No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm watching Loki. Feels like a big budget Doctor Who.

Comment

That good?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
        That good?
        It's not bad at all. Just feels very Doctor Whoey.

Comment

I finished the first series of Mire based on the reviews above. It was a good drama. There were some threads that didn't seem to go anywhere and some others that weren't developed enough, but it was a good dramatic series. I'll start the second series next week.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

It's not bad at all. Just feels very Doctor Whoey.
            Yes, it was very wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Not much action, lots of talk. They did a big build up to the big villain reveal but then didn't even give his name and just let him talk for the rest of the episode. And then that was it. End of series.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
              I finished the first series of Mire based on the reviews above. It was a good drama. There were some threads that didn't seem to go anywhere and some others that weren't developed enough, but it was a good dramatic series. I'll start the second series next week.
              Some/most of those threads are likely stitched together in the second series. It's very much a show where the story-lines aren't tied up neatly at the end of one, or even two, series.

Comment

As well as my annual re-watch of The Sopranos, i've watched all 3 episodes of Steve McQueen's 'Uprising' documentary. , which is an extraordinary piece of work, focusing on the New Cross fire, racial tension in the late 70s/early 80s and the immediate aftermath of the tragedy, culminating with the Brixton riots and inquest.

Comment

I watched that documentary on Woodstock 99. I have some issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    I watched that documentary on Woodstock 99. I have some issues with it.
                    I've been looking out to see if we're getting it (Sky Documentaries usually gets HBO stuff) but it hasn't been mentioned yet. I listened to the Big Picture episode on it the other day (and know it was in house promotion really).

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Some/most of those threads are likely stitched together in the second series. It's very much a show where the story-lines aren't tied up neatly at the end of one, or even two, series.
                      I've just finished season one which I watched based on the mentions here, I'll probably get through season two over the next 2-3 evenings now my midweek football trip has been canned.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I've been looking out to see if we're getting it (Sky Documentaries usually gets HBO stuff) but it hasn't been mentioned yet. I listened to the Big Picture episode on it the other day (and know it was in house promotion really).
                        There’s just too much ground to cover in that time frame so it comes off a bit facile. It also tries to let the promoters damn themselves with their own stupid quotes, but sort of seems to give them too much cred.

I wish it had more interviews with journalists who were there. Instead it lets a few who weren’t pontificate about it. Not ideal.

It just lends itself to somewhat simplistic ideas about “generations” and how bad conditions make bad people.

It never really asks “what sort of idiot would want to come to this?” It was so obviously a recipe for disaster.*

The ‘94 version didn’t have lot of violence but it looked pretty terrible and the 1969 version wasn’t as much fun as the film or that generation would have us believe. Wesley Morris makes that point in the film but it needed more time. If the idea was to recreate something from the past, more critical thought should have been given to what the original really was and why it worked, insofar as it did.

Also, Moby has a lot of good observations as does the guy who sorta worked security and Jewel, believe it or not. The guy from Korn seems to have a good perspective. But there aren’t many other interviews with the musicians.

*I’ve never been to an outdoor festival like that and never will. Too hot. Too crowded. Too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                          Hats off to McQueen- all his Hollywood credentials mean he could probably have done anything he wanted these last couple of years and he did Small Axe and Uprising
                          I also really like the way that he does his stuff on free-to-air TV, not any paid for streaming services. Regarding Small Axe, he said he did it on the BBC so he could be sure his mum would be able to watch it.

Comment

His stuff is on Amazon here. Do they have a special deal with the BBC.

Comment

His stuff is on Amazon here. Do they have a special deal with the BBC.
                              Don't believe so. Some stuff goes to BBC America, some to Netflix, some to Amazon. Wikipedia lists it as a co-production with the BBC, which in these cases usually just means they put up some of the cash in return for international distribution rights.

Comment

There’s just too much ground to cover in that time frame so it comes off a bit facile. It also tries to let the promoters damn themselves with their own stupid quotes, but sort of seems to give them too much cred.

I wish it had more interviews with journalists who were there. Instead it lets a few who weren’t pontificate about it. Not ideal.

It just lends itself to somewhat simplistic ideas about “generations” and how bad conditions make bad people.

It never really asks “what sort of idiot would want to come to this?” It was so obviously a recipe for disaster.*

The ‘94 version didn’t have lot of violence but it looked pretty terrible and the 1969 version wasn’t as much fun as the film or that generation would have us believe. Wesley Morris makes that point in the film but it needed more time. If the idea was to recreate something from the past, more critical thought should have been given to what the original really was and why it worked, insofar as it did.

Also, Moby has a lot of good observations as does the guy who sorta worked security and Jewel, believe it or not. The guy from Korn seems to have a good perspective. But there aren’t many other interviews with the musicians.

*I’ve never been to an outdoor festival like that and never will. Too hot. Too crowded. Too expensive.
                                Interesting, thanks - the thing about "do bad conditions make bad people or is it the other way round" featured a lot in the interview on the Big Picture. I know that the Ringer also did a multi part podcast on Woodstock 99 which I was also interested in hearing but it was paywalled - in fact I assumed the documentary was a by-product of that but apparently they weren't connected originally.

I am the sort of idiot that would attend something like that, although ironically probably wouldn't have back then and even now as a fairly seasoned festival-goer, would be dubious about a one-off or entirely new festival - there is a lot that can go wrong in the wrong hands. The worst festival experience I've had was as a day ticket (and therefore not even camping) attender at T in the Park when it first moved to a new site, which I won't recant in full but when I got one of those surveys after the event and was asked "what one thing should we do to improve your experience next year", I replied "stop trying to kill us". I didn't get a reply.

Comment

Basically went through McCartney 3,2,1 on hulu in the course of a day or so. The episodes just fly by, and it's really fascinating hearing the two of them break down songs into their components. Paul also describes a few musical experiences from other artists, which is really great.

Don't think you even need to be a 'huge' fan to enjoy it.

Comment

Watched the first series of Stath Lets Flats over the weekend which I enjoyed, and will likely start the second series tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                      Watched the first series of Stath Lets Flats over the weekend which I enjoyed, and will likely start the second series tonight.

Fucking hell, the promotional video for M & E Properties is magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Interesting, thanks - the thing about "do bad conditions make bad people or is it the other way round" featured a lot in the interview on the Big Picture. I know that the Ringer also did a multi part podcast on Woodstock 99 which I was also interested in hearing but it was paywalled - in fact I assumed the documentary was a by-product of that but apparently they weren't connected originally.

I am the sort of idiot that would attend something like that, although ironically probably wouldn't have back then and even now as a fairly seasoned festival-goer, would be dubious about a one-off or entirely new festival - there is a lot that can go wrong in the wrong hands. The worst festival experience I've had was as a day ticket (and therefore not even camping) attender at T in the Park when it first moved to a new site, which I won't recant in full but when I got one of those surveys after the event and was asked "what one thing should we do to improve your experience next year", I replied "stop trying to kill us". I didn't get a reply.
                                        I didn't mean to impugn all festivals, though I would guess that they're all susceptible to the issues that arose at any of the Woodstocks.

I just felt like the doc tried to make it all about "this generation" or about how the conditions led to Lord of the Flies. And there's some implication that the kind of people that liked Limp Bizkit - white male assholes from 'Jersey - are more likely to cause trouble.

All of those things are at least partly true, but I suspect that the people the event do not represent a fair sample of Limp Bizkit/RHCP/Korn/Metallica fans, let alone a fair representation of a generation. There's something about the psychology of somebody willing to endure such terrible conditions for the sake of a "party" that represents a very certain kind of young person and I don't think they're particularly unique to that generation. The drugs are different, I guess.

I guess the better question is why did so many people stay? As Moby said in the doc, he could tell that the vibe was really bad six hours into it.

A mass example of sunk cost fallacy, I guess - "I paid all this money and came all this way to see Metallica! I'm not giving up."
                                        That question is asked in the doc. I can't recall who said it but they called it a "mass psychosis" I think.

I suppose it's an example of the sort of thing that was easier to do before the internet took off. Both the '69 event and the '94 event were pretty dicey in a lot of areas, but the promoters were largely able to shape the popular narrative of what happened those. So the kids coming in 1999 may not have known which questions to ask or what the problems could be or what kind of complete tools the promoters were.

They just heard it was a good time.

Whereas now, within a few hours, all the problems with the security, the water, the sanitation, etc, would be all over youtube and twitter within the first few hours and there'd be calls from parents and politicians to shut it down.

Comment

As far as I can tell the first series of The Mire is not available on Romanian Netflix which is both annoying and stupid. I could watch the second series but I'm assuming it will make more sense if I've watched the first

Comment

"Mire" is not a word most people use, is it? It's in that Doors song. It's used by journalists - "The bill is still mired in committee." But I can't recall ever using it.

Comment

The Grimpen Mire in The Hound of the Baskervilles is my number one mire association. It is fictional but there are real mires on Dartmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                As far as I can tell the first series of The Mire is not available on Romanian Netflix which is both annoying and stupid. I could watch the second series but I'm assuming it will make more sense if I've watched the first
                                                Oh definitely.

Comment

We've just finished 'Becoming A God In Central Florida' (80's pyramid scam comedy-drama) on Netflix. Great fun with excellent performances from Kirsten Dunst, Theodore Pellerin and Ted Levine. Slightly spoiled by a bit of a cop out ending, but that's a minor quibble. Sadly it seems that it's not being picked up for a second season - more due to the logistics of making it happen than any lack of desire to go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    The Grimpen Mire in The Hound of the Baskervilles is my number one mire association. It is fictional but there are real mires on Dartmoor.
                                                    Hang Me Up To Dry by the Cold War Kids is mine. But mired is a word I'll use occasionally, usually at work as an alternative to "bogged down"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X