No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of which, I've got a bit bored by Sopranos. In the middle of S3.

Comment

Don't disagree with any of that HP. Just saying that's why we haven't seen as many of them from the US in the past.

The only question is whether the current streaming production model is itself sustainable, or is going to be wiped out in a few years by fragmentation and more importantly a generation raised on Twitch and Youtube.

Comment

That's what they said about the generation raised on MTV and yet, here we are.

I don't know what, if anything, people will pay to see in theaters, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
          Bah. I got to the third episode of Killing Eve and discovered that only the first two were free. I'm not paying for it. It will eventually be on Netflix or Amazon Prime. What a despicable thing to do, to let someone watch enough to get hooked and then put up a paywall.
          It ran on BBC America two weekends back: all 6 (?) aired in a row from midnight to 6am. I think they might run again tonight or tomorrow if I was following BBC America's ads correctly. If you get this channel, you might set the DVR. BBC America has historically edited shows to fit in a 60 minute schedule (including commercials), which I find irritating. In this case, I was fine. The show was a little too wacky for me. I prefer my police dramas to be more drama than comedy. This seemed to want to be a drama but to couch weirdness in comedy.

I binge watched both seasons of Atypical on Netflix during the Christmas break. I can't say it will be a show I think about very often but it was a nice mix of comedy and drama. I assume it was discussed at some point upthread, but it's a story about a nuclear family: son has autism and the daughter is struggling with finding her place in the world (standard high school stuff but also trying to be her own person when she's required to watch out for her older brother). Each episode has a nice pace and the characters are well developed.

Comment

Coming to Killing Eve from Fleabag, my main complaint was it was too much drama and not enough comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
              As this appears to have turned into the Agatha Chrisite thread can I recommend this essay in the London Review of Books
              Thanks for this Nef, that was a very interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                It ran on BBC America two weekends back: all 6 (?) aired in a row from midnight to 6am. I think they might run again tonight or tomorrow if I was following BBC America's ads correctly. If you get this channel, you might set the DVR. BBC America has historically edited shows to fit in a 60 minute schedule (including commercials), which I find irritating. In this case, I was fine. The show was a little too wacky for me. I prefer my police dramas to be more drama than comedy. This seemed to want to be a drama but to couch weirdness in comedy.
                I checked--nothing but back to back Doctor Who. I'm all set though--I have a way to watch it now. Thanks.

Comment

@danielmak

I really liked Atypical and have said so upthread. There are so many bits that really stuck with me. The awful parent support group. The assumption that kids with autism will want to be friends with each other. The way parents focus on the kid with a medical condition.

Comment

I have a spoilery question about Bird Box for anyone who has seen it.

[spoiler]How are those birds not drowned, never mind that they aren't even wet, after going under water in those rapids? I don't mind suspending disbelief for a film, but that is asking a bit much, IMO. [/spoiler]

Comment

Watched German gritty crime thing Parfum/Perfume on Netflix. Which was very gripping and diverting Suskind referencing nonsense until last episode just became ridiculous and obviously leaving itself open for a sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Started 'The Man In The High Castle' last night. Not quite hooked yet. The dialogue is somewhat formulaic and there are some cliches such as the Japanese diplomat reading a page then removing his glasses to signify significance.

I'm also not sure (as per Episode 1) that Himmler and Goebbels would be the main contenders to replace Hitler. Goering was the official No. 2 in the Third Reich.
                        The conclusion of the second season was quite good, and in season three the pace increases, which is a good thing.

Comment

Re: Agatha Christie, I quite enjoyed the recent Crooked House film. I think it came out in 2017, but only caught it on Netflix a week or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                            I have a spoilery question about Bird Box for anyone who has seen it.

[spoiler]How are those birds not drowned, never mind that they aren't even wet, after going under water in those rapids? I don't mind suspending disbelief for a film, but that is asking a bit much, IMO. [/spoiler]
                            [spoiler] Ah, go on. That can't be the biggest WTF moment in that film. My answer is that the little girl got off light in the rapids; remember how she was standing on shore while SB had to pluck boy out of the water? Also, we never saw the dirtbag couple again after they stole the car. I assume they were killed shortly thereafter. [/spoiler]

In other questions, is anyone up-to-date on Ray Donovan, because I have something troubling me?

Comment

Yeah, but [spoiler]they were in a freaking cardboard box. There's no way they don't at least get a little wet. I think you're probably right about the dirtbag couple.[/spoiler]

I'm a season behind on Ray Donovan. I keep saying I'm going to catch up. One of these days...

Comment

[spoiler] It was very, very good cardboard. Like you get at those Japanese paper stores. [/spoiler]

Comment

Haha. OK, I'll buy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    Watched German gritty crime thing Parfum/Perfume on Netflix. Which was very gripping and diverting Suskind referencing nonsense until last episode just became ridiculous and obviously leaving itself open for a sequel.
                                    I started that and then realized I don’t need to see yet another series about murder and violent psychosis.

Comment

Luther frightened the life out of me last night. It's largely filmed around here. I was scared to open the front door for the cat and had to take a tablet for my racing heart.

It's witty and well-acted, and Idris is a dreamboat, but I don't like grisly.

Comment

I don't think we'll be following the rest of this run of Luther; it's a very strong cast but the serial killer stuff is tired and unpleasant at the same time. Also the lighting, or rather lack of, got a bit much with most of yesterday's episode taking place in near darkness.

The Revenant didn't really work as light relief afterwards, despite the stunning scenery.

Comment

The Haunting of Hill House.
                                          I give it a 9 out of ten for its portrait about the siblings.
                                          It's horror, but so much very good drama at the same time.
                                          So well told.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            @danielmak

I really liked Atypical and have said so upthread. There are so many bits that really stuck with me. The awful parent support group. The assumption that kids with autism will want to be friends with each other. The way parents focus on the kid with a medical condition.
                                            I agree that one of the interesting features of this show is the ways that it deals with the spectrum and the support that exists or doesn't exist for people. Similarly, I think that one of the strengths is the three-dimensional character development; we see how quickly things change for the central character based on seemingly reasonable or unreasonable encounters.

Comment

Roma (on Netflix) but will go to the cinema to see it again.

masterpiece.

Comment

Planning to watch it tonight.

Comment

I just watched Island of Dreams on BBC1. It was good ‘n’ surreal.

Comment

The Waco: Madman or Messiah? doc shown in two parts on BBC4 this week was both fascinating and sobering.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X