No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love Portugal bravely resisting the dubbing that surrounds it.

Belgium, as usual, is its own category.

Comment

I once saw a film in Brussels that had four sets of subtitles. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
        In Australia The Dark is dubbed.
        It's not on Netflix?

Comment

Portugal has a very high number of people who claim to have some facility in a second language. English and French being the two most popular. It seems that while they can understand spanish, very few claim to speak it. I suspect the actual number is higher. Is Bobby Pires the most famous french portuguese person?

Comment

Griezmann's mother is Portuguese.

There are a couple of dozen professional footballers who have some family connection to the Portuguese guest workers in France in the 60s-80s. There is even a club that has reached the third tier called Lusitanos.

Kevin Gameiro is another prominent example.
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-07-2019, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
              It's not on Netflix?
              Yes, that's the Netflix version. Dubbed.

Comment

You know you can choose the audio, right?

Comment

Well, I'll give it another crack, but I haven't had to change the settings on any other normally sub-titled show.

Comment

I've yet to encounter a foreign language show/film where you couldn't choose the original audio and English subtitles (and there's often several options). I once had an issue with Battle Royale where I could only choose the original audio without subtitles, but that's about it, and it resolved itself after a while anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.
                      Am racing through this on catch up. It's very good. Good writing, good acting, very funny. It has led me to Toast of London which is also excellent. I was vaguely aware of it when it came out in 2014 (I think) but never bothered with it. A bit surreal at times but I quite like that.

Comment

I could do without the musical interludes but other than that Toast is great.

Comment

Dumb question, but does Russia produce any TV series worth watching? If so, any on Netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Dumb question, but does Russia produce any TV series worth watching? If so, any on Netflix?
                            There's a series based around the early days of of the revolution from a couple of years back (I can't remember the name, but I mentioned it somewhere way back on this thread.) It was soapy but gorgeous to look at. There's also The Last Czar up recently, but I've no idea whether it's produced in Russia or not or whether it's any good.
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 13-07-2019, 16:06. Reason: wrong series title

Comment

Made it to the end of The Americans without it being spoiled!

Comment

I watched Meth Storm last night, HBO's account of the drugs crisis in rural Arkansas.

The misery of some people's lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                  Made it to the end of The Americans without it being spoiled!
                                  Satisfied? I really liked it.

Comment

I've caught up to the most recent episode of Big Little Lies season 2, and for the first time in a long time I'm enjoying something with Meryl Streep in. After all these years, who'd have thought that playing a super-plain mumsy character who's basically evil would be what she should have been doing her whole life.

Comment

Yeah. She's stone brilliant. Scary as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                        Portugal has a very high number of people who claim to have some facility in a second language. English and French being the two most popular. It seems that while they can understand spanish, very few claim to speak it. I suspect the actual number is higher. Is Bobby Pires the most famous french portuguese person?
                                        In Portuguese speaking countries, the utterly terrible singer, Tony Carreira would undoubtedly be the most famous Luso-Francais:

There are loads of footballers, Petit is the one that immediately springs to mind. Fabio Coentrao's family moved to France but left him in an orphanage when he was a young child.

Comment

Oh, and subtitles in Portugal. It's commonly assumed amongst Portuguese people that the reason even an old granny in backwater rural Portugal can communicate a bit in English is due to all English speaking programs having subtitles rather than dubbing. They're quite proud of it, especially given the difficulties Spanish people have with second languages in comparison with the Portuguese.

Comment

I was slapped down in Lisbon for attempting Portuguese with Spanish words mixed in where I didn't know the Portuguese, and answered in English from folk in their twenties to sixties. Can't think of anywhere in Spain twenty years ago where sixty year olds could have said fuck all in English.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                              Oh, and subtitles in Portugal. It's commonly assumed amongst Portuguese people that the reason even an old granny in backwater rural Portugal can communicate a bit in English is due to all English speaking programs having subtitles rather than dubbing. They're quite proud of it, especially given the difficulties Spanish people have with second languages in comparison with the Portuguese.
                                              Fair enough. This is a justified source of pride. Go Portugal!

Comment

Portugal is England's oldest, and possibly only ally.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

Fair enough. This is a justified source of pride. Go Portugal!
                                                  I am shocked to hear such sentiments from a Dutchman. BTW How many languages do you speak? It's got to be at least three.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    I am shocked to hear such sentiments from a Dutchman. BTW How many languages do you speak? It's got to be at least three.
                                                    It's three. Dutch, English, and German.

If I find myself in a French shop, I can make my order sound French. Deux croissants et un café, s'il vous plaît! But if they ask whether I want sugar or milk in my coffee, I'm toast. So my passive knowledge might span four languages, but my active knowledge spans three.

In many respects, Portugal is to Spain as the Netherlands is to Germany. The Dutch hate the Portuguese national football team, but beyond sports, we see the parallels.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X