No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll tell you what I'm already pre-hating is this Chad show on Comedy Network. A 40 year old woman comedian plays a 14 year old boy named Chad. The teasers alone are making my skin crawl. I can't imagine what the actual material will be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
      Watched the first episode of Mare last night. All a bit grim. I'm sort of over grim right now. Life's grim enough without being entertained by grim. Mind you I also watched the latest Line of Duty episode, though there the grim is being superseded by the stupidity of the main characters, all of whom seem as bent/stupid as the people they are pursuing.
      I didn't think it was so grim. I thought it was just about people trying to get by which, by the end, will probably feel sorta uplifting - except for the murders, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
        BBC2 had a very entertaining documentary last night about the rebirth of Derry City FC in the 1980s. The tone was unashamedly partial and affectionate but, with the Super League splashed across all the news bulletins, it was a welcome reminder of why football can be a wonderful thing.
        Worth watching for the match commentaries alone; "What a CRACKER!", "Now THAT is the goal of the season".

The crowd surge after Cork's last minute winner was terrifying.

Comment

I watched Midnight Run again.

Comment

I really liked the first episode of Mare. I don't know if the accent is or isn't accurate but since I don't know the accent, I'm good with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              I watched Midnight Run again.
              I enjoyed it as much as ever the last time I did, after avoiding it for a while due to overfamiliarity.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                I really liked the first episode of Mare. I don't know if the accent is or isn't accurate but since I don't know the accent, I'm good with it.
                If you really want to hear it, this guy does a series of sorta funny sketches that replace famous movie dialog with Philly-speak. Hoagies and wooder ice do not actually come up in every conversation, but it's funny anyway.

As has been pointed out, movies usually get it wrong. The actor who nailed it the best for comedic effect was James McEvoy on SNL. He is, of course, Scottish. British and Australian actors are better at learning US accents than vice versa.

Comment

Except fer Dominic West.

Comment

Where is he from?

Comment

Sheffield, though he went to Eton and Trinity College Dublin

Comment

Richard Armitage’s American accent is slightly shaky in Berlin Station which was excellent nonetheless. He’s from Leicester.

Comment

Finally saw The White Tiger last night (slight spoilers ahead).

I was gripped and impressed by it, if not quite as blown away as the previous posters who've commented on it upthread.

The movie would not work at all without Adarsh Gourav's outstanding central performance which really was award/nomination-worthy for me. I think the film fails slightly to fully convincingly convey Balram's shift in character near the end but that's no fault of the actor.

The other thing that struck me were the similarity to Parasite, both in terms of the overriding theme of poverty & privilege existing side by side within the same home/"family" and in terms of the nature of the climactic act of the film, if not the aftermath of it.

It was beautifully shot too, I wish I'd been able to see it in the cinema.

Comment

Watched the last episode of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. I enjoyed the series tremendously, but spotted the Power Broker a mile off (i.e. as soon as we got to Madripoor) , and fun as it was, it was very traditional Marvel fare. It didn't have the "What the fuck is going on? I am not going on social media in case of spoliers" that WandaVision had. That was genuinely compelling.

That being said, I still marked out over Captain Falcon and the introduction of the US Agent costume.

Comment

I'm enjoying Bridgerton more than I should.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                I'm enjoying Bridgerton more than I should.
                                Why shouldn’t you? It’s just fun. You might also enjoy The Great if you’ve not already.

Comment

Will look.

Comment

Those are both good.

The season finale of For All Mankind is one of the most impressive hours of sci-fi I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Today I watched Dog Day Afternoon for the first time.

Comment

Did you find it absolutely fantastic? No pressure, obviously!

Comment

Coming to that film with a vivid memory of the incident on which it is based had a major impact on how I experienced it, but that isn't something I could control

It remains a very fine film indeed and John Cazale is one of the all time losses to the art

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Coming to that film with a vivid memory of the incident on which it is based had a major impact on how I experienced it, but that isn't something I could control
                                            Can you expand upon that at all, ursus? I often struggle with dramatisations of recent or familiar events, so am glad not to have brought any prior knowledge to Dog Day Afternoon.

I watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three recently for the first time and there is lots there to enjoy for fans of DDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              Did you find it absolutely fantastic? No pressure, obviously!
                                              Like every film, it’s not as good on my modest TV as it would be in the theater, but it’s a collection of fantastic performances and a great script. It’s also fairly progressive about trans issues for 1975, but not too much, of course. I read up on the story it was based on. Tragic.

It also made me reflect on how a movie like that could be a hit - our count as one - back then. Today it would be an Indy or Oscar bait or, hopefully, an HBO miniseries.

It’s not just that it’s a movie for adults, but it’s such a downer ending. A lot of famous 70s films had sad endings, but it seems like Hollywood stopped doing that in the 80s and audiences just took it for granted. Like I can recall a lot of people hated the ending of No Country for Old Men even though it’s perfect.

Comment

I find it difficult in such cases not to be overly aware of the elements of the story that the filmmakers have invented or modified and to wonder why they made the choices they did. It can lead to a somewhat discontinuous viewing experience.

I presume that you mean the original Pelham One Two Three and not the Travolta/Washington remake. Both it and DDA came out while I was in high school, and they both capture a NYC that remains very vivid in my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

It also made me reflect on how a movie like that could be a hit - our count as one - back then. Today it would be an Indy or Oscar bait or, hopefully, an HBO miniseries.

It’s not just that it’s a movie for adults, but it’s such a downer ending. A lot of famous 70s films had sad endings, but it seems like Hollywood stopped doing that in the 80s and audiences just took it for granted. Like I can recall a lot of people hated the ending of No Country for Old Men even though it’s perfect.
                                                  This is related to Scorsese's point (upthread.) American directors of that (his) generation were hugely influenced by European directors of the fifties and sixties. Dog Day Afternoon could easily have been the type of film Jules Dassin (a US ex-pat) or Louis Malle would have made a decade or so earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I presume that you mean the original Pelham One Two Three and not the Travolta/Washington remake. Both it and DDA came out while I was in high school, and they both capture a NYC that remains very vivid in my memory.
                                                    Yes, I had seen the remake before and it is a competent thriller, but the original is on a higher plane of achievement entirely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X