Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished Ozark on Sunday.

As said before, it's a strange series because there are no likeable characters but, in it's own way, that's what is so engrossing about it. I can't wait for series 3 later this year.

Comment

Finally caught up on the last of the Brokenwood Mysteries. Rural New Zealand drama at its, er, onlyness...

Comment

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl yesterday. It was bleak and harrowing viewing reminiscent of Threads. I'm totally hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Watched the first episode of Chernobyl yesterday. It was bleak and harrowing viewing reminiscent of Threads. I'm totally hooked.
          I'm giving that a miss. There's only so much bleak and harrowing I'm prepared to handle.

Comment

Here's a thing about Steel Panther; they're incredible musicians.

That said, I don't care if I never hear another note from them (and trust me when I tell you I've been fastidious in avoiding any exposure to them).

EDIT: Assume this is a massive indexing error as I definitely replied to a thread over in music, Anyway, I've copied this back to the relevant thread

As I'm here, I've been watching YouTube videos of people restoring antique mechanical items. So very, very soothing.
            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 08-05-2019, 21:48.

Comment

I watched an episode of Van Der Valk just now. It was from a series for which Euston Films took over the production reins and had some of the gritty, location filmed quality of lead stablemate The Sweeney.

Comment

Just heard about the new Catch-22 remake series starting next week. Despite my general misgivings about remakes, I am excited by the trailer.

Comment

The original is very flawed but Arkin was perfect. John Voight was just awful but. And the scene of the man flogging his horse in Rome had a Goya like beauty and horror.

Comment

Yes, indeed. The slow reveal over a number of slightly different time sequences of the airman with the abdominal injury, and what eventually happens, is one of the most powerful scenes in cinema for me.
                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 10-05-2019, 19:46.

Comment

New season of Sneaky Pete. I recommend it.

Comment

Not current watching, but future: <ahem> INSPECTOR MONTALBANO IS COMING BACK TO BBC4.

Comment

I've got to start watching Chernobyl this week. The Guardian review of it was hilariously awful. I've managed to catch up on Line of Duty and started on the latest series now.

Comment

I'm on ep 3 of The Widow, loving it on several levels. Gripping story and a chance to see locations we never see - Kinshasa and the Rwanda/Congolese border. And I can understand the French!

Solid actors, too.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                              I've got to start watching Chernobyl this week. The Guardian review of it was hilariously awful. I've managed to catch up on Line of Duty and started on the latest series now.
                              Bloody Hell, that review is appalling. (link here)
                              They might as well have asked Wayne Hennessey to review The World at War.

Comment

We’re watching Bodies on the BBC iplayer. Quite old now (noughties), but an early Jed Mercurio effort based in the gynie/labour ward of a hospital. Much less saccharine than the usual hospital drama - don’t know why we missed it when it came out. Very cynical about the management culture that captured the NHS.

Comment

Spending my rainy Sunday catching up on Happy! season 2. Grant Morrison is now at the top of my list of People I Would Like To Meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Bloody Hell, that review is appalling. (link here)
                                    They might as well have asked Wayne Hennessey to review The World at War.

It's not that bad. Three out of five stars. And most of the criticisms seem fair enough to me.

For a broader critical response Wiki has:

Chernobyl has received acclaim from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 95% approval rating with an average score of 8.87 out of 10, based on 41 reviews. The site's critical consensus reads, "Chernobyl rivets with a creeping dread that never dissipates, dramatizing a national tragedy with sterling craft and an intelligent dissection of institutional rot."[14]On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 83 out of 100, based on 25 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
                                    Much more important than that is the fact that my wife and I virtually never sit down and watch a TV drama together but we did so with this and, by God, we're going to see it through to the end and enjoy it!

Comment

Well, this has made my day

Comment

I’m watching Dead to Me on Netflix. It’s kinda cheesy, but Christina Applegate is good.

Wine Country was surprisingly good - Maya Rudolf, Amy Poehler, etc. It’s kinda making fun of middle-age people exactly like me, which I’m ok with.
                                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-05-2019, 21:09.

Comment

Ooh, we've been watching Dead to Me. It's quite silly.

Comment

I watched the first episode of Dead To Me and was quite entertained. It seemed fairly predictable but still fun.

Comment

I suspect you figured out how it ends, more or less.

Will Farrell and Adam McKay are producers. Will Farrell made that surprisingly non-ironic Lifetime Channel movie a while ago. I guess this is another attempt at that.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-05-2019, 22:09.

Comment

I’m watching Bathtubs Over Broadway, a doc about guys who collect old vinyl and video of highly produced musicals created by companies to inspire their own salesmen, distributors, dealers etc. The main guy is Steve Young, who was a lead writer for David Letterman for many years. Jello Biafra is also an aficionado of this stuff.

Comment

Yes, I heard him interviewed. I think it was on Alec Baldwin's podcast. It sounded really interesting.

Comment

It’s just remarkable how much money, effort, and talent went into that stuff. It’s a window into mid-century America. Businesses were rolling in money and they thought it would never end.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X