No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot has been made about Netflix losing subscribers and considering adding an cheaper, ad-supported option, and the extent to which it is a harbinger of bad times for all of streaming.

But to some extent, Netflix' problem is that their content just isn't very good.

I guess I'll keep it until Stranger Things is done.

Comment

It's mainly the cost relative to the competition. they've definitely gone for quantity over quality. Some people aren't super-critical, just want something they can veg out to which doesn't challenge them in any way. At the other extreme is Apple TV, and it's half the price.

Comment

Apple and Amazon can spend outrageous amounts just for the hell of it.

Comment

Very likely, but apparently they don't waste what they spend.

Comment

Apple is not available in Romania. Or Turkey for that matter. They can go fuck themselves.

Comment

I'm guessing even they have distribution limitations. Not every film distributor, or book publisher, releases everything internationally right away either.

Comment

They're available in (I think) every other EU country. They're available in Moldova. And doesn't Apple only show their own content? If so I'm not sure what restrictions they have. I'm not accusing them of some form of racism, but I'd really like them to explain it

Comment

Have you asked them?

Comment

I counted ten separate inquiries on the Apple Support forum, none of which really answer the question

I imagine the Romanian language support forum has even more

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Very likely, but apparently they don't waste what they spend.
                      Everything Apple+ has made has been pretty good, as far as I can tell. Or, at least, a worthy failure. Except Morning Show. Which is so bad it’s entertaining.

Comment

Moon Knight sucked. I generally like Marvel shows and lots of people think it’s great, but I don’t see the point in pretending otherwise. It didn’t make any sense and didn’t offer much reason to put any effort it making sense of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Have you asked them?
                          Yes. They didn't answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

In a similar way we watched some episodes of an ITV police procedural called Grace which we gave a chance to because John Simm has been in some good stuff. Well, he was in The Lakes, which was very good stuff but the person who wrote Grace is no Jimmy McGovern. It’s utterly risible
                            We watched this and were surprised at just how hokey the scripts were. It wasn't just the ludicrous main twist in the most recent one, everything was slightly half arsed; misjudged levels of back story and emotional journey for characters we don't know well enough to care about, exposition that John Beck would reject as too direct, the Simm character's half developed trademark quirk. It is reasonable to ask what do you expect watching ITV on a Sunday but there's a difference between undemanding and flat out incompetent.

Suckers for punishment, we have watched a couple of episodes of D.I. Ray, the same channel's police procedural showing through this week. The plotting is predictable but a decent cast do their best with the material and there's some good aerial photography of Birmingham by day and night.

Comment

I'm nearly done with Top Boy (on Netflix in the US). I missed season 1 when it came out, which is fine since I could binge both seasons in a week. This is basically an English version of the Wire minus the police. If the Wire had only focused on the drug gangs, this would be the show. Because of that lack of police narrative, the show does get a little repetitive, but I enjoyed it. I haven't finished so don't know how it will end relative to a season 3 or if a season 3 is in the works. If so, they need to do a better job with the time jump. The end of season 1 into season 2 was supposed to be a few months but the youngest brother looks 5 years older at least.

Comment

I’m enjoying Ten Percent, the remake of a French series I didn’t watch.

About a family owned entertainment agency. Famous actors play themselves.

Comment

The French original was called Dix pour cent in French, but Call My Agent! when subtitled into English

Comment

That’s right. I’m glad they made a British version. Not only because it’s easier for me to understand, but the real life cameos are people I’m familiar with.

Comment

I’m also knocking out Snowpiercer season 3.
                                      It drags a bit at times, but I’m glad I’ve stuck with it.

Comment

So not completely come off the rails yet?

Comment

<spoiler>

Actually, one of the trains - there are two now - does sort of go off the rails in the last episode. But it’s ok, because they manage to get it safely to stop in a bit near Arabia - I think it’s in Somalia - they call New Eden which is a warm spot. Around zero F. And they all go outside. </spoiler>
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-05-2022, 10:05.

Comment

Just finished the latest series of Masterchef.

spoilers>>>>>>>>>

The loveable Eddie takes the title. Handsome fellow with a reassuringly doughy midriff. My 74-year-old mum got herself a right teeny-bop crush. My dad is all of-a-sudden making jus and char-grilling lettuce. Anyway, this series was particularly good. A likeable cast of characters. Less combative than the US and Australian versions. A lot of the food looked particularly delicious this year. Pickling is still big, but foraging has taken a back seat. It’s one of those shows that you get so into that you feel a want when it’s not there. It’s on iPlayer if you’re in the mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
                                              Handsome fellow with a reassuringly doughy midriff.
                                              This. How could you trust a chef who isn't obviously a food lover? Never liked Gary Rhodes, for instance.

Comment

Spoilers

It’s been one of those Masterchefs where it’s been obvious almost since the start who would win. A little like 21 year old Craig a while back. Eddie’s just great.

Comment

Late to the party, but the missus and I are watching S1 of Derry Girls on the Channel 4 catch up service ("All 4" or something like that). One of the best sit-coms I've seen in my life. So many laugh out loud moments. Brilliant writing.

Comment

Russian Doll S2 turned out to be a load of guff in the end so. A ball of smoke about nothing, it reminded me of the woecious Director's cut of Donnie Darko.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X