Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
    Late to the party, but the missus and I are watching S1 of Derry Girls on the Channel 4 catch up service ("All 4" or something like that). One of the best sit-coms I've seen in my life. So many laugh out loud moments. Brilliant writing.
    Yup. Just finished a re-watch on my own. Stupidly funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
      Just finished the latest series of Masterchef.

spoilers>>>>>>>>>

The loveable Eddie takes the title. Handsome fellow with a reassuringly doughy midriff. My 74-year-old mum got herself a right teeny-bop crush. My dad is all of-a-sudden making jus and char-grilling lettuce. Anyway, this series was particularly good. A likeable cast of characters. Less combative than the US and Australian versions. A lot of the food looked particularly delicious this year. Pickling is still big, but foraging has taken a back seat. It’s one of those shows that you get so into that you feel a want when it’s not there. It’s on iPlayer if you’re in the mood.
      Yes, Eddie’s fusion of French and Asian flavours was fantastic. There was a woman of Nigerian heritage who made it up to the quarter finals (I can’t remember her name off hand) and her food had me drooling but she made one flawed meal and was gone. It’s a tough competition.

Comment

Olayemi. She was great. It's regular on Masterchef to see cooks who seem unlikely to win but are the ones you'd be most excited to be fed by, and she's definitely in that sphere.

When I was in Finland recently I watched their Masterchef recently, and it was similar but had some more game-like rules whereby contestants could get their food judged as soon as they finished and use that time elsewhere. It's a tad more gimmicky and detracts a bit from everyone having the same conditions to simply prepare great food.

I think Masterchef in the UK has made some strides in inclusivity so that people who cook are skilled in different cuisines don't get kicked out just because they can't master making a pie or cake or some other fairly Westernised culinary convention. It seems a little bit more open. That said, its coverage of non-meat dishes is still miniscule (considering how many people in the UK don't eat regularly meat now), and it had an unfortunate return of that total A hole Gordon Ramsay to resurrect his shouting and bullying style of management, which is a toxic ingredient the food trade desperately needs to get rid of.

Also, there some almost a borderline racist idea in Masterchef that anyone who doesn't cook Western food brings 'lots of flavour'. It's almost a tautology. What good chef doesn't provide lots of flavour? It's almost as bad as Black contestants on Strictly being described as having rhythm. Someone seriously needs to have a word.

Comment

I don’t understand the appeal of those shows. Food is not really a visual medium.

Comment

I dunno, Peps. I've been watching Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy (BBC IPLAYER), looking at him scoff his way around the regions. And I sit and salivate and want to eat every dish he tries (as well as making a mental note yet again to eventually visit Sicily).

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              Spoilers

It’s been one of those Masterchefs where it’s been obvious almost since the start who would win. A little like 21 year old Craig a while back. Eddie’s just great.
              Is there a UK version of Masterchef Junior? It's seriously my favorite of the entire franchise. For all his bluster, Gordon Ramsey is actually very good with children.

Comment

I don't think they've persevered with Junior Masterchef much here, maybe as Junior Bake Off was a bit of a hit. That does sound a lot of fun, though, I'm sure.

For me, food works as a visual experience, it's just a brilliantly produced bit of TV where they manage to capture the sheen of a sauce or the grain or the stickiness of the rice really well. Obviously would be nice to taste it, but, it's still a feast for the senses.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                  I dunno, Peps. I've been watching Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy (BBC IPLAYER), looking at him scoff his way around the regions. And I sit and salivate and want to eat every dish he tries (as well as making a mental note yet again to eventually visit Sicily).
                  I actually don't really care about food and I no longer am going to be ashamed about it. I mean, I care and I notice the difference between awful and good, but once I stopped eating animals, it just became more trouble than it's worth to really care about it much.

Comment

I really wish that Tucci show was available on some platform I could get in Ireland. Effin geo block BBC.

Comment

Mike Meyers' The Pentavarate is bad, I'm sorry to say.
                      Ever since the second Austin Powers film, the ratio of awful shit, fart and dick jokes to really funny clever jokes has grown steadily and in this, the ratio is about 3 to 1. It's sad because some of his impressions in it and jokes about Canada are clever.

I gave up after episode 2.

He's one of the only famous people I can think of who faded away not because he was metoo'd or accused of specific charges of abuse, but just because he's known as just too difficult to deal with. Even Dana Carvey doesn't want to deal with him any more, really.

Comment

I watched a bizarre but charming documentary movie on the plane yesterday called Set! about competitive table setting, and a bunch of (no surprise) Southern Californians competing to win the Best In Show for table setting (or tablescaping as some called it) at the Orange County Fair.

Comment

Could easily have been South Carolinans

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            Mike Meyers' The Pentavarate is bad, I'm sorry to say.
                            Ever since the second Austin Powers film, the ratio of awful shit, fart and dick jokes to really funny clever jokes has grown steadily and in this, the ratio is about 3 to 1. It's sad because some of his impressions in it and jokes about Canada are clever.

I gave up after episode 2.

He's one of the only famous people I can think of who faded away not because he was metoo'd or accused of specific charges of abuse, but just because he's known as just too difficult to deal with. Even Dana Carvey doesn't want to deal with him any more, really.
                            You're very charitable. He's just an asshole. I know people who grew up with him and a couple who've worked with him in the industry (Love Guru movie, specifically). He's just an asshole. Dana Carvey is being sweet when he hedges about why they're estranged.

Comment

Myers ruined The Cat in the Hat. It's the only time I've seen Mrs Thistle almost cry at a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                I watched a bizarre but charming documentary movie on the plane yesterday called Set! about competitive table setting, and a bunch of (no surprise) Southern Californians competing to win the Best In Show for table setting (or tablescaping as some called it) at the Orange County Fair.
                                That frightening woman who hosted Semi Homemade, or whatever it was called, was way into tablescapes.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

You're very charitable. He's just an asshole. I know people who grew up with him and a couple who've worked with him in the industry (Love Guru movie, specifically). He's just an asshole. Dana Carvey is being sweet when he hedges about why they're estranged.
                                  Yes, but lots of Hollywood people who are garden-variety assholes, or even racists or transphobes or even full-on sex offenders, don't seem to have nearly so much trouble finding people willing to work with them.

Dana Carvey basically retired from the business for a while because he wanted to stay home with his kids. He said he could make $100,000 plus a private flight to do private stand-up gigs whenever he felt like it so he just did that for awhile. But he's been more public in recent years and it's been clear that doing more with Meyers is not going to be part of that.

Comment

A second hand recommendation this but my wife pulled an all nighter (ending at about 4.00 am this morning) watching the first series of ‘Love Life’ on BBC iplayer which she tells me is the best thing she’s seen in years.

The second series is apparently on BBC1 at the moment.

Comment

Amazing news. Detectorists is returning for a 75 minute feature length special.

I think it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Comment

YES!!!

Comment

Coming soon...
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8Qo8IN4DM

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                            Amazing news. Detectorists is returning for a 75 minute feature length special.

I think it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen.
                                            I'm nervous. Stretching brilliant 30 minute comedies to feature length has a tragic history.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                              Finished off Slow Horses a couple of days ago. I liked it.
                                              Then after reading Gary Oldman may revisit his Smiley role in a remake of Smileys People binged Alec Guiness’s original. Wonderful stuff but not as good as TTSS.
                                              I watched it on holiday last month - I thought it was fantastic. I've read all the Slough House novels, so I'm a bit of a Mick Herron fanboy, but I thought it was adapted really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I'm nervous. Stretching brilliant 30 minute comedies to feature length has a tragic history.
                                                That said, one section of Detectorists, the bit with the undiscovered plane and the too good to be true outsider, was almost like a cult British film gem divided up into three parts for the screen. There's no doubt they're good enough to pull it off.

Comment

Going off previous comedy specials, I'm predicting that Andy and Lance win a competition to go on an archeological dig in Egypt. Following an unlikely series of events, they are confused for spies and kidnapped. The day is saved when they detect an ancient skeleton key in the desert sand and escape the baddies lair. Guest star Omid Djalili plays all the Egyptians.

Comment

They're going to have to come up with something clever because it had the most joyous of endings of any TV series you would care to mention. And, blissfully happy endings don't tend to make for good material.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X