No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working my way through "Umbrella Academy". Absolutely predictable superhero stuff (I keep thinking they're going to throw a twist in, but... nope). Watchable fare.

Although I nearly threw the remote at the TV last night with their egregious use of Toploader's "Dancing in the Moonlight".

Also currently on day three of watching "Roma". I can only get through about 30 minutes at a time before losing interest. I think this might make me a bad person.
    Last edited by Crusoe; 21-02-2019, 08:19.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Umbrella Academy. Two thumbs up so far. One for GY, I'll bet.
      Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I read the first trade of the comic and it didn't really grab me so I don't have high hopes.

Comment

Watched through first episode of Umbrella Academy last night. Thought it was good and we want to watch more. I liked the way they used a They Might Be Giants song.

Comment

We finished it last night. Not usually my sort of thing, but we enjoyed it. It's flawed, but fun.

Comment

Had a bit of a film splurge this evening and watched Bridge of Spies and then Ex Machina. Most enjoyable, though I preferred the former.

Comment

We started Breaking Bad last week. Saul has just been introduced, and it's pretty clear why this character was chosen for a spin-off.

It's pleasant how, for a show with such dark subject matter, it still contains so much humour.

Comment

Damn, I envy you watching it for the first time. I'd love to lose that part of my memory just to watch it all over again. That and The Sopranos. And maybe The Shield.

Comment

Like seemingly everyone else on here we are currently halfway through Umbrella Academy and enjoying it as well. Watchmen for the millennial era is the best way I can describe it.

Comment

Also doing Night and Day on Walter Presents as per Slackster's recommendation. Good stuff, though I have come to the conclusion that the only entertainment available in Barcelona is football and fucking.

Comment

Have any of the Irish posters watched Rebellion? The second season has just appeared on Netflix several years after the first (making it difficult to remember the back-stories of several characters.) Anyhow we're quite enjoying it, as the birth of the Irish Free State doesn't get a lot of dramatic TV time here, and when it does tends to be larded with Paddywackery, Series two seems to be more interesting than the first, which dealt with the Easter Rebellion. Now we're in 1920 enjoying the lovable lads from black and tans, while deValera is raising money in the US and Michael Collins is bouncing from hidey hole to hidey hole. While Irish-centric, the series doesn't disguise the IRA's coercion of Irish civilians either. Sudsy, yes, but way better than bollocks like Victoria.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                        We started Breaking Bad last week. Saul has just been introduced, and it's pretty clear why this character was chosen for a spin-off.

It's pleasant how, for a show with such dark subject matter, it still contains so much humour.
                        We are planning on re-watching the series this summer.

Yesterday afternoon I was driving behind this vehicle:
                        Image result for breaking bad tour rv
                        They were going north on Eubank Blvd. and eventually turned left to visit the "neighborhood" of Walter White.
                        Last edited by Cal Alamein; 24-02-2019, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Have any of the Irish posters watched Rebellion? The second season has just appeared on Netflix several years after the first (making it difficult to remember the back-stories of several characters.) Anyhow we're quite enjoying it, as the birth of the Irish Free State doesn't get a lot of dramatic TV time here, and when it does tends to be larded with Paddywackery, Series two seems to be more interesting than the first, which dealt with the Easter Rebellion. Now we're in 1920 enjoying the lovable lads from black and tans, while deValera is raising money in the US and Michael Collins is bouncing from hidey hole to hidey hole. While Irish-centric, the series doesn't disguise the IRA's coercion of Irish civilians either. Sudsy, yes, but way better than bollocks like Victoria.
                          I didn't think Rebellion was great but the one you're watching now ,Resistance, is really top quality. The photographic archive in Dublin has an exhibition about the war of independence and you can spot who each character was in real life, especially the female characters.

Comment

SPOILERS; By the way, the English journalist was Del boys son Damien in the later only fools episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                              I didn't think Rebellion was great but the one you're watching now ,Resistance, is really top quality. The photographic archive in Dublin has an exhibition about the war of independence and you can spot who each character was in real life, especially the female characters.
                              Ah. Both are playing under the same title over here. I didn't realise most of the characters were direct portrayals.

Comment

Just finished watching the second series of 'Ozark" and enjoyed it not having the same reservations about it that others have had. Of course, it is silly but you have to have a healthy suspension of disbelief for many of these types of series. Martyn's lack of emotion and vapidity worked well as the rest of the characters were well-fleshed-out and interesting and, just at the moment that I was starting to tire on his emotionlessness (which was remarked upon regularly by Wendy) , his character changed somewhat for a plausible reason and he became more emotional, nicely swapping somewhat with Wendy.

Comment

It seems wrong to bring the levels down on this thread, but there's no other more suitable thread for it and I feel I need to share it. I saw ITV's new game show 'Small Fortune' at the weekend, in which a team of contestants is required to perform a series of tasks, all with minitaurised settings. I don't know if the games change each week but this week they included throwing a little paper aeroplane into a little hangar ('A Very Short Haul'), landing a tiddlywink between the legs of a little model Sphinx ('Tiddly Sphinx') and catching a tiny ball launched from a tiny replica of Centre Court ('Centre Caught'). There was also one where the contestant was blindfolded and had to walk his fingers along a miniature catwalk and stop on a determined point.

The eventual outcome was that for £110,000 a fella had to get a little hoop up a little pole (leave it) without touching the pole, a tiny version of the usual electric buzzer things, whatever they are called. He failed. The whole thing was absurd, and absolute trash. Yet strangely compelling.

Comment

So from next Monday 'Partridge', new 'Fleabag' and 'Last Week Tonight' will all air within a couple of hours. I can't remember an regular evening of such good TV in a long time.

Comment

Joining the herd, my daughter and I are watching Umbrella Academy. I happened to mention it after reading comments on here and she immediately went into emo-overdrive. Apparently the comic it's based on was written by the bloke out of My Chemical Romance.

Comment

Finally got around to watching "Happy."
                                        It's impressive how something so cartoonish and funny can be so utterly bleak at exactly the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Joining the herd, my daughter and I are watching Umbrella Academy. I happened to mention it after reading comments on here and she immediately went into emo-overdrive. Apparently the comic it's based on was written by the bloke out of My Chemical Romance.
                                          A one-off, fully advertorial edition of the NME was printed and distributed the other week to promote the show. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned the MCR connection.

Strong 10,000 word piece by Ian Penman considering the show through the prism of the Italian Futurist Manifesto. Or not.

Comment

Just watching an episode of Endeavour. The men look suitably weird, but if the female characters looked like this back in the 60's, they wouldn't be living in oxfordshire villages, they would be the most famous women in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                                              Working my way through "Umbrella Academy". Absolutely predictable superhero stuff (I keep thinking they're going to throw a twist in, but... nope). Watchable fare.

Although I nearly threw the remote at the TV last night with their egregious use of Toploader's "Dancing in the Moonlight".
                                              Just seen this episode the other night. I am of the opinion that nobody should be allowed to use this tune after it's appearance in "Four Lions".

Comment

Loving the vibe of The Kominsky Method. Defo my sensibility for drama / comedy.

Comment

3 episodes into Umbrella Academy and I feel like I have already worked it all out. Hope I'm wrong because otherwise the rest of it is just some kind of slow reveal

Comment

La Signora watched the whole thing, don't know the details but apparently the Orpheum Theatre here was destroyed in the final episode. I take this very personally.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X