Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot GY.

Comment

GY what a lifesaver - just found Line of Duty season 5 is available on Foxtel. See you in a few days.

Comment

The telly in the pub has got something called "Fake Britain" which has just finished.

Would I be wrong in thinking these kvetching arseholes bought this shite they're moaning about on line, rather than from a shop with a supply chain which can get subject to due diligence?

If so, fuck 'em.

Not such a smart arse fucking bargain putting your friends and neighbours out of work by not buying local, are you?

Comment

Just been watching / listening to Katherine Ryan's Glitter Room while doing housework (my cleaner cancelled today, if I don't do something I'm in danger of losing one of the children under a pile of washing. This actually happened to my friend's little brother when we were kids and I live in fear of repeating it). Makes it a bit more bearable. I need to get hold of some day wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            The telly in the pub has got something called "Fake Britain" which has just finished.

Would I be wrong in thinking these kvetching arseholes bought this shite they're moaning about on line, rather than from a shop with a supply chain which can get subject to due diligence?

If so, fuck 'em.

Not such a smart arse fucking bargain putting your friends and neighbours out of work by not buying local, are you?

You'd better have been drinking a locally-brewed ale and be an Amazon virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
              Just been watching / listening to Katherine Ryan's Glitter Room while doing housework (my cleaner cancelled today, if I don't do something I'm in danger of losing one of the children under a pile of washing. This actually happened to my friend's little brother when we were kids and I live in fear of repeating it). Makes it a bit more bearable. I need to get hold of some day wine.
              That’s the best special of hers that I’ve seen. (I think I’ve seen three).

Comment

We took the suggestion upthread and are just done S2 of Call My Agent, the French show. It's a lot of fun. I don't mind subtitles, and Mmme Frenchy-French can listen and knit, so it's a win all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That’s the best special of hers that I’ve seen. (I think I’ve seen three).
                  I enjoyed that when it was on. Ryan does so many panel shows and other side jobs here that it can rather obscure her own work.

Comment

Her career path is interesting.

Comment

Right, enough of all your sophisticated dramas. Who watches Gogglebox or, at the moment Celebrity Gogglebox? Tonight's highlight was Chris Eubank cracking up at the climax of Titanic but there's been much to enjoy about the recent shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        Her career path is interesting.
                        Snake I think has some interesting opinions on her career path and ubiquity on UK panel shows.

Comment

So Dark, S2, then: like other(s) I fled back to S1 and enjoyed refreshing my ‘who was she again?’ memories.

MIBBES SPOILERS

But while I loved the sudden flit to 1953 towards S1’s end, I can’t be too bothered with 1921 in this one (so far) and 17? (18?)- year old Jonas’’ ability to switch everything on at the AKV with one glance at a blueprint stretched credulity even in a series with time travel etc

I’ will no doubt persevere but not a great start
                          Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 10-07-2019, 05:02.

Comment

Dark looks like too much effort to me.

Comment

It's a bit overwhelming at first, but then it all comes together. Then it gets overwhelming again.

Comment

I can do something in German if it's easy to follow what's going on. And I can do something that's difficult to follow if it's in English. But both factors combined, I don't know.

Comment

I think the fact it's in German makes it easier to follow, as you're forced to give it your full attention.

Comment

I struggle with German because I have to read the subtitles but I know enough German that my brain tries to understand it, but can't, really. So I get a headache sometimes. But I did watch Deutschland 1983 and 1986 and How to Sell Drugs Online. And Babylon Berlin, of course.

I've been trying to do the Rosetta Stone app to see if that can help me get better, but it feels really hopeless. So many words and idioms. I'm just dumb when it comes to language, I guess. That and my school system's whole modern languages set-up was really piss poor in the 80s. We couldn't start taking a foreign language until 7th grade and the teachers in the high school were really bad. And I picked German which is hard to learn because there are so few native German speakers around to practice with. If I'd done Spanish, I could have practiced by watching Univision and Telemundo and by visiting any major, and quite a few minor, cities in the US.
                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-07-2019, 16:52.

Comment

We've no problem with it (La Sig loves it.) I'm just a bit concerned we'll all end up pissed off and lost, like... well Lost.

Comment

Maybe it's just that my inferiority complex is triggered by anything in German, French, or Spanish. Or math.

If it were in Danish - a language that nobody outside Denmark could ever be expected to understand - I wouldn't feel so stupid. I liked that one Danish show about teachers.

Comment

In Australia The Dark is dubbed. I cannot watch dubbed shows, the lip movements don't match the words and drive me to distraction. I'd rather read sub-titles.

Comment

I won’t put up with dubbing either.

Comment

Dubbing is very 20th Century isn't it?

Comment

Yes, I haven't watched anything that was dubbed in decades. I'm surprised it's still done, especially as an increasing number of shows are multilingual.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                                  In Australia The Dark is dubbed. I cannot watch dubbed shows, the lip movements don't match the words and drive me to distraction. I'd rather read sub-titles.
                                                  When it was 1st recommended to me by a student I played it on the default, dubbed setting and found the American actors’ voices for the teen characters annoying

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X