No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is my impression of him as well. But he also wants the young people to think he's cool.

Comment

Still?

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post

That’s a great film. Vincent Price is my number-one favourite actor of all time. That’s when they were doing all those Poe films. All fantastic. I think they pushed The Raven to the limits of an adaption, though. I don’t recall an ace wizard fight in the poem. A super-young, bewildered Jack Nicholson also appears.

Corman gave so many directors their first start. Russ Meyer gave so many teenagers their first start. I think Meyer is great. I formed that opinion about 30 years-ago. Tits ‘n’ ass aside, I always loved the pure commitment. All those full-on-breathless, heaving and hammy performances. Not sure what I’d think now, though. I might just leave the memory alone.

The Pit and the Pendulum was always on the TV when I was a kid and used to terrify me. It also has one of the best final scenes in the history of cinema, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
          Still?
          Probably

Comment

Today I have been watching a show on Amazon Prime called Luxe Listings Sydney and now I want to live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

The Pit and the Pendulum was always on the TV when I was a kid and used to terrify me. It also has one of the best final scenes in the history of cinema, IMHO.
              That was one of the first horror films I saw as a child and it terrified me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

That was one of the first horror films I saw as a child and it terrified me as well.

Relive the terror, IF YOU DAAAAAAARE...

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
                  Corman gave so many directors their first start. Russ Meyer gave so many teenagers their first start. I think Meyer is great. I formed that opinion about 30 years-ago. Tits ‘n’ ass aside, I always loved the pure commitment. All those full-on-breathless, heaving and hammy performances. Not sure what I’d think now, though. I might just leave the memory alone.
                  I think Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill!, Supervixens and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls still hold up well. Maybe Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens. You can probably ignore most of the rest.

Comment

That last episode of Derry Girls was sensational (apart from an unnecessary bit at the very end). As funny as it was emotional. And probably the only thing I've seen about the 90s in recent times that has got me genuinely nostalgic for it (well, 1998 in particular)

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                      Today I have been watching a show on Amazon Prime called Luxe Listings Sydney and now I want to live there.
                      Sydney is a bit pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                        That last episode of Derry Girls was sensational (apart from an unnecessary bit at the very end). As funny as it was emotional. And probably the only thing I've seen about the 90s in recent times that has got me genuinely nostalgic for it (well, 1998 in particular)
                        I also watched and really enjoyed it.

I never knew the Good Friday Agreement went to a referendum I always assumed it was just something the British and Irish governments agreed on - tbh, I'm ashamed to admit I know extremely little about the Good Friday Agreement. I was 13 when the referendum took place and I never gave Northern Ireland any thought at the time. Certainly something for me to read up on.

Comment

I've just watched the last episode of Derry Girls as well. Made me feel a bit emotional. Very sensitively showed why it was a huge step and not straightforward.

Comment

Season 3 of Atlanta finished last night and it was an incredible ride. It’s incredibly smart and incredibly brave and occasionally funny. It started as a sitcom and became something so much more.

Comment

I finally completed Seinfeld last night. As was pointed out to me, it definitely got better as it went on. I'm convinced the last series is the best by a distance, but I enjoyed it so much more as a whole from the 5th series on.

The final episode was fantastic, really well done with how they brought so many characters back.

A lot of it I watched whilst falling asleep, so there's still a few episodes I need to rewatch, like The Contest, but all in all, I'm glad I watched it all.

Comment

That’s not the prevailing opinion. The ending wasn’t well-liked and most fans think it lost something when Larry David quit.

However, IIRC, the later seasons had more of Jerry Stiller, whose performance should be in the supporting character hall of fame.

Comment

If we all held the same opinion, life would be boring.

Jerry Stiller was outstanding as Frank Costanza though - definitely my favourite character on the whole.

Comment

Currently watching Close To Me with Connie Nielsen and Christopher Ecclestone. It’s all right, but these British psychological thrillers are starting to all feel the same. There was one recently we saw with David Oyelowo as an obsessive architect. And another one about a highly intelligent house with no bannisters. Usually someone has died or had a really traumatic injury and we spend the series finding out how, and who did it. Slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      If we all held the same opinion, life would be boring.

Jerry Stiller was outstanding as Frank Costanza though - definitely my favourite character on the whole.
                                      I don’t think you’re wrong, just pointing out that you are among the few lucky viewers who liked the last episode.

Comment

As I wasn't too seriously invested in the show, I quite liked the finale and enjoyed it even more when the more rabid fan and critics freaked out over it.

Frank Costanza ruled, with the David Puddy character in second place.

Comment

No show except the Simpsons has had more great secondary and tertiary characters than Seinfeld.

Comment

My mental health isn’t great, so I’m watching Star Trek films. The actors on the reboot are actually better than the original, and of course the effects are a thousand times better.

Comment

Perhaps the interesting series I'm watching right now (La Signora won't watch, it gives her bad dreams) is Shining Girls on Apple. Starring, and partially directed, by the ubiquitous Elizabeth Moss. It's about a number of women who have been assaulted and murdered, and a shiny object left inside them. It sounds gruesome, and to some extent it is, but that's not at the core of the story. Mostly it's about memory, time and trauma I think. It's not a mystery, we know the killer from the first episode. It's very off-centre, Moss identifies her attacker by his voice. When she sees him, she recognises him as someone she knew as a child, but he looks exactly the same as he did then. It's all very off-kilter but really compelling. Definitely recommended.

Comment

I gave up on that. Partly because it was grim but also because it seemed to be juggling multiple “high concepts,” as they’re called. Too much of a hat on a hat.

Comment

I'm never really sure what "high concept" actually means. Other than were dismissing this because were not willing to put in the effort to look at anything that doesn't have the dramatic continuity we expect.

Comment

No, I’m not going to make an effort to understand yet another serial killer story.
                                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-05-2022, 01:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X