No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to see “Being Frank: the Chris Sievey story” last night. Frank Sidebottom creator and general eccentric. Lots of details and interesting comments from colleagues and collaborators and family. I’d avoided the Ronson/Fassbender film before but will watch it with interest now.
    I loved “Oink!” (80s comic) and think he was actually a really good illustrator/visual artist

Comment

Now seen the first three episodes of the new Twilight Zone. It’s not good. For one, they’re all an hour, which is about 30 minutes too long. The stories don’t seem to have anything interesting to say. Certainly, Black Mirror pisses on it from a great height.

The most recent one was about racist cops, but the characters were so wooden and obvious that it was tedious until the very end, by which point it was too late to do anything with that.

Maybe original wasn’t as good as I remember either, but I’ve watched a bunch of them recently and I think most of the early ones in particular - which were a half hour - still stand-up.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 14-04-2019, 21:21.

Comment

Agree completely. Whatever the 'conceit' is that makes it 'Twilight Zoney' lasts 30 minutes, not 60. I was nuts for the original series, and I had high hopes for this, but they're just too damned long. And 'yes' about Black Mirror.

Comment

we finished watching The Umbrella Academy last night and I really don't know whether it was worth the time.

Comment

It's a bit of fun, but it's certainly not 'must-see' or even wildly compelling. I'll certainly expect more from S2 now that all of the tedious 'origins/backstory' business has been dealt with.

Comment

About two years late to the party, but the assassination of Gianni Versace thing is somehow compelling and abstract in structure for exploitative trash, a cut above Dirty John, Unabomber/the awful OJ thing. The main actor is very good indeed.

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. I thought Penelope Cruz was very good as sis too. But she usually is.

Comment

I watched a bit of the series about Australia called, I think, the story of us.

Why hasnt a film been made about this chap?
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wills?wprov=sfti1

Seems like a star-making role.

Comment

I’m still very upset about the season finale of The Magicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      I’m still very upset about the season finale of The Magicians.
                      You're not alone. I saw a lot of tweets expressing the same sentiments. I don't fully understand why people are so upset--or why I'm not. Maybe watching Game of Thrones has desensitized me to the deaths of TV characters. The tweets also blamed Sera Gamble, and some mentioned something that happened on Supernatural that made them angry. I never watched that show, so I don't know what they are referring to.

Comment

The writers and Jason Ralph did a lot of interviews and explained it all very well. I’m not mad at the creators, I’m just sad to see him go. He was my favorite character.

The whole thing was just so beautiful and emotional. That scene also confirmed that Take On Me is a perfect song.

I also feel bad for the actors. From what I gather, they’re all pretty close, so losing one of their group will be tough. But it sounds like Jason Ralph has a life in New York that he wants to get back to.

I suspect next year will be the last. That’s ok.

Comment

I blubbed like a big baby during that scene. I feel sad too, but I guess I thought maybe we would see him again the same way Penny is dead but still part of the series, so it didn't feel final to me. OK, now I'm really sad about it.

Comment

He’ll probably make some more appearances, but will not be a series regular.

Q is the center of the books and was the main protagonist of the first season, but now it’s a complete ensemble. There’s a lot left to be resolved with the other characters.

Comment

Fantastic final of 'University Challenge' last night, someone on Twitter summed it up well by saying it was like last week's Man City v Spurs CL game.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Yeah, we're at episode 7 of Kominsky and I'm sad it's almost over. Really enjoying it.
                                Got to the end of this last night, taken a while. Glad to read they have confirmed a second season. Douglas is nearly 75 and Arkin 85, so there aren't many shows that would challenge it in terms of the combined age of its two main stars.

Comment

Jane Fonda (81) and Lily Tomlin (79) match that in Grace and Frankie.

Comment

This Australia show is making me really want to be Australian. It’s history mirrors the US’ except without the slavery. So like a hot Canada, I guess.

Comment

And an even more thorough genocide of the indigenous types.

Comment

The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is an oldish Aussie fillum worth a watch. Decent Thomas Keneally book as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          And an even more thorough genocide of the indigenous types.
                                          Yeah. Though I think indigenous Australians make up a bigger percent of the population than indigenous Americans do in the US. So, more like Canada in that respect too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is an oldish Aussie fillum worth a watch. Decent Thomas Keneally book as well.
                                            Yeah, it was one of the early Aussie-film successes of the seventies.

Comment

Those posts made me wonder so I've checked. Indigenous population as a percentage of total:

Mexico 21.5%
                                              New Zealand c.15%
                                              Canada 4.9%
                                              Australia 3.3%
                                              USA 1.6%

Comment

I’m watching Rollerball. The original 1975 one with James Caan. I’ve always wanted to see it and now it’s free on Prime. Definitely looks dated, but it’s well-made for what it is.

It seems weird that he was a massive star leading man. And it appears that he can’t really skate.

They didn’t or couldn’t make much effort to make it look like the future. Everything about it looks and sounds like 1975. Perhaps that was deliberate - more of an alternative present than vision of the future.

Comment

Like the first season of Space: 1999 where the moonbase uniforms featured (nylon) flares and stack heels. Fortunately they somehow got the in-base clothing and footwear teams busy in time for Season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                    I also watched the end of Turn Up Charlie starring Idris Elba - it was ok, quite funny at points, but not overly brilliant.
                                                    Idris, and the scenes with his family were great. But that wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the show which was just too annoying.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                    We've recently started Black Earth Rising which is decent if a bit harrowing. And of course anything with John Goodman in it etc.
                                                    Finished it last night - really recommended if tough watching at times. All of the cast excellent, and it certainly taught me a lot about Rwanda.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X