because we were so scrupulously neutral. So he's basically among the youngest people to have any kind of memory at all of the war, and he's not going to the cinema any time soon. They're being made for the Gammons born in the 20 years after the war, and the gammons in training. That churchill movie in particular is supposed to be laughable, though I suspect I won't be watching it any time soon. I did like the kings speech though, it works a lot better if you think of it as being a live action shrek movie, with Colin Firth as shrek, and geoffrey rush as Donkey.
                                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-07-2019, 22:36.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X