Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Watched the first two episodes. It's really good, much darker than your average Marvel fare.
    Hopefully that will shut the edgelords up, but no doubt they'll soon be crying again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Watched the first two episodes. It's really good, much darker than your average Marvel fare.
      It's supposed to be separate from the rest of the MCU but relies on previous Disney+ shows and the Netflix shows, so not separate at all.

I watched the first one. It's a bit of a mess. It felt very patched together out of different ideas and different opinions about how much backstories from the other shows to include.

I'm unclear who the roller rink guy is or her relationship to the other people in her home town.

But now, at least, going into the rest of the series, I think it's set-up ok as the classic "hero goes back to hometown and brings trouble with them" kind of story.

No doubt, it's being hate bombed for being too woke - indigenous, deaf, amputee, female. And it doesn't follow the comics, which a lot of people think are sacred. My understanding is that the comics character is indigenous, but not Choctaw, and her power is the ability to exactly imitate what she see's other people do - do martial arts, play piano, etc. But as far as I know, the character is not deaf or missing part of a leg.

That makes sense. Because if the comic character was indigenous, deaf and an amputee and they were trying to cast a good actor who fit that description, they would not have a lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

No doubt, it's being hate bombed for being too woke - indigenous, deaf, amputee, female. And it doesn't follow the comics, which a lot of people think are sacred. My understanding is that the comics character is indigenous, but not Choctaw, and her power is the ability to exactly imitate what she see's other people do - do martial arts, play piano, etc. But as far as I know, the character is not deaf or missing part of a leg.

That makes sense. Because if the comic character was indigenous, deaf and an amputee and they were trying to cast a good actor who fit that description, they would not have a lot of options.
        I believe that the character is deaf in the comics - I think the underlying conceit is that, because she can't hear, her visual focus is much greater, leading to her ability to imitate others actions.

I read somewhere that the comic version has incorporated imagery from various Native American traditions fairly haphazardly over its run. For the new programme, the maker she wanted to have consistent and made her Choctaw because several members of the production team are Choctaw, and so they are able to provide appropriate input.

Comment

The new season of Marvel's What If? has a brand new indigenous superhero, but she's Haudenosaunee so I don't know if the plan is for her to be tied into Echo. She's voiced by Devery Jacobs, who is also in Echo playing somebody else, so that would be unlikely, I guess.

Devery Jacobs is on a heater right now coming out of Reservation Dogs so I guess we'll just see her in a lot of things.

A number of other people in Reservation Dogs also appear in Echo. It seems like there are about 30 indigenous actors working regularly in North America and at least 10 of them will show up in any given show featuring indigenous characters. I guess they all probably know each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

This escalated quickly. I've watched it over the last two nights with my daughter, who declared some joint viewing time without any suggestions of what to watch, and then took a bit of convincing to commit to four hours of drama about post offices (despite all of the media coverage she hadn't heard of it), but she was so engaged in it that she was in tears more than once.

Given the extent to which it has successfully "cut through" there is little point in suggesting improvements, but personally I would have liked more understanding of what actually went wrong with the systems, as this isn't really explained (and maybe is not possible to explain easily), but I know it's not thrilling TV for most people and might have diluted the human drama which was obviously central to it.
            I'd recommend the Nick Wallis book on the PO scandal, for much greater detail about the software, the procurement and contract stuff. It's a good read.

It's been interesting seeing the inquiry resume today. Before Christmas I was being sent links on Twitter to long bits of coverage on YouTube and trying to skip to the less dry stuff. Today, it was the main story on the Beeb! I imagine a few of the investigative shysters giving testimony last year, will be relieved that they gave their evidence under less scrutiny.

Comment

It had been over 30 yrs since I last watched The Conversation and it was almost like seeing it for the first time. I'd forgotten a number of details.

It starts w/ a superb 3-minute opening shot, and the first four actors listed in the opening credits are ordinary-looking, balding guys - something you'd never see today or in last 30 years for a big-time dramatic film. Robert Duvall (another bald ordinary-looking guy) appears uncredited.

Film got three Academy nominations (film, screenplay and sound) w/ Coppola having two films (Conversation & Godfather II) in the mix. Hackman thoroughly deserved a nomination, but he did have some serious competition to choose only five nominees.

Neflix has a number of films from the 70s and 80s that I plan to revisit.

Comment

It's hard to think of a finer movie than The Conversation. The 70s film boom at its creative (and paranoid) zenith.

Comment

Its a perfect film. Harrison Ford should have gone creep/villainous more often.

Comment

You're so right.

Comment

Was off sick on Tuesday so I binged The Brothers Sun on Netflix.
                      It was sort of an odd tone. Dramatic and (very) violent but it seemed to want to be a comedy too.
                      So it turned out a bit neither one thing nor t'other.
                      A diverting enough watch though. And Michelle Yeoh is as amazing as ever. There's one scene where she goes from regret, to grief to blazing murderous rage in about 20 seconds with just her eyes. She doesn't move another muscle. It's mind-blowing.

Comment

A couple of movies on today’s flight.

Past Lives, which loads of people love. And I understand why. It’s charming. But it’s very low key and slow paced for my tastes. I just kept getting bored and my mind wandering. It is definitely not a movie to watch if you want action. Also, and this shows how my mind was wandering, it felt like some of the most heavy-handed foley work I’ve heard in a long time. Probably enhanced by wearing the headphones, but it felt very thwompy and clunky and clacky and clicky.

And Dumb Money, which was entertaining enough to watch. About hedge funds and GameStop. Not top tier stuff where you’d make an event out of watching it, but the kind of thing that’s fun to watch on a plane, or bored on a weekday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                          It had been over 30 yrs since I last watched The Conversation and it was almost like seeing it for the first time. I'd forgotten a number of details.
                          Probably one of those bits of information everyone knows, but John Cazale was in it...and four other films that were nominated for Best Picture, and then he died.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Probably one of those bits of information everyone knows, but John Cazale was in it...and four other films that were nominated for Best Picture, and then he died.
                            He also dated Meryl Streep around that time.

Probably the most impressive hot streak for an actor in Hollywood history. Sad that it ended like that rather than a shitty movie or two.

Comment

My wife and I watched 'Fingernails' tonight, an Apple TV+ movie. She was tempted by the undoubtedly impressive cast of Jessie Buckley, Riz Ahmed and Jeremy Allen White though I was a reticent as I didn't know anything by the director/co-writer Christos Nikou (who is Greek and this was his first film in English) but relented.

Gawd it was dreadful. Unconvincing and muddled about its central conceit (that a scientific test to establish if people truly love each other has been developed) and trying for satire but with no real target or bite to it. Most of all though it was just dull, dull, dull. Irritating and pompous too.

I thought early on that I like Buckley as an actor but have not seen a great amount of her work and that may be because she does seem frequently attracted to projects that turn me off (Men and I'm Thinking of Ending Things spring to mind) however good she might be individually in them.

Anyway, a reminder that I should always stick to my instincts that the director/writer is a better indicator than the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                I thought early on that I like Buckley as an actor but have not seen a great amount of her work and that may be because she does seem frequently attracted to projects that turn me off (Men and I'm Thinking of Ending Things spring to mind) however good she might be individually in them.
                                I was smitten with her in Fargo. Just...delightfully off-kilter and gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Gawd it was dreadful. Unconvincing and muddled about its central conceit (that a scientific test to establish if people truly love each other has been developed) and trying for satire but with no real target or bite to it. Most of all though it was just dull, dull, dull. Irritating and pompous too.
                                  I like her, but I gave up on that film quickly.

Comment

It takes a lot for me to give up on a film (I only did it once last year with the appalling 'Maybe I Do') but we should have packed this one in. It felt like there might be some resolution or pay-off at the end to make the experience slightly worthwhile but no.

There was one good sight gag featuring a cinema sign but that's it.

Comment

So, Fool Me Once…it’s fine. Your standard overlong procedural. But help me out with this bit of English.

Twice now, somebody has referenced a person laying on the ground as ‘laying on the floor’. Nobody really says that do they? Floors are indoors. Grass fields and gravel driveways are not ‘floors’ in a civil society, are they?

Comment

As mentioned on the clichés thread we watched A Quiet Place which, while indeed pretty cliché-ridden, was not bad at all. Nice creation of suspense from the first scene, good lead pair and not too long.

Comment

I watched Brief Encounter last night and blow me, now aim talking lake Harry Enfield. Not entarely heppy about it.

It’s a beautifully made film, but rewatching reinforced how much I dislike the main characters. Selfish snobs taking the piss out of everyone they encounter. Alec is a predator and the part where he talks about what an idealist <CLANG>White Saviour</CLANG> he is makes me want to vom.

Comment

The husband, connoisseur of trash TV, is insisting on watching the reboot of Gladiators. Walsh Jnr has about as much charisma as a piece of the set furniture, and the addition of Mark "Clatz" Clattenburg playing the role of the referee is giving it an even more surreal twist.

Comment

New Bluey episodes dropped on Disney Plus today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                                The husband, connoisseur of trash TV, is insisting on watching the reboot of Gladiators. Walsh Jnr has about as much charisma as a piece of the set furniture, and the addition of Mark "Clatz" Clattenburg playing the role of the referee is giving it an even more surreal twist.
                                                Hopefully Walsh Snr's toupee wasn't discommoded too badly by the flying action! I'm convinced his Cockney accent wasn't as pronounced (to pardon the pun) in earlier years of The Chase, and that he appears to be 'ammin' it up these days.

Comment

I liked Jessie Buckley in Wild Rose; not seen her in anything else yet.

Comment

I'm really enjoying the Gladiators reboot. Daft, exciting fun. It's more or less identical to the original which is a good decision. Maybe the 90s aesthetic has some appeal after a bit of time away

Comment

Working...
                                                    X