Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in the MCU looks as much like a comic book come to life as Thor's landing on the Rainbow Bridge.

And the curb stomping he then dishes out is an absolutely brilliant but of action.
    I had a massive grin through that whole part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Various Artist - teal and orange alert!

Edit: oh, you’ll need to look at Mr. D’s original post to see it.
      Thanks Sits, just what I needed...

To be fair, it's one of only a million scenes you could pick out from those films. The hard bit is finding one not with that look these days.

Comment

Wondering how bleak John Simm's new detective series will be tonight.

His projects average around 8/10 for grimness but could an 8pm ITV1 Sunday slot point to a comparatively breezy 6 or even 5 on the Simmometer?

Comment

I daresay his character will be struggling to discard the demons of a tortured past.

Comment

Fuck unfunny things...

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
              Having Disney + means we have some really good animation and the kids get to watch some quality stuff. And I can pretend that I am just sitting with them to be a good dad, but I am really enjoying Gravity Falls and Star vs The Forces of Evil. They really are great.
              Gravity Falls is the second greatest animated series ever, nestling between Avatar: The Last Airbender (in pole position)and Over the Garden Wall.

Comment

Watched Judas and the Black Messiah last night since it was going away on HBO Max. Terrific performances but I felt like the movie overall seemed a little predictable, though that may not be fair to something where the events are all taken from history, and I could guess how the story would end. There were some great moments when Daniel Kaluyaa was with his love interest, played by Dominique Fishback. She was very good. Jesse Plemons is great at playing unsettling characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  Thanks Sits, just what I needed...

To be fair, it's one of only a million scenes you could pick out from those films. The hard bit is finding one not with that look these days.
                  I'm beginning to see this myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

It's good. The series CBC could, and should, have made years ago.
                    Sometimes-hockey-writer Katie Baker on The Ringer suggested they could also set it in Warroad/Rosseau, Minnesota. Same vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                      Watched Judas and the Black Messiah last night since it was going away on HBO Max. Terrific performances but I felt like the movie overall seemed a little predictable, though that may not be fair to something where the events are all taken from history, and I could guess how the story would end. There were some great moments when Daniel Kaluyaa was with his love interest, played by Dominique Fishback. She was very good. Jesse Plemons is great at playing unsettling characters.
                      I thought it was very good, but I think it really missed something by not casting younger actors. The real Fred Hampton was just 22 or 23. He was an impressive speaker for any age, but somehow I think showing his youth and the youth of the other people in that scene would have helped.*

It's also weird that both the titular leads in this film are nominated as best supporting actor and nobody from the film is nominated for best lead actor. A bit of semi category fraud there. Everyone seems to be assuming that Chadwick Boseman has the lead actor Oscar sewn up, RIP, but my understanding is that the producers didn't design it this way. The voters put them both in the supporting category. Weird.

*But then, that might a very white way of looking at it. To me, the Black Panthers are more impressive insofar as it was a fairly decentralized, DIY thing of a lot of kids just trying to take care of their neighbors and stop the police from killing them. But the interviews I've seen with the creators of the film talk almost reverentially about Fred Hampton, insisting on calling him Chairman Fred in sort of the same way that they insist on calling MLK "Dr. King." But they seem to want to emphasize how well organized it was and that it was a "real" political party. I suppose I can understand why.

The same goes for a lot of women's history, the like the kerfuffle over calling Jill Biden "doctor." Where I'm from, PhDs are a dime a dozen and so they aren't usually referred to as Doctor in most conversations. It even feels a bit weird to me to refer to medical doctors that way. I always think "Get over yourself."

I've come to realize that I come from a culture where most people suffer from an excess of deference and really ought to try acting a bit more like human beings and a bit less like walking CVs. But people who are used to being disrespected - women, POC, etc. - don't live in that world, for the most part. I get that. I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post

I'm beginning to see this myself...
                        If you have a bit of time, have a look back through the Movie/TV Cliches thread where Various Artist elaborates on his teal/orange theorem.

Comment

We finished season 2 of Trapped, which finally arrived on Romanian Netflix. Trouble is that it is so long since we saw Season 1, that the occasional references to that storyline were a bit mystifying. Still that didn't happen much, and it didn't affect our enjoyment of the story. Also quite glad that they didn't try and crowbar in some kind of "trapped" storyline to fit the title. Recommended.

Now started on Deadwind, which is a Finnish cop show (we seem to go through phases of Nordic crime shows). Two episodes in and I'm not sure yet. The characters seem a bit overdrawn, and I feel like I have already solved the central crime, but we'll see about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

If you have a bit of time, have a look back through the Movie/TV Cliches thread where Various Artist elaborates on his teal/orange theorem.
                            Will do Sits, it does make sense from a colour scaling perspective, but I hadn't noticed just how prevalent it was.

Comment

VA analysed it particularly for movie posters, and I have to say I’ve noticed it ever since.

Comment

ad hoc , we also enjoyed Trapped S2, followed by The Valhalla Murders. However, we've also tried Bordertown for our nordic noir fix and found it lacking.

Comment

Other shorties we've tried and enjoyed are Unbelievable with Toni Collette about a real-life serial rapist case in the US.

And The Undoing with Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman, Donald Sutherland and a few others. Both recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    ad hoc , we also enjoyed Trapped S2, followed by The Valhalla Murders. However, we've also tried Bordertown for our nordic noir fix and found it lacking.
                                    I love Bordertown, I think it's superb. DCI Harry Batt is a fan too

Comment

Oh yes, absolutely loved it. Bloody dark at times mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        We finished season 2 of Trapped, which finally arrived on Romanian Netflix. Trouble is that it is so long since we saw Season 1, that the occasional references to that storyline were a bit mystifying. Still that didn't happen much, and it didn't affect our enjoyment of the story. Also quite glad that they didn't try and crowbar in some kind of "trapped" storyline to fit the title. Recommended.

Now started on Deadwind, which is a Finnish cop show (we seem to go through phases of Nordic crime shows). Two episodes in and I'm not sure yet. The characters seem a bit overdrawn, and I feel like I have already solved the central crime, but we'll see about that.

I'm so close to crafting a gag around Trapped Deadwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                          I don’t know. I enjoyed going down a wikihe reading about reel-change cues, also called “cigarette burns.”

[spoiler]

Some of the election stuff drags a bit, but overall, it adds a lot to the story. It’s actually central to it. He’s asked to support the Republican because his boss does and then his (fictional) friend sells out to make that very Trump-style newsreel thing and ends up killing himself over it, which is one of the things that triggers Mank’s meltdown and puking in Hearst castle, being chucked out of Hearst’s good graces, which contributes to his decision to partly (but not entirely) base Charles Foster Kane on Hearst.

The story is largely about the compromises one is asked to make to get along in business and the costs of making and not making those compromises.

Perhaps it could have included more about what happened after Citizen Kane was released, but all of that was already foreshadowed. He, essentially, never worked in this town again. Neither did Orson Wells, but that story has been told many times.
                                          Not sure how long Mank has been on Netflix in the UK but I finally got around to seeing it tonight. I know there was a lot of debate amongst North American based posters in December when it came out over there and I am largely in agreement with HP in the above and his other posts.

The gubernatorial election is absolutely central to the plot and gives Mank his ultimate motivation for the takedown of Hearst.

I don't think you have to be steeped in Hollywood output, folklore and techniques of the thirties and forties to enjoy the vast majority of the film but any knowledge of those things that you do have helps you appreciate the Easter Eggs and stylised touches.

Comment

We started watching "Your Honor" and, predictably, having Bryan Cranston as the star, it's pretty damn good. However, like a lot of shows, I'm really struggling with the tension and seeing the "inciting incident" ramping up in swirling, dizzying ripples of unforeseen consequences. This is not having a go at the scriptwriting or the plotting which is excellent but I wonder whether lockdown and the current state of the world makes me want to see "nice things happening to nice people" rather than seeing their lives spin out of control because of one mistake and then everything spiralling out of control or the "nice people" actually revealed as scheming monsters.

For instance, watching "Better Call Saul", which is a truly wonderful show, I started hoping that Jimmy and Kim would stop taking any risks and just settle down to a nice suburban life together without getting involved in anything that would upset the applecart. I'd grown to love them so much as characters that I wanted everything to work out for them and, of course, it being a prequel I have a certain amount of knowledge that that's just not going to happen which is stressful.

Comment

Taskmaster, now in its eleventh series, has made a very strong start. Charlotte Ritchie and Mike Wozniak were especially funny. After the dip in series 6 and especially the woeful series 7, looks like lessons about what this is all about have been taken on board and improvements made. Looking good.

Comment

Yes, Taskmaster has now officially taken over from Would I Lie To You as the most consistently funny show on TV.

My son discovered it last series followed by my daughter and then my wife so I'm now rewatching them all from the start again with the three of them while also taking in the new series.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2021, 00:13.

Comment

My wife adores Taskmaster​​​​​​.

Comment

Got around to seeing First Man yesterday. Excellent, well acted, beautifully made and quite educational re. early 60s NASA operations.

To be pernickety* could maybe have been half an hour shorter.

*is that the word I want?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X