No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Robertson who is Perez's second sidekick is actually a Shetlander. Not at all menacing, as opposed to his terrifying appearance as the ***old Luther spoiler*** psychotic twins in Luther.

Comment

Watched the first episode of Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a disgraced top American cop who takes a job as Chief Constable in East Lincolnshire.

It was OK. I suspect its going to have the fairly obvious redemptive story arc, and his relationship with his daughter will be healed and he will find emotional healing and acceptance as well. But ignoring all that guff, I think it's the first time East Lincolnshire has been the setting for prime time drama and it actually feel like it addresses the issues faced by the area without proposing an easy resolution like 'if we could all understand that we are the same underneath we could all get along'. That side of things is interesting. Rob Lowe, not so much.

Also Rob Lowe doesn't act so much as spit out lines in a deadpan way. Doesn't matter if he's doing comedy or drama, his delivery is the same note every time.

Comment

Finished Line of Duty series 5. Possibly the best so far, with series 4 the weakest (but they are all very high quality).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Watched the first episode of Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a disgraced top American cop who takes a job as Chief Constable in East Lincolnshire.

It was OK. I suspect its going to have the fairly obvious redemptive story arc, and his relationship with his daughter will be healed and he will find emotional healing and acceptance as well. But ignoring all that guff, I think it's the first time East Lincolnshire has been the setting for prime time drama and it actually feel like it addresses the issues faced by the area without proposing an easy resolution like 'if we could all understand that we are the same underneath we could all get along'. That side of things is interesting. Rob Lowe, not so much.

Also Rob Lowe doesn't act so much as spit out lines in a deadpan way. Doesn't matter if he's doing comedy or drama, his delivery is the same note every time.
          According to some comments i've seen online, there were too many Yorkshire accents. I heard that there was a reference to the Mighty Imps of Lincoln, but I can't be arsed watching to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

According to some comments i've seen online, there were too many Yorkshire accents. I heard that there was a reference to the Mighty Imps of Lincoln, but I can't be arsed watching to find out.
            There was something like "It's like Lionel Messi signed for the Imps"

Which I thought was weird as it's set in Boston. When Boston United played Shrewsbury the fans had a big banner saying Pride of Bostonshire.

But then maybe the character was from near Lincoln. It wasn't clear.

Comment

Finished Killing Eve last night. Enjoyed the series, even if it's not quite up the standard of the first one. They've already commissioned a third, but no idea whether PWB is returning as show runner, or writing for any of them. Jodie Comer is absolutely brilliant though, but wish there was more of Adrian Scarborough.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

There was something like "It's like Lionel Messi signed for the Imps"

Which I thought was weird as it's set in Boston. When Boston United played Shrewsbury the fans had a big banner saying Pride of Bostonshire.

But then maybe the character was from near Lincoln. It wasn't clear.
                I think I saw a Lincoln City car sticker in the trailer.

Comment

Recent watching:

Game of Thrones: finished
                  Back to Life: BBC iPlayer, finished
                  Ghosts: BBC iPlayer, finished
                  Schitt's Creek: Netflix, one season left

I don't get much spare time to watch TV so when I do I tend to watch a series rather than terrestrial TV (the only thing we watch on terrestrial TV occasionally is Taskmaster or Would I Lie To You?)

Based on the above, any recommendations for a new series when I run out of Schitt's Creek episodes?

Otherwise, I do watch way too much kid's TV. Mostly an endless loop of paw patrol, PJ masks, team umizoomi, hey duggee, Hilda, Dora the explorer, Steven's universe, and Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.

Comment

If you like Canadiana, Corner Gas is lovely. Quirky and well written. And, of course, goes without saying....Letterkenny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Steven Robertson who is Perez's second sidekick is actually a Shetlander. Not at all menacing, as opposed to his terrifying appearance as the ***old Luther spoiler*** psychotic twins in Luther.
                      His acting seems a bit hammy, whereas the lead is excellent (making their scenes together a bit awkward, exposing Robertson's limitations).

Comment

INSPECTOR MONTALBANO IS BACK ON BBC4.

Ahem.

Comment

Season 3 of Jessica Jones is on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

His acting seems a bit hammy, whereas the lead is excellent (making their scenes together a bit awkward, exposing Robertson's limitations).
                            Fair comment but he was perfect for the role in Luther. And his accent is great.

Comment

Catching up in Billions.

Comment

Series 4 has been good, but not up to S1-3 standard. This isn't because of a drop in standards but due to ***SPOILER BELOW***. The Wendy character is for me has become the strongest, even ignoring the fact that Maggie Siff is now my principal TV crush.

The changed dynamic of Rhoades and Axe being on the same side. Fortunately this appears to get reset at the end of the series.

Comment

Just got to the end of Series 2 (and the last one available, I think series 3 is out this year) of Bordertown. Really excellent show, I highly recommend it. I find the cases that involve the Russians a bit less interesting, but then again based on this series alone small town Lappeenranta already has more murders than Midsomer, so I guess the proximity of St Petersburg has to give them some licence to branch out a bit. Anyway, Bordertown, Netflix, watch it.

Comment

Finished with Billions, a bit too neat an ending I have to say but enjoyable series nonetheless and it looks like the scene is set for the resumption of the primal battle...

Persevered through "What if", don't do the same mistake.

One series I started watching as background noice and quickly caught my attention has been "Mindhunter"...it is actually excellent!

Comment

Whisky Galore! was on yesterday lunchtime on BBC2.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        ... even ignoring the fact that Maggie Siff is now my principal TV crush.
                                        Euch. Even Taylor has more appeal. That aside, Wendy and Chuck are the least believable 'couple' on a TV show. What she's doing with that schlemiel is beyond me.

But yeah, really enjoyed this season. Totally a guilty pleasure, though. I recognize how utterly OTT it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Just got to the end of Series 2 (and the last one available, I think series 3 is out this year) of Bordertown. Really excellent show, I highly recommend it. I find the cases that involve the Russians a bit less interesting, but then again based on this series alone small town Lappeenranta already has more murders than Midsomer, so I guess the proximity of St Petersburg has to give them some licence to branch out a bit. Anyway, Bordertown, Netflix, watch it.
                                          OK, I find Russians quite interesting and St P is a favourite place, so will give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Whisky Galore! was on yesterday lunchtime on BBC2.
                                            There seems to be a glut of Ealing on iPlayer at the moment

The Lavender Hill Mob
                                            Lucky Jim (is that Ealing?)
                                            The Man in the White Suit
                                            School for Scoundrels
                                            Titfield Thunderbolt

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              Lucky Jim (is that Ealing?)
                                              No, Boulting Bros at Elstree IIRC.

Comment

I started Fleabag last night. Why didn't anyone tell me how good it is? (I'm kidding, it's all people were talking about at one point--I'm just the opposite of an early adopter).

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Euch. Even Taylor has more appeal. That aside, Wendy and Chuck are the least believable 'couple' on a TV show. What she's doing with that schlemiel is beyond me.

But yeah, really enjoyed this season. Totally a guilty pleasure, though. I recognize how utterly OTT it is.
                                                  Yeah, it loves that trope of some powerful guy trying to intimidate somebody by beginning a
                                                  conversation with a long-winded monologue about something unrelated like The Beatles or breeding horses. Of course, the ne plus ultra of that is in The Untouchables where Deniro/Capone talks about baseball before murdering a dude with a baseball bat.

I suspect that a lot of hedge fund people are sociopaths or, at least, not the sort of people I’d trust, but I doubt many of them do clever monologues.

It all reminds me of that Twilight Zone where the dead gangster thinks he’s in heaven because everything goes his way - like he’s playing pool and sinks every ball off the break - and then he discovers ***spoiler*** that he’s in hell.

There’s that great scene where that one guy who is closing is fund let’s Axe convince him that the $40m he’s left with isn’t going to be “enough” for him.

If I was making that kind of money those guys make, I’d have retired at 35 at the latest. But I get the impression that not many people in that line of work do that, which suggests that it’s all a very seductive golden trap and/or the kind of people who’d love to quit at 35 and do pro bono social work are not the kind of people who succeed in that line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                    I started Fleabag last night. Why didn't anyone tell me how good it is? (I'm kidding, it's all people were talking about at one point--I'm just the opposite of an early adopter).
                                                    It is great. But it’s painful.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X