No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Baby Driver last night - I really enjoyed it, once you get past Kevin Spacey having such a prominent role in it.

The soundtrack is fantastic as well.

It doesn't make you think - but it helped me get through the ironing.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
      I watched Baby Driver last night - I really enjoyed it, once you get past Kevin Spacey having such a prominent role in it.

The soundtrack is fantastic as well.

It doesn't make you think - but it helped me get through the ironing.
      I re-watched it after seeing it at the cinema and had to re-evaluate it. On second viewing it's middling at best. Edgar Wright can direct, but he can't write. The dialogue between Baby and Debra (or is it Deborah?) is particularly weak and she isn't developed as a character at all.

Comment

I enjoyed it as a romp more than anything else. As I said, it didn't make me think at all, but the premise was good and the soundtrack was easily the best thing about it.

Comment

I just watched the last episode of Chernobyl, which was terrific. We got flashbacks to before the accident happened, giving us the political context, and such a clear scientific explanation of how a nuclear reactor works and what went wrong on this occasion that even a dummy like me could understand it. At the end we saw genuine archive footage of the main characters involved, which is always tremendously satisfying at the end of a docudrama, and further information about their fates.

I don't watch much drama, and only really watched this because it was based on real events, but if you haven't watched it I really would recommend it. Given the suffering involved it's a hard watch at times but there's some terrific performances and it's a testimony to human courage and resilience.

Comment

Finished Good Omens. Not perfect, but as good as it could possibly be. Sheen and Tennant are one of the best double acts in years, with excellent supporting turns from Jon Hamm, Ned Dennehy and Miranda Richardson.. One of those rare occasions where they've changed the ending around in a pretty spectacular way but managed to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
              I enjoyed it as a romp more than anything else. As I said, it didn't make me think at all, but the premise was good and the soundtrack was easily the best thing about it.
              Bellbottoms! bellbottoms!

i didn't mind Shaun of the Dead but didn't love it like I was supposed to. I'm allergic to Hot Fuzz and by Paul I was wishing bad things upon Simon Pegg (not helped by his wack ass turn in Star Trek). So yeah, Edgar Wright needs a firm hand, at least he's no longer writing Pegg Bromance vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                I just watched the last episode of Chernobyl, which was terrific. We got flashbacks to before the accident happened, giving us the political context, and such a clear scientific explanation of how a nuclear reactor works and what went wrong on this occasion that even a dummy like me could understand it. At the end we saw genuine archive footage of the main characters involved, which is always tremendously satisfying at the end of a docudrama, and further information about their fates.

I don't watch much drama, and only really watched this because it was based on real events, but if you haven't watched it I really would recommend it. Given the suffering involved it's a hard watch at times but there's some terrific performances and it's a testimony to human courage and resilience.
                This. All of it, but especially the part I highlighted. I feel smarter for having watched it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                  Call My Agent...
                  Is really good. Watch it. On Netflix.

watched some Years and Years too. A bit of a mess but some really fantastic scenes. Emma Thompson is great. Jessica Hines too
                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 07-06-2019, 20:17.

Comment

I loved CMA, a bit frustrating that I couldn't catch their fast Parisian French, but it's great, and I especially like the guest performances.

Comment

I watched Always Be My Maybe. It was cute. I don't regret watching it.

Comment

So SBS are showing both 63 Up and re-runs of very early X-Files from Monday. Excellent news both.

Meanwhile we kicked off S3 of The Handmaid's Tale this week, first two episodes. Thought it really promising.

Comment

Latest series of Shetland was pretty good.

Comment

S6 of Endeavour has just started here, seems up to scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              I loved CMA, a bit frustrating that I couldn't catch their fast Parisian French, but it's great, and I especially like the guest performances.
                              Yes. Outstanding.

Comment

Watching How To Sell Drugs Online (Fast).
                                Auf Deutsch.
                                It’s very good. There’s nothing specifically German about the story. It’s about computer whiz kids who figure out how to deal molly online, but it’s also about the suffocating weight of social media on teenagers and also how young love makes young men do stupid things.

Comment

Call My Agent is so good- you're crazy if you're not watching it.

I've just been watching the one with isabelle Adjani.

Comment

Just been watching My Next Guest Needs No Introduction where David Letterman interviews famous people for around an hour. Seen the Ellen DeGeneres and Barack Obama episodes. Really interesting, amusing and Letterman is a fantastic interviewer.

Comment

Bah, I came home hoping to catch Gentleman Jack, and couldn't get iPlayer to work.

Comment

Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          Just been watching My Next Guest Needs No Introduction where David Letterman interviews famous people for around an hour. Seen the Ellen DeGeneres and Barack Obama episodes. Really interesting, amusing and Letterman is a fantastic interviewer.
                                          The Tina Fey one is really good. They talk about why Letterman's show was written almost 100% by white guys.
                                          I know I also liked the George Clooney one, but I can't recall exactly why. It's been a while.
                                          I recently saw the Lewis Hamilton one. I don't know much about him, but it was about him and his dad, mostly, with some discussion about F1 in general. Letterman is, of course, very into motorsports being from Indianapolis. They take a station wagon out for a spin on the track and blow out its brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.
                                            It was good, certainly room for improvement. Matt Berry could read the phone book (or whatever the equivalent is now) and i'd find it funny. I've caught up with What We Do In the Shadows now, and the cameos in episode 7(?) were nice touch.

Have got through 4 episodes of Killing Eve, series 2 now. Apparently some people moaned about the first episode, but I didn't mind it so much, and the standard is pretty high. Adrian Scarborough is a brilliant addition to the cast.

Oh, and watched O Lucky Man! last night, which was a delight, except for Arthur Lowe blacking up...eeesh.

Comment

A bit more eye witness testimony to throw into the Chernobyl mix: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48580177

Comment

This damp “summer” weather is forcing me to stream more box sets than I’d usually at this time of year. And there’s plenty of choice out there. I’m enjoying Killing Eve series 2 more than many others seem to be. Jodie Comer is just magnificently entertaining in it.

Years & Years (BBC) is a decent watch too. A typical Russell T Davies effort, with plenty of plausible near-future political & social disasters in it. Emma Thompson as the populist politician is very believable.

I’m surprised nobody else has commented on the excellent The Virtues. Maybe it isn’t yet available outside the UK (C4), but do catch it if you can: one of the best TV dramas you’ll see this year - a slow build personal trauma but plenty of humourous moments along the way too - with some superb acting.

Comment

I watched the Rolling Thunder Revue film last night on Netflix. Occasionally baffling mix of fact and fiction, and perhaps not enough performances for my liking, nor contemporary interviews with Mick Ronson. Pretty funny in places, especially the story that Dylan was inspired to wear face paint because Scarlet Rivera's bf was Paul Stanley of Kiss and she took Dylan to see them. Also neat was Sharon Stone's involvement. There's quite a bit to debunk. Originally I thought this was a straight forward documentary in the spirit of No Direction Home, but clearly not.

Comment

We're enjoying Shetland. It's fairly stock whodunnit stuff that's maybe a step below Broadchurch, but the scenery and exotic Scottish whatnot make it enjoyable for a couple of foreigners.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X