No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished all the Shetland that's on Netflix (which is 3 seasons). I'm in love with it now.

Just two episodes into S2 of Good Girls. It's funny-ish, but not great. I have no idea what the raison d'etre is. S2 seems like just more of S1. I'm not sure that's enough.

All caught up on Billions and one episode behind on Big Little Lies.

Reed's right about Billions. The long expository soliloquies are painful, but a big part of the show. That, and the fact that everyone knows everything about everything that everyone else knows.

Ex: "You remember the story of how Degas bribed the the hooker?"

"So she'd steal the canvas from the priest and he'd replicate the shroud of Turin?"

"And he's sell the forgery to pay the Pope's debt?"

"And free his sister from the mafia who enslaved her?"

"Right."

"That's what we're going to do to Taylor Mason."

"Gotcha."

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Ta Sean. We’re a bit lazy with subtitled stuff I’m slightly ashamed to admit. I think it’s because we are both doing stuff while watching TV: me on the iPad and Mrs. S knitting. So a lot of TV consumption is listening. Not that we don’t watch the visuals, but there’s a lot of looking up and looking down. You can’t do subtitles that way.
      Same for me. I find myself having to rewind so many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Yes! You must watch it.
        I am, and it's brilliant.

Comment

I finished season 1 of Big Little Lies. I'll start season 2 tonight, maybe.

Originally posted by RobW View Post

I am, and it's brilliant.
          Yay! It's one of those rare shows where the second series is as good as or better than the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
            I thought I still remembered most of the threads in Dark before starting season 2. I did not.
            Just finished watching season 2. I won't say anything, other than if you (general 'you' there, not specifically you GY) found season 1 a bit hard to follow at times, hold on to your hats because this one is exponentially more so.
            Last edited by Fussbudget; 23-06-2019, 23:36.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              Just two episodes into S2 of Good Girls. It's funny-ish, but not great. I have no idea what the raison d'etre is. S2 seems like just more of S1. I'm not sure that's enough.
              Okay, after a day full of episodes, it's turned for the better and got darker and more interesting. Not just 'more of the same'.

Comment

I think Billions should end with the next season and that it should end with both major protagonists dead and/or in jail next to each other.

Taylor is not really a "good" person, but they haven't really done anything illegal that I can recall or anything especially unethical. They just don't seem to have a soul.

Has Malin Ackerman just been written off the show? The whole subplot with Bobby's divorce and/or reconciliation and his strained relationship with his kids just got dropped for the second half of the last season. That was odd.

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Reed's right about Billions. The long expository soliloquies are painful, but a big part of the show. That, and the fact that everyone knows everything about everything that everyone else knows.

Ex: "You remember the story of how Degas bribed the the hooker?"

"So she'd steal the canvas from the priest and he'd replicate the shroud of Turin?"

"And he's sell the forgery to pay the Pope's debt?"

"And free his sister from the mafia who enslaved her?"

"Right."

"That's what we're going to do to Taylor Mason."

"Gotcha."
                I think there were a few instances where somebody didn't get a reference, and then a big deal was made out of them not getting it because they were too old or too young or too square.

It's a staple of films or TV about con-artists - which is really what all the major characters on Billions are - that con-artists always know all the stories about other great cons. And then they share a shorthand of nicknames for all of these "plays." That was in Oceans 11."Off the top of my head, I'd say you're looking at a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

That also comes up a few times on Sneaky Pete (which has a season 2 now and I recommend it).

The Simpsons had that episode where Bart and Homer were working on a teen-lit book, and they turned it into a caper.

Bart: Whatever the job is, I'm not interested.
                Homer: A million bucks has changed stupider minds than yours.
                Bart: I like the beat. Play me the tune.
                Homer: We're taking down kids who read.
                Bart: Chapter-book crowd? That's a juicy peach, but what's the cream?
                Homer: I'm putting together a tween-lit gang-write?
                Bart:Tween-lit gang-write?
                Homer:Tween-lit gang-write, but this Babar needs a Zephir.
                Bart: A Zephir?
                Homer: You're the Zephir.
                Bart: This better not turn out like Kansas City.
                Homer:It won't be like Kansas City.
                Bart: I'm in.

And then in the end...

Homer: So does this square us for Kansas City?
                Bart: Square as Golden Books, pop.

Of course, they never explain what happened in Kansas City.
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-06-2019, 03:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                  Just finished watching season 2. I won't say anything, other than if you (general 'you' there, not specifically you GY) found season 1 a bit hard to follow at times, hold on to your hats because this one is exponentially more so.
                  I was pretty much on top of it by the end of season 1, I'd just forgotten most of it. I have to say, episode 2 was a lot easier to follow, probably because it mainly focused on Jonas and the Tiedemanns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Not seen it myself, but if you are looking for something on Netflix then I can recommend Black Spot (Zone Blanche), a French crime/mystery drama set in a small forest town.
                    Give a try to a French-Belgian series called "The Break", set in a small town in the woods...S1 is really good, S2 went into a slightly strange direction but remained pretty good.

Comment

I Am Mother (netflix) was a thoughtful and sinister (wo)man v machine post-apocalypse movie, covering some 1.01 ethics. The titular robot is a cross between HAL and Terminator, and better for laying off too much cgi.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Give a try to a French-Belgian series called "The Break", set in a small town in the woods...S1 is really good, S2 went into a slightly strange direction but remained pretty good.
                        We watched that, it was rather good. Probably the most un-physically attractive cast I've seen in some time, very non-Hollywood.

Dribbling on with Jessica Jones, it's the only one of Marvel's productions we watch now, but it's becoming a bit stale. I find myself wondering whether Jessica looks more like Joey Ramone than Alice Cooper.

Comment

AdC, not to worry, I believe that was the last Jessica Jones series. Possibly the last of that lot, unless there's another Daredevil in the works (I think it's unlikely).

eta: Nope on Daredevil. JJ was the last one to be canceled. RIP
                          Last edited by Femme Folle; 24-06-2019, 17:24.

Comment

We've seen series 1 of The Break and enjoyed it. Like Amor we noted the physical averageness of the cast. The lead Yoann Blanc would never have been cast in the UK or USA, he'd have had to have been as buff as a middleweight boxer to be considered.

Comment

S2 of 'The Break' went into some weird paranormal stuff...The theme about the cast un-Hollywood looks carries on, quite a few of the new main characters are in fact outright ugly.

Another Belgian series worth watching is 'The 13 commendments' btw

Comment

Marvel could revive their Netflix series on the new Disney+ platform, but I don't think they will. They've kinda run their course anyway.

I'd like to see them try to work Daredevil and Black Cat into the Spider-Verse or the bigger MCU, but I don't know if they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  Marvel could revive their Netflix series on the new Disney+ platform, but I don't think they will. They've kinda run their course anyway.

I'd like to see them try to work Daredevil and Black Cat into the Spider-Verse or the bigger MCU, but I don't know if they will.
                                  They won't be able to revive them right away--those four characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luck Cage and Iron Fist) cannot appear in any non-Netflix series or films for two years after their cancellation on Netflix, according to the deal with Marvel.

Comment

FYI, Legion Season 3 has started tonight. I had forgotten, but my DVR didn't. Bless it.

Comment

I wouldn’t think they’d want to revive them soon anyway. They’ve got so many other new things and Avengers spin-offs to launch first.

I gave up on Legion midway through season 2. It just got too confusing.

Comment

I can't count the number of these Marvel / comic book shows I start in on, hoping it'll be something really amazing. They tend to degenerate into the same old tropes pretty quickly. Much as I liked Umbrella Academy, it was more of the same.

Comment

I've stopped watching them entirely, not that I was ever particularly into them. I think I made it four episodes into Daredevil and two into Jessica Jones. Legion was the only exception, and I don't think I'll bother with season 3.

Edit: Is The Tick Marvel? I watched that all the way through.

Comment

The Tick is not Marvel. It started as a mascot for New England Comics' (a retail chain) newsletter.
                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(comics)

Comment

I'm enjoying (most of the time) Easy on Netflix. Still on series one but. The Orlando Bloom episode was unbearable though (we thought the actor was a low rent Orlando Bloom-alike rather than the real deal he was that shite and smug an actor: and neither of us have a high opinion of Bloom as an Actor).
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-06-2019, 18:05.

Comment

Mumblecore seems to work better as vignettes on telly than as a film genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  The Tick is not Marvel. It started as a mascot for New England Comics' (a retail chain) newsletter.
                                                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(comics)
                                                  The live action Tick with the big guy from shitey US sitcoms (How I met Your Mother?, think he was the voice of wheelchair neighbor in Family Guy) was enjoyable almost twenty years back, at least at 2am and baked.

Comment

I do have a bit of a pash for the Jessica Jones actor. Not enough to actually watch the show but, couldn't work out what the fuck was going on when my flatmate had it on (I stopped reading comics mostly by 92 and was never a Marvel kid anyway).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X