Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, but the 'high concept' was intriguing. Sounds like the execution didn't match the idea.
    It's an example of "let's make this a series" because now everything is a series. But it would have been better as a movie or maybe a limited series.

If they'd wrapped up the whole story in 8 episodes, that would have been ok, albeit about two episodes too long. But they didn't. There's no resolution to the main plot *****spoiler**** which is that Annie is plotting to murder Kevin. ********

So it will need another season to sort that out. Or maybe they actually have a plan to wrap it up in just a few more but got COVIDed.

But aside from those problems, I liked the set up. Those sitcom guys - or the kinds of dudes in real life who refer to their wives as "the boss" before doing whatever they want - are not really amusing or charming at all and some of them are really terrible. The patriarchy isn't just the Harvey Weinstein-type characters, it's all the minor assholes that get away with it because we've collectively gotten so used to tolerating it. And, as the show points out, in certain subcultures - like Irish Catholic working class New England - women are expected to put up with shit like that because "that's just marriage."

Comment

Only got through a few episodes of Wandavision when it came out. It was good but I didn't keep it up. I picked it up again a week or so ago. Then, my son, who's going through a huge MCU phase at the moment, expressed an interest in watching so we've gone back to the start and are watching it together. Only about halfway through but I really am loving it second time round.

Comment

Is there a Pose thread? I finished Series 3 (the finale) last night and LOVED it.

Comment

Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is great. Steve Martin, Martin Short, Tina Fry, Selena Gomez, Amy Ryan, and oddly, Sting.

Comment

The building in question is two blocks east of us

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
              Enjoying Vigil.
              Me too. All the usual tropes and characters you’d expect, but good telly (BBC iplayer).

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post

Me too. All the usual tropes and characters you’d expect, but good telly (BBC iplayer).
                Agreed, and the submarine setting gives it a real sense of claustrophobic tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is great. Steve Martin, Martin Short, Tina Fry, Selena Gomez, Amy Ryan, and oddly, Sting.
                  Watched the first two episodes of that and found it remarkably enjoyable given that I don't think I've enjoyed anything with Steve Martin's involvement for probably a quarter century at least.

Comment

We are nearing the end of Rectify, and will miss it.

Comment

Just finished The Queen's Gambit yesterday, and very much enjoyed it (as witnessed by the fact it only took me four days to watch it all).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The building in question is two blocks east of us
                        It appears to be very large and very expensive.

Comment

Have recently begun watching Loki, having finished WandaVision a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed WV and figured Loki would be worth a try.

Also watching Bob's Burgers (which auto-correct tried to put down as Boobs Burgers!). Enjoying it and already on season 4. There are dud episodes here and there, but generally, it's rather amusing.

Comment

Ploughed through Limetown over the last 2 nights after it popped up on Alibi. Nicely off kilter but the wrap up was kind of disappointing after the build up.
                            Last edited by hobbes; 11-09-2021, 19:59.

Comment

I've been watching Click Bait on NetFlix today. I have two episodes left to watch. It's not the best murder mystery I've seen, but it's not the worst either.

Comment

Same. We just finished it yesterday. It ends well.

Comment

Anyone watch Manifest?

Comment

Started watching Ghosts on the iPlayer. It's the first comedy series I have watched in a long time, and it's pretty good.

Also saw Shang Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings last night. Good fun.

Comment

Anyone watch Manifest?
                                      No. I watched a couple of episodes of the first season on NBC and didn't continue. I don't remember why I didn't continue, but it was most likely because it didn't hook me back then. I keep seeing it on NetFlix, but there are always other new ones that I choose to watch first. Maybe I'll try again when I run out of those.

Comment

Anyone watch Manifest?
                                        We watched four or five episodes, but — after realising in ran to multiple seasons — felt it was likely to be another Lost clone that ended with a wet fart.
                                        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 12-09-2021, 17:24.

Comment

What should I watch on Netflix? I think I'm not currently watching anything on Netflix.

Comment

Anyone else seen The Burnt Orange Heresy? It's a four-hander about how corrupt the art-world is. there's an interesting double twist at the end which I shouldn't talk about without resorting to spoilers. Otherwise it's a bit dull, except for Mick Jagger, who's really, really, good! I don't think I've seen him in a film for donkey's years (Ned Kelly?) but he gives a clever, creepy performance that's makes the whole enterprise worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              What should I watch on Netflix? I think I'm not currently watching anything on Netflix.
                                              Archer's last but one season just landed. Other than that, not a lot recently. Luckily I have an extensive backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Anyone else seen The Burnt Orange Heresy? It's a four-hander about how corrupt the art-world is. there's an interesting double twist at the end which I shouldn't talk about without resorting to spoilers. Otherwise it's a bit dull, except for Mick Jagger, who's really, really, good! I don't think I've seen him in a film for donkey's years (Ned Kelly?) but he gives a clever, creepy performance that's makes the whole enterprise worthwhile.
                                                I have read the Charles Willeford book, so would be interested to see what a film is like.

Freejack is the most recent Jagger film that I can think of without checking. Not a classic by any means.

Comment

Ah! I had no idea it was a Willeford book. I might have to track it down. I'd like to know if the conclusion is the same.

Comment

Got through The Hunt for a Killer. Decent, but probably goes on for an episode or two more than necessary. Makes Sweden seem inexorably grim.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X