Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post

Same here re Inside Man, although we only managed one episode.
    We saw it through, but only because it was shorter than the usual six parters. Apart from the blatant absurdity of the whole thing, what really grated were the switches in tone from smart aleckiness to lumpen cod-profundity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
      There's a big difference isn't there? Between the books and the games? The books sound dreadful
      There's not a huge difference. Although the mediums do introduce some translational difficulties.
      The books are fine. I've read maybe 3 of them. I'm not really a fantasy fan to be honest, I came to the Witcher through playing Wild Hunt for the 8 months it took to finish. I find the whole sword of dobber thing a bit silly (while loving space opera and sci fi - go figure.) The books certainly seem to be more coherent and better written that other stuff like Game of Tits and wheel of thrones etc. which have made it to the screen. And I'd generally rather watch than read these types of things.* They can be eye candy if nothing else.

*except for GoT which was tedious shit both on the screen and on the page.
      Last edited by hobbes; 09-11-2022, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
        There's a big difference isn't there? Between the books and the games? The books sound dreadful. But I won't hear a word said about Cavill, he's a massive geek and into his Games Workshop stuff so one of 'us' (me?).

Cheers for the Letterkenny details. It's probably true of any sitcom that goes on that long isn't it? You do the same things, you parody yourself, and your characters just become joke delivery devices with no inner being.

edit: Letterkenny, I love the Shamrockettes.
        Shorsey, the spin off, does go in a slightly different direction with new gags and a specific focus on hockey culture. It seems to be mocking it, the way Letterkenny does with Reilly and Jonesy, but it's actually a paean to that subculture.

The Shamrockettes are outstanding. I'd never heard "mitt" used that way.
        It's fun to rewatch those scenes and watch the background actors working hard not to break.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          I've been watching Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix. It reminds me of a big-budget Alfred Hitchcock Presents (not a bad thing and Del Toro has cited it as an influence). Plus I'm a sucker for Amicus-style portmanteau films.

Some episodes are better than others, although they're worth watching for the design and special effects, which are top notch. I'd recommend the episodes The Autopsy and The Outside. (Haven't watched 6 and 8 yet.)
          Yes, we're deep into this right now and it's...yeah... a little bit gross-out at times...but overall very good. Stylish as hell, too. It was made around here, so we're trying to spot things we recognize. Rupert Grint was living nearby when he was shooting his bit.

Comment

Andor remains outstanding.

The Queen season 5 is off to a good start. It’s just very well made and acted. I like that Sick Boy is playing John Major.

Comment

Finished Blockbuster. That might get another 10 episodes but it's sort of run out of steam.

Started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Had never watched it before so starting right from the beginning. I laughed a lot during the second episode when Glenn got egged. Mrs Thistle was very enthused when we realised Charlie Day was the voice of Benny the Spaceman in The Lego Movie AND voiced one of her favourite characters, Art, in Monster's University.

Also going to give Reboot a try. It's new on Disney Plus. Watched half of the first episode over lunch and it made me chuckle. It is a TV show about a TV show and that can go either way so I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Had never watched it before so starting right from the beginning. I laughed a lot during the second episode when Glenn got egged. Mrs Thistle was very enthused when we realised Charlie Day was the voice of Benny the Spaceman in The Lego Movie AND voiced one of her favourite characters, Art, in Monster's University.
                It took me a while to realise that every character is written to be dislikable in the extreme - I think it was Balderdasha who mentioned it on this very thread - but after the first few episodes I binge-watched it all the way through in a few weeks. It's fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

It took me a while to realise that every character is written to be dislikable in the extreme - I think it was Balderdasha who mentioned it on this very thread - but after the first few episodes I binge-watched it all the way through in a few weeks. It's fantastic.
                  The podcast they are doing is also amazing. The Youtube version especially. There's an episode where Charly Day gets a little tipsy, takes to the guitar in the studio and the real love the 3 of them have for each other comes across so genuinely.

https://youtu.be/oDGtZtZsAdY

Comment

I don't know the actual facts, but I found the Al Fayed episode of The Crown really touching.

And John Major was pretty impressive too.

Comment

I’m onto the one about the Romanovs. What a tough beat that was.

Johnny Lee Miller as Major does a good job of portraying the “why do you people have to give me this aggrevation?” I take it that he saw the royals’ problems as his problems, although I can only speculate as to why. I wonder if a Labour PM would be so invested in the stability of the monarchy.

I think Dominic West is a bit too handsome and dashing to be Charles. They are trying to show that he was trying to upgrade the royal family and cared about some causes, but he’s not cool like Jimmy McNulty.

Elizabeth Debicky is astounding. Perhaps the best Diana we’ve seen on screen - and there have been a lot - but I feel like we’ve had enough Diana for a while.

Or maybe she’s like Hamlet or Batman. We don’t need another version, but what they hell, what’s one more? Give it a shot!

The scenes with William are kind of chilling. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a kid and be told “Everyone in the world is unique, but you are even more unique than that. You are both astronomically lucky and yet totally fucked.”

Side-question.
                      The royals do so many appearances at the opening of office parks, speeches at fundraisers, etc. At one point in the show, Margaret says she does like 1,600 gigs a year.

How is it decided or determine who gets what royal to show up? What are the traditions/protocols?
                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-11-2022, 05:42.

Comment

Anyone else started The English? Nailed two episodes yesterday whilst doing the ironing and currently trying to arrange my schedule to get the rest of it in as soon as possible. Superb.

Comment

Originally posted by "Hold on, buddy!" View Post
                          Anyone else started The English? Nailed two episodes yesterday whilst doing the ironing and currently trying to arrange my schedule to get the rest of it in as soon as possible. Superb.
                          Yes, we've watched two as well and are very impressed so far. Liking the Leone-esque title sequence too.

Caught an episode of Dalgliesh on Channel 5 last night, which exceeded expectations. I think the stories were shown as two-parters last year but have been repackaged in the Morse format. It's set in the'70s, handsomely mounted and this one made the most of its coastal locations, avoiding the weird placelessness that C5's contemporary dramas often have.

Edit: It was all filmed in Northern Ireland apparently. Ah well, it stands in well for '70s England.
                          Last edited by Benjm; 12-11-2022, 16:42.

Comment

The current season of The Good Fight ended the other night. I'm not sure how this show is even produced. For a dramatic series it manages to up-to-the-minute topical, while maintaining idiosyncratic wit and also vital character continuity. Maybe they hold the final cut until a day or two before it's shown? For example the final episode concerned a male character attempting to sue De Santis for sexual assault in order to improve Trump's chances of running for president again, and that was just one of several story threads. It appears there'll be some major cast changes next season, which is a pity. But the show has survived them before so I'm not too worried, maybe they even help it fly under the celebrity radar.

Comment

I’m checking out The English now. I’d never heard of it, but it’s on Amazon. I like Emily Blunt.

Comment

Jackpot: The Curse of The Lottery. Watched this last night, and my god...

A French or German mini-documentary (it's listed as German, but the filmmaker sounds French) about American lottery winners.

First, I don't begrudge any of them their winnings. But man, does money ever dial up your worst personality tendencies to 11. At the end of a scant 45 minutes I absolutely loathed two of the participants; the loudmouth boorish wife (you'll know her) and the Buffalo, NY guy. Eugh....just awful people. Oddly, the loudmouth boor's husband is an absolute mensch, who used the win as an opportunity to join his local volunteer fire department.

Saw it on Netflix, but it's here if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6xtnE-wurM

Comment

The director and producer are French, but it was shot in English for the German equivalent of the World Service

Comment

Watched third episode of The White Lotus, and found it much more enjoyable. Getting some proper character development now, and Tom Hollander's character is seen, if not heard. I'd forgotten that he was part of the cast this series.

Comment

Have we done "You Don't Know Me"? Watched it this week and I thought it was really well done (I'm not convinced that the British court system would let someone on trial for murder suspect - a black man on trial for murder - make his case like that, but that suspension of disbelief issue aside)

Comment

For the first time in a while last night my wife and I got hooked onto a series so much that we watched it through into the early hours. It was ‘The English’ on iplayer and very good it was too.

Comment

I watched SAS: Rogue Heroes on iplayer over the weekend. Hokum, but entertaining enough hokum and with enough truth behind it that it kept me interested.

Also, any show that uses Motorhead's The Game (Triple H) is OK by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                            For the first time in a while last night my wife and I got hooked onto a series so much that we watched it through into the early hours. It was ‘The English’ on iplayer and very good it was too.
                                            The nastiness and animal murder are putting me off a bit, but I really love the two lead performances so I'll keep with it.

Comment

Haven't been enticed at all by that SAS thing, it looks like a giant gammon wank.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                                I'm still really enjoying it, but finding that now Rafe spall's shown up, he's really getting on my nerves. It obviously must be what Hugo Blick wants out of him, but I can do without what seems to be a very 'actorly' performance, which stands in contrast with the more realistic approaches taken by the rest of the cast.

Comment

I’m watching a thing called Fleischman is in Trouble, which I shouldn’t like but somehow do. It’s got a lot of voiceover narration, which I usually despise. Jesse Eisenberg plays a doctor on the Upper East Side who is getting divorced from a terrible status-monger played by Claire Danes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                    Haven't been enticed at all by that SAS thing, it looks like a giant gammon wank.
                                                    There was a bloke who we first met when he was wearing a dress, who might have been gay as well (I mean, he wore a bow tie, for Christ's sake) and a woman who was independent and strong willed and French people being brave and everything. Never seen anything as woke in my life.

It at least differed from Commando comics in that the basic story was true and as such not everyone killed a million Germans and Italians every single time they went on a raid, nor did they all make it back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X